• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Error [190] when using HTCDEV to update hboot on Desire HD

calle2012

Nov 25, 2013
Friends

I own a HTC Desire HD with the current specs:

ACE PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-2.00.0027
MICROP-0483
RADIO-26.14.04.28_M
eMMC-BOOT
Sep 7 2011, 19:06:24

I have been trying to unlock it now for a while and have been un-successful.

It seems the problem is I cannot update the hboot from the ...27 version to a newer one.

Here is what I have done and which does not work:

- I go to the HTCDEV site
- Then I start the process to Unlock the Bootloader
- I find that the page then tells me that my model needs an hboot update.
- Next I go down the list of carriers and ROM's and find the one I assume is the one I need, the hTC Asia WWE 3.13.707.4 PD9810000.
That is, I d/l the file PD9810000_Ace_Sense30_S_hboot_2.00.0029.exe.
My ROM is 3.13.707.3 and phone bought in China.

-Next I follow the instructions as described on the HTCDEV site.

- I run the .exe file above, in Admin mode on my Vista Pro 64 bit system.
- It starts up fine and runs all the way till it encounters an error that says "Error [190] ROM not updated"
then
"Your ROM version is not the latest version. Please upgrade to 3.13.707.3 to appy this RUU to be able to unlock your bootloader."

BUT, that is already the version I have installed!

I noticed that the program to update the hboot actually says that I have the version 3.13.707.3 installed and then it ask me if I want to install version 3.13.0.0! If I say OK then it gives me the error message above about the need to upgrade to version ...707.3. So it looks like it wants me to downgrade first to version 3.13.0.0 and then it gets confused.

If I got it correctly then I need the hboot version 2.00.0029 in order to be able to unlock my HD. But how can I go about doing it successfully?

Is there another RUU that I should download then?

Any good comments are welcome.

Thanks,
Calle2012

sounds like you are doing everything correctly. the .exe files are notoriously finicky. :mad:

i owuld suggest to simply extract rom.zip from the utility in this manner:
the .exe utilities can be finicky,so if you have trouble getting it to run, you can extract "rom.zip" in the following manner:
-start the utility
-check the "i understand" box to move on to the next screen
-hide the utility temporarily out of site
-search your C drive for "rom.zip". you will find it in a temporary location(it will be in a different spot each time you run the utility)
-open the folder location,and transfer rom.zip to a safe location on your PC.
-unhide and cancel the utility,youre done with it.
-rom.zip can be renamed to PxxxIMG and flashed in hboot,from a FAT32 sd card

then flash it in this manner:
if youre working with a booted,operational phone,you can flsh the file in the following manner:

-open a cmd window

-change to adb/fastboot directory
cd c:\foldername
(cd c:\mini-adb if youve used any of my guides :))

-place the zip file you want to flash into adb/fastboot directory

-enable usb debug,disable fastboot,plug in phone

-check for connectivity
adb devices (should return serial number)

-boot to fastboot
adb reboot bootloader

-check for connectivity again
fastboot devices

-flash the file
fastboot erase cache

fastboto oem rebootRUU (will put you in ruu mode,black screen silver htc letters)

fastboot flash zip zipfilename.zip (will send and flash the file. dont interupt it while the cmd window shows its writinging,and the green status bar is moving on the phone screen)

*sometimes a file will fail with a pre-update error. this is normal,just enter again:
fastboot flash zip zipfilename.zip
and this time it will finish

-when you get "finished" and "OK"
fastboot reboot-bootloader (takes you back to fastboot)

-reboot back to the OS
fastbooot reboot

you can use this if you dont have an operational phone as well. you just need to manually put the phone in fastboot(select from hboot menu) then skip the "adb" commands and start with fastboot devices

hopefully that will get your hboot updated :)

Upvote 0
Thanks, Scotty

Unfortunately I cannot find the rom.zip file on my system after I start that PD9810000_Ace_Sense30_S_hboot_2.00.0029.exe file! I searched everywhere, even in non-indexed folders. So no update of the hboot yet. :(

Also, you wrote>
-change to adb/fastboot directory
cd c:\foldername
(cd c:\mini-adb if youve used any of my guides :))

I am not sure what guide you are talking about and how to get the files obviously needed to continue. Please point me to the right direction, will you.

Thanks
Calle

Upvote 0
Hi again

I manage to get the rom.zip out from the .exe, but you should revise your instructions a little. :p

You wrote>
-check the "i understand" box to move on to the next screen
-hide the utility temporarily out of site
-search your C drive for "rom.zip". you will find it in a temporary location(it will be in a different spot each time you run the utility)

Actually, I needed to go one step further for it to extract the rom file. I needed to check the "I completed the steps indicated above", on the next page, and then press Next. Then I found the rom file.

But, please instruct me how to continue now so I can perform those fastboot commands you mention.

Thanks
Calle

Upvote 0
Hi Scotty

I have now managed to get my phone unlocked, but got stuck in the following>

I want to permanently install the recovery.

You wrote in [how to]unlock,install recovery,and root with htcdev

-move the recovery image file from the zip file you downloaded above and place it into the mini-adb folder. rename the image to "ace_recovery_ext_4"

Ok, I downloaded the PD98IMG_ace_recovery_ext_4.zip file. The first one got me one with bad MD5 but a later one got me the right one.

Inside that zip file I found two files:
- recovery.img
- android-info.txt

I pulled out that .img file and renamed it "ace_recovery_ext_4" per your instructions. I made sure it is in the mini-adb folder.
But when run the command fastboot flash recovery .img
then I get the error:

C:\mini-adb_HD>fastboot flash ace_recovery_ext_4.img
unknown partition 'ace_recovery_ext_4.img'
error: cannot determine image filename for 'ace_recovery_ext_4.img'

I tried to rename that file recovery.img but it did not make any difference.

Also, tried leaving out the .img at the end of the ace_recovery_ext_4.img but no differrent.

What am I doing wrong?:(

Thanks
Calle

Upvote 0
you are not executing the command correctly,wich is not your fault. i went to double check the commands and found the name as been left out of both permanent and temorary recoveries. not sure what has happened,this is not the first time the thread has somehow mysteriously changed :thinking:

my apologies for the confusion :eek:

you should be entering:

fastboot flash recovery imagename.img

i.e.,recovery named ace_recovery_ext_4:

fastboot flash recovery ace_recovery_ext_4.img

again,sorry for the confusion,not sure what happened but i will go correct them now :)

Reactions: D-U-R-X
Upvote 0
Thanks, Scotty

One more question before I try, please. :D

You wrote>
-rom.zip can be renamed to PxxxIMG and flashed in hboot,from a FAT32 sd card

Should I not put in any numbers for the "x":es in the new PxxxIMG file name? Or does it not matter?

Thanks so much, and God Bless!:p
Calle

the "xxx" is different for all htc devices. nearly all have a model id that is something along those lines(newer ones P may be something else,aka xxxxIMG :eek: )

the ace model(desire hd and inspire 4g in the us) are PD98IMG

thunderbolt is PG05IMG

evo3d is PG36IMG

just to give a couple other examples. :)

so if you want to use that method on your DHD,you need to name the file PD98IMG

Upvote 0
Thanks again, Scotty

It worked with your clear instructions.

I just did the backup of the original rom by accessing the recovery, and it worked nicely. I also installed the superuser files.

I am planning to install either CodefireX Android 4.2.2 or the 4.2.2 CM10.1on the phone, but am not sure which one. Or maybe some even newer? Do you have any recommendation for me?

Also, both pages where they talk about installing those they say you need to have ClockWork Mod Recovery installed. Do I really need it? I mean, does the 4ext I think I already have installed to the same thing?

Thanks for all your good help!
Calle

Upvote 0
Ok, I installed ClockworkMod on my HD. Then I got followed these instructions>
From [ROM][UNOFFICIAL] CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightlies / Releases [SR3] - xda-developers

Download Nightlies / Releases [Goo.im mirror]
Download gapps (goo.im/gapps)
  1. Put the files on SD card.
  2. Reboot to recovery.
  3. Do factory reset (ie. format /data, /cache, /sd-ext and /sdcard/.android_secure)
  4. Flash cm-10.1-xxxxxxxx-UNOFFICIAL-ace.zip
  5. Flash gapps-jb-xxxxxxxx-signed.zip
  6. Reboot and enjoy.

I got the following releases from Goo.im:
cm-10.1-20131125-UNOFFICIAL-ace-SR3.zip
and
gapps-jb-20130812-signed.zip

I am not totally sure I got the right gapps one, though.

Then I put those two files on my SD card, booted into Recovery and flashed the new ROM. I was not sure if I should also flash the gapps before doing a reboot. So I did a reboot. But then I got stuck on the white HTC boot screen for at least 20 minutes!
Ok, next I took the battery out and put it back in.
Then I re-did the flash of the ROM from the ClockworkMod, and then also flashed the gapps before rebooting.
But the same thing happened, I got stuck on the white HTC boot screen.

Next I booted into the Recovery and recovered a backup and got the phone working again.

What is going wrong here? Should I flash using fastboot commands from my PC instead of doing it from the phone's Recovery?

Any suggestions are welcome. I mean, i now finally have the phone unlocked so I really want to try out a newer Android than the 2.3.5 version!

Thanks
Calle

Upvote 0
s on phones are not able to install the boot image from recovery. your rom will not boot becasue you have not installed a cm10.1 compatible kernel.

your options for recovery are:
1)restore a nandroid backup,wich will use the same kernel currently on your phone

2) boot your recovery into phone memory,and flash your rom again from there. other devices,let this method install the kernel. there are a handful of devices it does not work on,so youll just have to try it. more info here: http://androidforums.com/rezound-all-things-root/587430-s-want-flash-roms-read.html

this is in the rezound forum,but the info applies- just use a merge specific discovery

3)install the boot image manually. in a nutshell,put the boot image into your adb/fastboot directory and install it in fastboot with fastboot flash boot boot.img

more info on s on manual rom installing here: http://androidforums.com/rezound-all-things-root/499172-how-manually-flash-roms.html#post3933400

once you get back to a working phone,i would highly recomend to try and become s off/supercid. it will make your rom flashing experinces much happier,plus an odd quirk with the merge seems to be the bootloader periodically relocks itself :thinking: its well worth your efforts to become s off.

Upvote 0
Thanks, Scotty

I am not exactly sure if I understand you correctly, but I did get back to the 2.3.5 version I had doing the Recovery from the phone.

So, are you saying I now need to do these steps, found in your "Manually flash your ROM" page>

10)wipe and flash your rom with the onscreen menus on your phone. minimally wipe data/factory reset,cache,and dalvik cache. some rom developers are reccomending to also wipe or format /system and /boot.

if youve come from another rooted phone,youre prolly pretty familiar with steps 9 and 10. theyre not any different than what your used to seeing.

once the rom finishes flashing,you would normally be fininished and select "reboot system now" or similar. but on the rezound,you need to install the kernel,as you cant write to the boot partition,wich is where the kernel lives,from recovery.

11)boot back to fastboot: back to the pc,type:
adb devices
you should get back "HTxxxxxxx recovery"
if so,then
adb reboot bootloader

12)flash your kernel(boot image)
fastboot flash boot<boot image name>.img
where <boot image name> is exactly the name of your boot image inside the adb/fastboot folder. note that the command fastboot flashis permanently installing the boot image,unlike fasboot boot,wich is only booting it temporarily into the phones memory.

youll see a very quick blue,then red status bar at the top right of your hboot screen as your pc sends,then flashes your kernel.

wait for the "ok" that your kernel has flashed

13)reboot. just type in your comand window:
fastboot reboot

your phone will now reboot. assuming you flashed the kernel that came with your rom,it will boot back into the OS. dont panic if it takes a few minutes,the first boot will take what seems like forever. i know mine will have sat there so long,id swear its hung,but then on pop the softkey lights and everything is fine. give the first boot a minimum of 20 minutes.

Or, am I missing something? In oder words, is the only difference that I need to do the flashing from fastboot on my PC and not from the phone?

I am not sure I want to do the s off yet, as I was not really sure of the instructions. :(

Thanks for all your good help.
Calle

Upvote 0
Thanks again, Scotty

Sorry but I need some more input here.

For the line in your instructions that says >

12)flash your kernel(boot image)
fastboot flash boot<boot image name>.img
where <boot image name> is exactly the name of your boot image inside the adb/fastboot folder.

I downloaded the following ROM:
cm-10.1-20131125-UNOFFICIAL-ace-SR3.zip

It seems to have several files in it, one of them being boot.img. Shall I give the command: fastboot flash bootcm-10.1-20131125-UNOFFICIAL-ace-SR3.zip
or extract the boot.ini from within that zip file?

Thanks again
Calle

Upvote 0
Hmm, I must be misunderstanding things here.
You talk about two things, ROM flashing and boot.img! ROM flashing is the Android 4.2.1 or something update, and boot.img is another thing, right?
But can I use the boot.img in the cm-10.1-20131125-UNOFFICIAL-ace-SR3.zip file, or which boot.img should I use?

Are you saying that once I do hte fastboot flash boot <bootimagename>.img then I can do the ROM install from the phone itself?

Sorry to ask you all these questions but I rather not mess things up too much.

Calle

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
sorry for the late responses,glad you are sorted. :)

i thot the manually flash roms link was specific enuff to provide the info you needed,but to answer a couple of your questions:

-the boot image is simply found in whatever rom you intend to flash. if you need to restore a nandroid,you will need to find a boot image inside that nandroid. it will be easier to do these things on the PC,and it is only possible to flash the boot image from the PC,so downloading and flashing a rom to your phone "on the go" is not an option. the boot images are simply placed into the same folder that you have the adb and fastboot utilities( android if you followed htcdevs instructions, miniadb if youve followed any of my guides.

-the rom itself is flashed via the phones recovery menus. that part does not change. its just the boot image that needs flashed via the pc,with the phone in fastboot mode.

my personaly order when s-on flashing:
-pull boot image from rom,move to fastboot folder
-place rom on phones sd card
-boot to recovery,make backup,flash new rom
-boot phone to fastboot,flash boot image from pc
-reboot

but technically,it does not really matter if the boot image is flashed first or second. it just needs flashed before the phone will boot ;) you could easily do that first,if you prefer to.

-the s off directions are here: http://androidforums.com/desire-hd-...-s-off-simunlock-supercid-inspire-4g-dhd.html and that is about as clear as i am able to make them ;) youve allready done the first part,wich is to htcdev unlock. youll need to install a stock rom to do the process.

just holler if you have questions :)

Upvote 0
Thanks, again, Scotty

I am now exploring the wonderful world of Jelly Bean 4.2.2 :)

I notice a few quirks in the system and some things function in a very different way than in the HTC's version 2.3.5. But that is ok.

Can you tell me if there exists a forum that is dedicated to questions about the CyanegonMod ROM's, for example for asking questions about why or why not this or that...? Not too technical but for the end user. :rolleyes:

BTW, what does stock rom actually mean? Does it mean an official ROM that HTC puts out, like what was on my phone before I updated it? If so, then I would need to get rid of my update to install the Stock ROM before being able to do an s-off etc.

BTW2, what is actually that supercid thing?

Sorry for all these questions. :shakehands:
Calle

Upvote 0
Thanks, again, Scotty

I am now exploring the wonderful world of Jelly Bean 4.2.2 :)

I notice a few quirks in the system and some things function in a very different way than in the HTC's version 2.3.5. But that is ok.

Can you tell me if there exists a forum that is dedicated to questions about the CyanegonMod ROM's, for example for asking questions about why or why not this or that...? Not too technical but for the end user. :rolleyes:
i have not heard of such a forum. best place to ask those sorts of questions is in the roms development thread.

BTW, what does stock rom actually mean? Does it mean an official ROM that HTC puts out, like what was on my phone before I updated it? If so, then I would need to get rid of my update to install the Stock ROM before being able to do an s-off etc.
correct. you would need to go back to how your phone came(or how a stock phone came). you can make a backup of your current rom if you like it,then simply restore that after the s off process is done

BTW2, what is actually that supercid thing?
cid is "carrier id" or "custom id" and basically tells the phone wich ruus it is allowed to have installed. for example,cid for phones with 3.12.401.1 is HTC__001

supercid is "11111111" and it basically tells the phone not to do any carrier id checks,and to allow any ruu to flash to the phone. the benefit of this is that there are a broader selection of ruus wich can be run in order to rescue a soft bricekd device. also,it makes some custom files that are flashed in the bootloader(like a recovery for example) easier to flash

Sorry for all these questions. :shakehands:
Calle

no prollem on the questions,hope that helps :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones