1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Support ESN tied to mainboard?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Monday Warrior, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Monday Warrior

Jul 31, 2010
    Hi all, first post here but have been lurking for a while. Unfortunately it's not on a happy note that I finally registered. My digitizer and display are both cracked so I'm thinking of buying a used phone off eBay for the parts. If I get a phone with a bad ESN, can I simply pull the mainboard out of it and install mine in its place? Or would the ESN be tied to the actual display somehow?

Anyone know of a source for the magical OLED displays (digitizers seem to be abundant on eBay, but I've yet to see a single display for this phone by itself).

Thanks in advance for any help!

Advertisement

2. x0x

x0x Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Systems Engineer
    DC
    Global Parts Direct has sells the Digitizer and *lists* a replacement screen, but it is listed as an LCD screen. Here's link:
    HTC Verizon Droid Incredible LCD Screen

I'm not sure if it's just a mistake and they meant AMOLED since it is listed as an OEM replacement.

The ESN/MEID is not tied to display components, but rather the main board. So you should be fine swapping out those components.

You may also want to contact HTC directly about a repair. I believe others have had just the digitizer replaced directly from them at a fairly reasonable price. They may also be able to do the same for you on the screen and digitizer. Their number is 1-888-716-3594.

Good luck.

3. sabrewings

sabrewings Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    Avionics
    Are you sure the screen is damaged? The digitizer is probably what is cracked but I be the screen itself underneath is fine.

4. Monday Warrior

Jul 31, 2010
    100% positive it's the display. Following the advice in other posts I had picked up a digitizer and was in the process of replacing it when I discovered that the main problem is the the display underneath :(.

I've e-mailed Global Parts Direct about the LCD/AMOLED discrepancy. Hopefully they respond quickly.