1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Error [140]: bootloader version error

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by atraum, Sep 16, 2012.

1. atraum

atraum Member
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    Central Illinois
    Ugh, I've tried no less than a dozen suggestions from here and xda to get this back up and running with no success so I'm reaching out to see if you can point me in the right direction. Some history first:
    1) Inherited a HTC Desire from a friend since he could no longer get it to work and was sick of trying to figure it out. Instead he got a iPhone (Ugh).
    2) My understanding is that it was rooted with Unrevoked at one time but am unsure of what was done after that to get it into the condition that I received it in.
    3) Originally on US Cellular and I'm not really interested in the phone features but would like to use it on my wifi network.
    4) When I received it it would not turn on normally. When the power button was pressed there would be 1 vibration but the screen would not come on.

After many hours of research and reading root FAQ's from here and XDA this is the path I took:
    Tried with HTC Sync installed and with in uninstalled (same error for both)
    1) Power w/ back into fastboot
    2) Confirmed fastboot connection with cmd fastboot device and it came back with HT087HM03100
    3) Ran the RUU from USCellular and it went through the following
    confirmed version 2.14.0.0
    after confirming update it results in confirmation of 2.14.0.0 to 2.11.573.5
    proceeded to reboot to bootloader, wait for bootloader, erasing user data, sending, updating radio, updating recovery, updating system and then it throws a ERROR [110]: FILE OPEN ERROR

After researching this error I go to alpharev and do a downgrade
    1) fastboot flash hboot bravo_downgrade.img
    2) fastboot reboot-bootloader
    3) fastboot erase cache

At this point I try to use the USCellular RUU again and this time it lights my screen and I have the HTC logo in the middle with exclamation points in all corners and the RUU utility throws a ERROR [140]: bootloader version error.

Powering on with the usb cable to screen and then unplugging usb shows the following:
    BRAVOC DVT2 SHIP S-ON
    HBOOT-1.06.000
    MICROP-051e
    TOUCH PANEL-SYNW0101
    RADIO-2.15.00.11.16
    Dec 22 2010, 16:16:39

The RUU is highlighted but does not allow selection with the power button and there are no other options. When I try to boot to recover, fastboot or regular it just pops up with a black screen with the htc logo and exclamation points (in triangles) in each corner.

I've read countless of forum threads on the issue but have yet to find anything to get me up and going. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisement

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Try running the RUU while the word RUU is highlighted. All I can think of.

Flashing an Alpharev hboot on a CDMA device was a mistake, as they are intended for GSM phones. That could hard brick the phone. But if it is showing hboot 1.06 you may have got away with that, i.e. it sounds like it has been replaced.

If you can't run the RUU in that state, the PB99IMG.zip method may be your best bet otherwise. I can't link as am on TapaTalk, but the usb unbrick guide in the All Things Root Guide sticky post tells you how to do this.

Good luck!

Tags: