1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Error when booting to Recovery

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by egernant, Oct 17, 2014.

1. egernant

egernant Well-Known Member

Like many others today, I'm trying to flash the new dev preview of Lollipop to my N5. I tried to do so following a youtube demo and when I flashed the .bat file to my phone, I got an error and had to hard-reset the phone.

I figured it was probably a good time to make a nandroid backup. I booted to fastboot, then clicked Recovery, only to have it take me to a screen with the opened-up Android with a red triangle and exclamation point, indicating there was an error. Do I just not have a recovery program installed?

I am unlocked, but not rooted. I'm running stock 4.4.4 at this point. What should I do?

Thanks!
    Erik

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Incakola

Incakola Android Enthusiast

First off you never flash anything that's not a .ZIP file extension and that's not compatible with your device.. That .bat extension was probably meant for Windows os... It seems you've corrupted your recovery partition and you need to write to recovery again with the same recovery you used to make the backup...

3. egernant

I flashed it using a command prompt in Windows while my phone was plugged in and booted to Fastboot mode.

Also, I should have clarified, I was getting the recovery error before today. It's not a result of the failed flash.

How do I go about writing to recovery again? I have Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit, which I used the first time around to unlock / root / unroot. I'm not an advanced user.

4. egernant

5. Incakola

flash-all.bat flashes all the partitions...your data is gone dude...The guy in the youtube vid is a jacka** for not saying (at the moment when he ran that bat file) that the script he made you run will erase essentially everything and rewrite all the partitions with the L preview images. The guy says it will erase everything after like 3 minutes in after the .bat was ran.

6. Incakola

Did you at least saved your nandroid backup on your pc?

7. egernant

see here's the thing - once I hard-reset the phone, it boots right back up into 4.4.4 with all of my data. Nothing was erased. Must not have gotten that far in the flashing process before hitting the error.

I went back to Wug's toolkit and rooted my device, which flashed TWRP in the process. I can not boot into recovery, so that's good. Making a backup now.

Here's the error I get in the command prompt (leaving the times and file sizes out, but otherwise including every step start to finish):

This is from the top right after hitting "Enter" after typing "flash-all.bat"

Writing 'bootloader'...
    OKAY
    finished.
    rebooting into bootloader...
    OKAY
    finished.
    < waiting for device >
    target reported max download size of 1073741824 bytes
    sending 'radio'
    OKAY
    writing 'radio'
    OKAY
    finished.
    rebooting into bootloader...
    FAILED <command write failed ,Unknown error>>
    finished.
    archive does not contain 'boot.sig'
    archive does not contain 'recovery.sig'
    archive does not contain 'system.sig'
    error: out of memory

8. Incakola

You may need to revert your bootloader (unless its hhk11) and radio but if your dying to try the L preview don't use the .bat files (never ever). You can literally flash each partition one by one. To do this, all the .IMG files need to be in the same folder (plateform-tools or the mini-sdk folder with adb files) you are opening a command prompt in.

Optional (ignore the [ ] ):
    Fastboot flash recovery [the file name.img]
    Fastboot flash bootloader [name.img]
    Fastboot flash radio [name.img]

Vital:
    Fastboot flash boot [name.img]
    Fastboot flash system [name.img]
    Fastboot flash data [name.img] (This will erase everything including backups)
    Fastboot flash cache [name.img]

These are the commands that flash .img to a partition on our devices. Make sure the image you are writing is suppose to be written in that partition.

egernant likes this.
  9. egernant

thanks! I got it to work. The issue was that I was using an outdated version of the ABD files. I downloaded the most recent SDK from google and did everything from the platform_tools folder. Worked perfectly. Good to know about the .bat files. I'll keep that in mind.

Nexus 5 Forum

The Nexus 5 release date was November 2013. Features and Specs include a 4.95" screen, 8MP camera, Snapdragon 800 processor, 2300mAh battery, and 2GB storage.

November 2013
Release Date
Reviews