• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ES File Explorer - cannot find server when password protected sharing is turned off.

pjmartins

Lurker
May 7, 2012
I'm trying to access shared files on a PC running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. If I turn off password protected sharing on the PC, I can access it fine using anonymous login, however when it is turned on, I get a cannot find server error when trying to log in. I'm able to access my shares fine with another PC using the same username and password. I've also tried <machine_name>\<user> but still no luck. Any ideas?

I'm trying to access shared files on a PC running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. If I turn off password protected sharing on the PC, I can access it fine using anonymous login, however when it is turned on, I get a cannot find server error when trying to log in. I'm able to access my shares fine with another PC using the same username and password. I've also tried <machine_name>\<user> but still no luck. Any ideas?

not sure if this is a computer issue or an app issue. seems to me that es is not communicating the correct password.

Upvote 0

I may be wrong here, there are others more knowledgeable about this than I, but I believe what may be happening is to access password protected files you have to be part of the homegroup and granted access at the user level from the PC. I am not sure if this is possible with a tablet, I haven't tried yet but will this evening after I get home from work.

Reactions: argedion
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones