• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ERROR [140] BOOTLOADER - back to original state

So its time to move on. I'm putting my hero back to the original. I went here and downloaded this -
RUU_Hero_Orange_UK_2.73.61.66

It starts the process fine then i get
"ERROR [140] BOOTLOADER VERSION ERROR
The rom update utility cannot update your android phone. Please get the correct ROM update utility and try again."

How do I know what is the correct ROM update? Do I have to flash an older version then do an OTA update? I have updated the radio could that be the reason?

FYI - I've had the Hero for 24 months on orange.

Reactions: RemArcs
Upvote 0
Thanks. But I think I'm being thick :rolleyes:

I've successfully done this-
Format the microSD card to FAT32 format.
Put the microSD card in your device and boot it.
Launch GoldCard Tool (Right Click and run as Admin if needed)
Connect Android device to USB (USB Debugging must be enabled on the device)
Click 'Get CID' (If MMC1 fails try MMC0)
Click the link to open revskills.de, enter the CID number from Goldcard Tool and create your goldcard image, which will be e-mailed to you.
Enable USB Mass Storage on the device.

But stuck here-
Click 'Refresh' and select your microSD card in the drop down menu.
Click 'Load GoldCard.img' and open the .img file you got by email.
Click 'Patch MMC'

Click refresh where? What drop down menu?

Sorry if i'm being painfully thick. (using windows XP)

Edit - Dont worry I am thick i have seen the error of my ways!!

Upvote 0
But stuck here-
Click 'Refresh' and select your microSD card in the drop down menu.
Click 'Load GoldCard.img' and open the .img file you got by email.
Click 'Patch MMC'

Click refresh where? What drop down menu?

Sorry if i'm being painfully thick. (using windows XP)

The options are all on the lower half of the goldcard tool under MMC tools:

post-105629-1274219266_thumb.png

Upvote 0
I'm still trying to put the original rom back on my hero.

I have made a goldcard and it is in my hero.

There are 3 roms to choose from on The HTC UK Support Download page

RUU_Hero_Orange_UK_2.73.61.5_release_signed_NoDriver.exe This gives me the ERROR [140] BOOTLOADER

RUU_Hero_Orange_UK_2.73.61.66_release_signed_NoDriver.exe This seems to be corrupt as it will not even run on my winXP. I have downloaded it a few times. I get a >SetupNew\setup.cpp (140) error.(haven't a clue what that is.)

Generic Hero Rom will not download as you have to enter your serial number to start download and it says its not the 'right' one.

Any ideas? Anywhere I can get an original rom that not from the htc site?

Upvote 0
There's a copy up on shipped.roms here.

I've done exactly this, flashed the .66 RUU over a custom ROM on a rooted handset, so it should work.

Thanks Slug. I've downloaded from your link but unfortunately I get the same result ERROR [140] BOOTLOADER

I have done a bit of research and it seems some SD card cant be made into a Goldcard so i've done it with 2 different makes. Another thought i had was i've updated to radio but i dont know enough to know if this makes a difference.

When I use the RUU it reads...
Rebooting for bootloader......
Erasing data.....
Sending........
Updating Signature..... At this point it seems to get half way though then - ERROR [140] BOOTLOADER on the RUU and Checking main version Update fail on the phone.:(:thinking:

Upvote 0
Radio won't make a difference. Dammit... I flashed this RUU onto my own running an Elelinux ROM a couple of months ago without any problems! Arghhhh! :thinking:

You're using the USB cable that came with the Hero, yes? Maybe try the cable in another port, preferably one on the backplane connected directly to the motherboard?

Used different cables, different usb ports, even wiped rom first as well. Is there a way of making sure the goldcard is doing what it should?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones