• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Error message

RASelkirk

Oct 27, 2015
SETX, USA
Hi All,

I just installed P.I.A.'s VPN on my (T-Mobile) phone and now the phone will no longer do WiFi calling. When I toggle the "WiFi calling preferred", it looks good for a minute or two, then: Error: ER081 "Unable to Connect". When I stop the VPN, it all works as usual.

So, what exactly does this error mean and how to fix it?

TIA!

Russ

Hi All,

I just installed P.I.A.'s VPN on my (T-Mobile) phone and now the phone will no longer do WiFi calling. When I toggle the "WiFi calling preferred", it looks good for a minute or two, then: Error: ER081 "Unable to Connect". When I stop the VPN, it all works as usual.

So, what exactly does this error mean and how to fix it?

TIA!

Russ
Hey do you know how to access developer options on your phone? If not here's how to do so.. Go to settings select the about phone option. Scroll down to Build Number tap it seven times. It will now say you are a developer. Now get out of the about phone option and it will say Developer options above it. select Developer options. Turn on developer options Enable Aggressive Wi-Fi to Cellular Handing. If this doesn't fix your issue try Selecting (USE Legacy DHCP client this may also help. I hope this works for you. If not give me an update and I can do some more digging for you.

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
From your description you have the P.I.A VPN app installed on your phone so it's just being applied to just your phone, yes? Just to clarify, you do not have P.I.A installed on your router so it applies to everything connected to your home network.
Their Play Store page has a support contact email address:
helpdesk@privateinternetaccess.com
Might be worth just sending them a message, hopefully there's just some setting(s) in the app that needs to be changed to enable things like WiFi calling to pass through properly.

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
A VPN is generally a good thing to have set up on your phone. If you left it installed, is disabling/enabling it just for WiFi calling a viable option?

It prolly would, I'm just frustrated that none of this high tech ch!t ever seems to work according to plan. I have PIA on my home 'puter and cannot send e-mail w/o disconnecting first. Can't see my modem or router "homepages" yet can get to all of my networked stuff. I'm old and not as sharp as I once was, but I've dealt with computers longer than most readers in here have been alive! So, gotta ask, WTF? Pay good money for half a product...

Russ

Upvote 0
This is an old thread, but I have the same problem (and error message).

When VPN is enabled WIFI Calling fails.

It was not PIA VPN causing the problem. It seems like it is any VPN.

I'm using CyberGhost 6 for Android. I assume making an exception for the WIFI calling service would fix the problem but my VPN has not allowed exceptions yet on the Android version.

On a PC I can add exceptions for any URL or IP and then just that service will bypass the VPN. Not only is turning the service on and off for certain features annoying and slow, it exposes everything else on your device to the internet. On a phone this means I just can't use the VPN because then I couldn't get inbound calls.

Anyone have any suggestions for a work around or know of a VPN that allows exceptions on Android?

BTW: Your PIA support must totally suck! They should have been able to solve all your PC issues!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones