• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Es Chat for PTT on the G'zOne 4G LTE

I haven't used eschat but I have used Zello. What's cool about Zello is that you can map the PTT button to the tactical button - where the PTT button should be.

Another option is from twisted pair but that is a pseudo mission critical solution that is pricy but works well - to hear them tell it.

There is also prip that is interoperable with iDEN networks in other countries but it comes with a monthly reoccurring charge so unless you need that capability it's probably not worth it. Prop assigns you a UFI just like the old Nextel days.

The problem is balancing latency with battery life. If the phone is always connected to the server then it will have low latency but terrible battery life. If you introduce some poll scheduling to improve battery life then the delay in the initial call setup increases and performance and perception suffers.

Nothing is going to work as well as good old fashion Nextel iDEN (which doesn't exist any more) but I wish you luck.

Reactions: SurrealOne
Upvote 0
We did test the Zello but found Es chat to be much quicker and easy to manage. And yes you can map the button. Thanks for the feedback
Oh how we miss our Nextel :( But this Es chat is pretty damn close.

The company I used to work for had Nextels and were "updated" to a Sprint piece of crap. Something bla bla bla military-grade--bla bla bla. The software on the phones was buggier/glitchier than even the Nextel Motorolas were. Worst phone I've ever put my hands one.

A good PTT feature would be fantastic on these.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones