• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ESN/MEID Number

lennydude

Android Expert
May 19, 2010
Maine USA
Not sure where to post this so if it needs to go elsewhere, please move it :)

I asked a few folks that were selling phones if they would PM me the esn/meid number so i could check on it.

I was brought up against a brick wall? They thought I was questioning their honesty and credibility. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

My question is this..................what on earth could a person possibly do with a clean ESN/MEID number from someones phone? I have no idea at all what you could do deceptively with that number? :thinking::thinking::thinking:

Lenny

what you could do with a esn/meid is report the phone as stolen from you and then the clean esn can get blocked by the carrier. Although generally if someone has intentions of buying it you should be given the number although if you have no intention of buying then there is no point in asking. So what they are doing isn't necessarily wrong, and sometimes you have to kind of trust people with this kind of thing. it would be a different story if you were meeting up with someone since they could meet up with you at the carrier store to verify.

In your case maybe you can get them to provide you with some proof of it having a clean esn without necessarily giving out the esn.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones