1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Essential, or just cool, travel apps

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by somanyapps, Sep 26, 2011.

1. somanyapps

somanyapps Well-Known Member
    None

May 27, 2011
    VA
    Getting ready to take a trip. Just wondering what you consider are essential, or even just cool apps to have when traveling. I've got the standard stuff, Google maps/navigation, GasBuddy, Tripadvisor, WeatherBug. What else? What have you tried?

Advertisement

2. Egidio

Egidio Well-Known Member
    None

May 31, 2011
    Male
    Austin, TX
    HDR app for taking hdr photos. The Infuse does an incredible job with photos.

somanyapps likes this.
  3. somanyapps

None

May 27, 2011
    VA
    Doesn't look like a lot difference between the free and plus versions of HDR. Not sure about the flash setting, but the location tagging isn't essential to me. Do you use HDR+?

4. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Android Expert
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    Phones
    Over Yonder
    we are getting ready to take a road trip to November...so I am testing some excellent blogging/gps tracking type apps....

trip journal, trip advisor, trip it, and trip man top my list... still playing with them though. route planner is another one

still playing with all of them...

have some other apps we might find useful like hotels.com, travelocity app, priceline etc.

you might also search for search specific apps...for instance we are going to vegas first... tons of vegas apps good and bad.

great apps like suggestions of where to go, what to avoid etc

somanyapps likes this.
  5. Egidio

Egidio Well-Known Member
    None

May 31, 2011
    Male
    Austin, TX
    I was using the HDR Camera+ free, but I like it so much that I went ahead and took advantage of the $0.99 special at the Amazon App Store last week. It's now back to the regular price. Here's a shot I took this past July while on vacation in Washington (Mt. Rainier National Park).

The app is here at Amazon:
    Amazon.com: HDR Camera+: Appstore for Android

Attached Files:

somanyapps likes this.
  6. surlypoker

surlypoker Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 13, 2011
    My car locator...

somanyapps likes this.
  7. somanyapps

None

May 27, 2011
    VA
    Mr. Ed,
    Have you tried any of the "blackbox" type apps (anyone else?). Not really interested in them for documenting a mishap, but thought they might be interesting for getting some highlights of the trip. I've tried a couple and the biggest issue I've had is positioning them for a good view of the road. Seems they are all designed to be used in landscape mode, which makes it a bit more difficult to get a good view. They will record in portrait (don't know if the resulting video will need to be rotated), but all the controls and display are not correct. In other words, it doesn't auto-rotate the display.

Regarding the specific apps, I was thinking the same thing. For example, the AAA apps. Will be looking.

Egidio,
    Nice pic. I've experimented a little with the free version and was quite impressed with the result. And I didn't really do anything except point and shoot. Not use to taking multiple shots to create the final image, so I guess you have to avoid the urge to move quickly to another shot.

surlypoker,
    I've seen that app in my searches, but haven't looked at it. Do you find it worthwhile?

Egidio likes this.
  8. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Android Expert
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    Phones
    Over Yonder
    I have not found many blackbox apps but will check them out.

there are not many places i can think of i would use them on this trip.

i forsee hours and hours of boring driving lol...

9. somanyapps

None

May 27, 2011
    VA
    I did try using the video recorder while driving. Granted, it doesn't have the "blackbox" features, but if all you want is some video of the trip then it's probably all you need.

10. surlypoker

surlypoker Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 13, 2011
    It does what it says... But i rarely use it for car purposes... When im traveling and pull up the app it pulls up what is basically a google map... U double click the screen and it locks ur spot... When i travel to unfamiliar cities i use it and walk wherever i want knowing that app will take me back to where i was... I prefer it over maps or navi as far as that goes... Only downside if u are using it for an actual car finder... If ur in a multistory parking garage it can flub the story every now and again... Otherwise i say worth the free download..

somanyapps likes this.