• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help ES File Explorer Alternative

jo69

Android Enthusiast
May 29, 2013
I have used ES Explorer for years. It is so handy transferring files from my phone to tablet and my pc.
But it has had bad reviews and now not on google play
So unable to add it to my new phone.
Can anyone suggest a simple program that will enable me connect my gadgets with a couple of clicks?
Most of the file explorers seem so complicated when I try them. I cant figure them out.

Can anyone suggest a simple program that will enable me connect my gadgets with a couple of clicks?

I've used one called X-Plore File Manager for several years which will do this with a million other options, too, can't remember if I paid for it or if it was free. Although it has a ton of tools and utils, it's pretty easy to use as well.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200208-212509.jpg
    Screenshot_20200208-212509.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 332
Reactions: jungleexplorer
Upvote 0
Just trying X-plore. Doesn't seem as simple as ES for me. It is finding my tablet from my phone, but not my pc.
All new to me.
Looked at Solid but I couldn't figure it out
Since I'm an oldie it is hard, even though I love my pc and technology lol

Upvote 0
I use File Manager + by "Flashlight + Clock". It is titled File Manager on Google Play.

It is very intuitive and has an easy to use interface. It can access device internal storage, sd card storage, network storage devices and cloud storage.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.alphainventor.filemanager
Just downloaded File Manager
Like the simple look of the screen
But not sure how to use it
Any help would be great
I click on a photo on my phone and then send then file Manager but nothing happened

Upvote 0
I have used ES Explorer for years. It is so handy transferring files from my phone to tablet and my pc.
But it has had bad reviews and now not on google play
So unable to add it to my new phone.
Most of the file explorers seem so complicated when I try them. I cant figure them out.
You can search in on google to re download it

Upvote 0
I use several, among them:

- Explorer: connects easily to all of my networked [Linux] computers and their external drives, as well as cloud services (Dropbox, Drive); my favorite perk is that you can assign your own icons--which is not the same as using different icon packs.

- FX File Explorer: makes it a point to tout privacy; connects easily to everything as above.

- Solid Explorer: not my favorite, but it's okay; connects as above.

And others. Please note that mine are all paid versions.

Reactions: MrJavi
Upvote 0
You can search in on google to re download it
Or just go to their website to get the current version.

Just keep in mind that they were booted off Play for a reason! Even though their current version isn't the one that got booted, I'd still warn using it with caution. A lot of it's in Chinese, and is very likely phoning home like before...

Upvote 0
I use several, among them:

- Explorer: connects easily to all of my networked [Linux] computers and their external drives, as well as cloud services (Dropbox, Drive); my favorite perk is that you can assign your own icons--which is not the same as using different icon packs.
I have this one's "big brother" Root Explorer (from the days when all of my devices were rooted). I use it less because I don't use it's root features currently, but yes, that has always worked fine for me. The non-root version I think only differs in lacking the extra features that require root.

Upvote 0
I have this one's "big brother" Root Explorer (from the days when all of my devices were rooted). I use it less because I don't use it's root features currently, but yes, that has always worked fine for me. The non-root version I think only differs in lacking the extra features that require root.
That's been my go to file manager for years.

Upvote 0
Their new version sucks keeps crashing and freezong
You're better off without it! :D

I have to admit that it took me some time to fully wean off its last Play Store version--which I paid for!--because I relied on it to create APKs of all my paid apps, for backups. But, you know, we adjust!

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Thank you for all the suggestions Am still missing ES Explorer
It was so simple to use I could move a whole folder full of files in second from my tablet to my phone or to my computer.
Also use the Add to desktop option.
Tried so far..X plore. I can access the PC from my phone on it ( it takes awhile) not tablets though. Also FX.
Couldn't figure out Solid.
File Manager + will access my computer. Not tablets
Not got a clue what SMB is.
Have found with them all so far I have to add details to access pc.
I must have been very lucky fiding ES years ago as that was the only one i ever used
Looks like I am back to using wireso_O

Upvote 0
A hat tip to you that you're looking to change to a different file manager app -- ES was at one time a very highly regarded file manager app, but after it was bought out by a different company a few years ago its shiny features became really tarnished.

Anyway, your request for a simple replacement with a low learning curve is something that's a very subjective point. What's good for someone else isn't necessarily what's going to be good for you. I'd suggest something like this 'Moto File Manager' app, or 'Explorer' app as their default user interfaces have at least a similar 'look and feel' to ES Explorer.
Moto
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lenovo.FileBrowser2
Explorer
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.speedsoftware.explorer
But these are just non-specific suggestions. You might want to just go to the Play Store yourself to find something that appeals to you.
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=file manager no ads&c=apps
We can all tout our favorites but this is something you should decide on based on what you are most comfortable using. Pay a lot of attention to the screen captures each file manager app provides in their respective Play Store page. They will show each app's default user interface and see what appeals to you -- functionally they are more or less equivalent, it's the user interfaces that vary so much (... and the user interface is how you interact with the app).

What phone do you have? If a Samsung model, there's a pre-installed file manager, Samsung's 'My Files' app. It's a pretty good, basic file manager with a clean, user-friendly interface of its own that you might want to try out:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sec.android.app.myfiles&hl=en_US

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
To easily move files from one android device to another, use NitroShare from F-Droid.

It uses Wi-Fi and is exceptionally simple, just use the share feature on your file manager, and have the app installed and open on both devices.

If you want more bells and whistles, try TrebleShot, also on F-Droid.
It is more secure, but more difficult to use and to set up.

Upvote 0
Just downloaded File Manager
Like the simple look of the screen
But not sure how to use it
Any help would be great
I click on a photo on my phone and then send then file Manager but nothing happened

I don't do file transfers from my phone to my PC directly, rather I use File Manager + to copy to a network storage drive and then copy from the network drive to my PC. Alternately, I could copy to a Cloud storage site and then from there to my PC.

You can set up access to your phone from within File Manager + using the "Access from..." feature on the main File Manager + screen. File Manager + sets up a service on the phone to allow phone files to be accessed from a PC using an FTP IP address and port number that it assigns. I don't use this feature because as far as I know it only allows single file by file transfers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones