• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help ES File Explorer help needed

Here's my steps for sharing my music:

On my PC
1) Right click My Music -> Properties -> Sharing tab -> Share button
2) Selected my username (not the Homegroup account)
3) Also click Advanced Sharing, check "Share this Folder"
3) Control Panel -> Windows Firewall -> Turn Windows Firewall On or Off -> turn off private network firewall (Public is on with "Notify me when Windows Firewall blocks an incoming connection" checked)

On my phone:
1) Open ES File Explorer -> Lan tab
2) Add new server
3) Server <ip of computer>/share name ex: 192.168.1.10/music
4) Your user name on the PC
5) Your password on the PC

This will not work if you aren't on your local WiFi. Unless you know what you're doing and setup a dyndns account and do some port forwarding...but then you've just opened up a big security hole :)

Finally got my connection working... Of course Micro$oft hid the setting needed to fix the "username & password" problem...

I think there's one important step memoceio left out, which I needed to fix. On my PC (win7 ultimate, 64-bit), i have a Username but "no" Password, so windows starts up without any sign-in screen.

As memoceio mentioned
1) Right click a folder (i.e. My Music) -> Properties -> Sharing tab

2) At the bottom of that window, click on the hyperlink "Network and Sharing Center"

3) Scroll down and select "Turn off password protected sharing" and Save changes

4) May need to restart ES File Explorer for it to detect the changes

Also, in my case, I was able to leave on windows private network firewall. I didn't have to open up any ports.

I think this will do the trick for most people, in addition to adjusting folder permissions.

Upvote 0
Thanks to all in this thread that have given such good advice. I am trying to view/edit shared files on my home network computer, running windows XP Service Pak 3 (I believe). I have a Linksy 1000 wireless router and ZoneAlarm Security Suite firewall. (Windows firewall is off.)

So, I tried to scan for my home computer with no luck. I obtained the IP address and added a new server, with my user name and password. The icon appeared, but when I press it, it says loading files, then I get this box that says "Login Failure". These are the suggestions it gave me to check: Wifi is off (It's on); SMB Server is out of network scope; (Not sure what this is); The IP is invalid (This is correct, obtained from the computer); Blocked by the firewall, (Humm, not sure about this one or how to check); SMB service is off, (Again, not sure what this is.)

But what, I did another scan and my wife's netbook popped up, which is on our home network as well. It's running Windows 7 Starter Pak and I have ZoneAlarm installed on it, with the same settings as our Home computer, and the windows firewall is disabled. (Go figure.) I was able to see and open the documents on my wifes netbook with no problem. (I was able to do this without using a user name or password.) Is this safe and normal? I mean, what's to stop someone from doing the same scan outside of our house and being able to access our computers on the network?

The house computer, netbook and my Atrix are apart of the same secure network. (Needing a login and password to connect.)

I have what "spinynorman" and "momoceio" wrote to try. But, before I do, any thoughts. Thanks

Upvote 0
I've read this thread and tried all the ways suggested by others and it still isn't working right :(

I've got it seeing my files on my computer, but when I tap on the folder that I've chosen to share, it pops up an errir saying "this account has no permissions"

How do I fix that?

Thanks in advance!

I'm having somewhat the same problem. I've finally made the phone recognize the server but in order to have it see the shared folder (My Music) I have to go into the Advanced Sharing, and share it from there. But then it doesn't see the subfolders. And if I add a subfolder it sees that one but not the files in it... Anyone?

Upvote 0
I was actually more interested in managing the files on the phone from my pc. Anyone that point me in the right direction. I can now manage the files, from my phone, on my pc and I have a working wifi connection from my phone, but my pc doesn't seem to recognize the phone - at least no in Explorer or when trying to Add a new network device...
Anyone?

Upvote 0
I was actually more interested in managing the files on the phone from my pc. Anyone that point me in the right direction. I can now manage the files, from my phone, on my pc and I have a working wifi connection from my phone, but my pc doesn't seem to recognize the phone - at least no in Explorer or when trying to Add a new network device...
Anyone?

For this purpose, I use SwiFTP FTP Server: SwiFTP FTP Server - Android app on AppBrain .

You can basically make your handset into an FTP based network drive. You can access this network drive via your computer.

Reactions: yankee73
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I have an even stranger issue with ES. I have a Win7 x64 machine that I can connect to with no problems ever. However, I have a second PC running Win7 x32 and I always get the "smb not found or timed out" error. The only way to fix it is to reboot my PC and it works for a few hours and then I get that error again. Not sure if this helps isolate the issue, but really looking for some advice.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
wifi is on
firewall is off..
i followed some advices over the net to enable SMB
the program finds the computer.. when I try to connect I always get the message
Failure
-Wifi is down
-SMS is out of reach (is in 20cm)
-IP is wrong
-Firewall is on
-SMB service is off...

I am trying with this for a week now without results.. is there any other program to connect my mobile to the PC and stream my media from PC to mobile?

Upvote 0
wifi is on
firewall is off..
i followed some advices over the net to enable SMB
the program finds the computer.. when I try to connect I always get the message
Failure
-Wifi is down
-SMS is out of reach (is in 20cm)
-IP is wrong
-Firewall is on
-SMB service is off...

I am trying with this for a week now without results.. is there any other program to connect my mobile to the PC and stream my media from PC to mobile?

Samething happened to me. It was working fine, but all of sudden i get above msg and can not connect to my network pc.

Is there any fix to this error?

Upvote 0
Have read all posts here and my issues are discussed, but my LAN, FTP, dropbox file access problem is sporadic. Sometimes all features work correctly, sometimes the LAN access fails with the usual error messages but FTP and Dropbox work; other times nothing works except "Local". To further complicate things, sometimes LAN access works to one computer, but not the other. I cannot find any reason for this, but am tempted to blame my router, a D-Link DIR-655. Am running Win7 64bit. Looking for more ideas.

Upvote 0
I also didn't have any problems, but all of the sudden not a single network-related account (windows share, ftp, dropbox) works. "Hidden" windows shares (that have $ at the end) on first attempt gives instantly: "network path not found or time out" error.
Second attempt getting stuck at "Getting file list...", with smb://<ip> in the address bar. At that point hitting back button flickers the "Getting file list..." message and continue showing that message until second time hit back button.

Then, when selecting the same share from history dropdown (smb://<ip>/<share>) it hangs for a few seconds then offer force close or wait.

Note, this started happening for me in last 7 days. Nether in router, nor computer with network share has changed anything for at least 6 month.

Upvote 0
I think I fixed mine.
It seems when you try connect to a unreachable host, ESFE hangs and even exiting it still leaves it active in memory and doesn't let another instance connect to "good" hosts.

So basically I made sure ESFE is not running by killing the process via task manager, then removed the stored login info for a network share, then added a new one with proper login info and everything working fine now.

Upvote 0
Did application had recent update? i just found out today can't access PC's over the network, I can't even access ftp server externally.

When trying to scan i get an instant reply
"Please check wireless connection!"

I had to use file explorer HD temporarily, and have no problem accessing files over the network.

I still need this to work to access my ftp server.

I even tried uninstall, clear etc. and reinstalled... still nothing.

Upvote 0
Unashamed bump !

ES Explorer worked great for me for about 4 months then last week after an update I lost connection, but only to my own PC. My wife's laptop shows up fine. When I try to enter a server, it attempts to connect then gives me the wifi is off / SMB message. If I try to detect a server it only sees my wife's laptop. I'm using Windows 7 and a Galaxy Player, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones