1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

ES File Explorer file sharing questions

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by droid_clueless, Jan 17, 2016.

1. droid_clueless

My android tablet is set up to share files via LAN with two pcs, WINXP and WIN7.

When I click on LAN>WINXP in ES File Explorer, there are some folders named ADMIN$, C$, etc. I can access all the other folders on WINXP except these. When I try to access these folders, I get a "Login fails" message. What are they?

The WIN7 pc is set up the same way as the WINXP pc to share all folders with everyone. But I can only access a single folder in ES File Explorer on the D drive of WIN7. Accessing the other folders results in the "Login fails" message.

What can be the problem? TIA

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. UncleMike

UncleMike Android Expert

The share names ending in $ are "hidden" shares. They're not visible when you're accessing the machine from another Windows machine because Windows is designed to not show them. Most other clients (like ES File Explorer) will show them. That said, accessing those shares requires that you connect to the machine using an account that's a member of the local administrators group on that machine. It sounds like you're accessing both machines issuing a guest or non-administrator account, and that the first machine has most shares setup with no restrictions, whereas the second one is a bit more secure.

3. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Extreme Android User

unless you know Windows OS intimately, stay away from any $ symbol folder....
    you can royally muck things up fast in those folders.

on the other hand, you can change the defaults in the Windows folders options to show All Files, even the $ystem files....
    But CAVEAT EMPTOR prevails...... delete something that is critical and you will be doing a new Windows install from scratch.

4. droid_clueless

Thanks for the responses. I figured out why some of the WIN7 folders could not be accessed in ES File Explorer, and fixed it.

There are actually two levels of Permissions windows in WIN7. I only granted permissions in Properties/Sharing/Advanced Sharing/Permissions. This is what the online tutorials suggested, but is insufficient. In addition, after I granted permissions in Properties/Security, all the folders are now accessible in ES File Explorer. This is one key step missed in these online tutorials.

5. UncleMike

UncleMike Android Expert

The permissions shown under Security are (or can be) specified at the object level (an object being a file or folder), and can be very granular. These apply to all users, whether accessing the files via a share or via the local console. Permissions shown under Sharing are much less granular, apply only to access via the specific share, and can further restrict (but not expand) a user's access beyond those listed under Security.