1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support error 7 and bootloops flashing new roms

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by bluebla, Aug 18, 2016.

1. bluebla

bluebla Lurker
    None

Aug 18, 2016
    Female
    I'm noob to roms for Android. I've been trying to flash Cyanogenmod marshmallow on my new Moto G 1st gen XT1034. My custom recovery is TWRP, and I can connect to my pc via usb just fine.

Tried flashing three different builds of Cyanogen marshamallow, as well as 3 other marshmallow roms (crdroid, cyanpop, and Resurrection Remix), and I've made sure they are all for Falcon. Every time I get an error code 7 on first try.

I found out how to get around that by deleting the assert lines of code in the updater-script and it does install, but when it reboots I get stuck in a bootloop. I wait 20 to 40 mins for it to boot.

Before every install I wipe dalvik cache, cache, data, and system 2-3 times. I've tried all this with all the roms in both TWRP and PhilZ (same results in PhilZ). I appreciate any and all the help guys!!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Advertisement

2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    Welcome to AF, @bluebla :).

Have you verified the MD5 or SHA1 sum of the ROM download (that would ensure a good download and rule-out issues related to that)?

Also, what lines are you removing from the updater-script file? Normally, for a ROM flash, you should NOT have to remove any lines--especially the ones near the top that verify and cross-check things like that you've got the proper device, enough battery, etc..

3. bluebla

bluebla Lurker
    None

Aug 18, 2016
    Female
    Aw thanks! :)

I deleted the "assert" lines before the "ui_print" line on all the roms. I did it out of desperation because NONE of the roms would flash even though they were all for Falcon FOR SURE.

I googled how to check the sha1 for cyanogenmod but I couldn't find anything. How do I check that? I kinda doubt ALL the roms I downloaded were bad downloads, though. Especially cyanogenmod which I downloaded multiple times for multiple builds.

Another thing I recently tried is use older versions of the recoveries. I flashed a couple of older versions of both TWRP and PilZ but same results.

4. scary alien

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    The ROM dev should be publishing an MD5 or SHA1 sum (checkdigit) for the publish ROM which you can compare to the value that you get when you download and re-calculated it--see this thread for more details about how to do that:

I'm guessing that you're trying to flash a ROM that is not compatible with the kernel that you've got installed--and that's what the assert lines were checking for--and that's what is/was causing your boot loops.

In almost all cases, those assert lines are there for a very good reason ;) :).

5. bluebla

bluebla Lurker
    None

Aug 18, 2016
    Female
    I've checked the md5/sh1 of some of the ROMs and they're okay.
    How do I match up the kernels/roms? Just tried flashing OrionOS which has it's own custom kernel and it gave me an error 7. Also tried flashing stock rom and it gave me error 7. Is my phone bricked?

6. scary alien

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    The kernels and ROMs must be matched-up by Android version (i.e., if you're using a 5.x ROM you need to have a 5.x kernel).

Not familiar with your particular device, but I wouldn't give up hope just yet as you've got the ability to flash, you just need to find the right things.

We've got three Moto G areas here and here are the root areas to the first two (the third one is clearly not the 1st gen version (it's says it's the "2015" version)):

You might find threads and folks in the proper one above that is helpful to you.

7. bluebla

bluebla Lurker
    None

Aug 18, 2016
    Female
    I think I'm going to exchange my phone since it's still new, but thanks for your help!