• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Esteem discharging......while CHARGING!??

Gomez025

Android Enthusiast
Oct 5, 2011
Van Nuys, CA
So I understand this phone packs quite a punch when it comes to multi-tasking and 4G speeds (which all works very well) but when I'm watching Netflix on my esteem while the phone is charging, it still discharges!!! :mad:

This is probably the only and MAYBE the biggest problem I'm having with this phone.

Is anybody else experiencing this? I know it's streaming movies and drains your battery quick while all of my other connections are off (wi-fi, auto brightness, bluetooth) but discharging the phone while it's connected to the charger just sounds crazy! Only Netflix is draining my battery while it's connected but maybe the HDMI would do that too.

Most of the time 4G is only used in bursts, when apps use it to stream in realtime like google talk for example, the power draw exceeds the charging power. It's not very many apps that do this, and it's as simple as always keeping wifi on and connecting to every single wireless network you encounter when you go home, work, friends etc... then it won't matter anymore.

Upvote 0
Need a charger with more ass! Download and run Elixir, make a widget to display your battery current, and see what the amp draw is both on the wall charger and on a USB device such as a computer. My Optimus M will charge around 748 mA from the wall charger, but if I plug it into any "smart" device like my laptop or the stereo in my truck it throttles back and will only charge around 438 mA. So, see what kinda current draw you have from the wall charger and then find yourself a power supply with USB output that has more available current.

I can't guarantee this will work because maybe the phone is programmed to never exceed a certain amount of current while charging, but it might be worth a try.

Upvote 0
So I understand this phone packs quite a punch when it comes to multi-tasking and 4G speeds (which all works very well) but when I'm watching Netflix on my esteem while the phone is charging, it still discharges!!! :mad:

This is probably the only and MAYBE the biggest problem I'm having with this phone.

Is anybody else experiencing this? I know it's streaming movies and drains your battery quick while all of my other connections are off (wi-fi, auto brightness, bluetooth) but discharging the phone while it's connected to the charger just sounds crazy! Only Netflix is draining my battery while it's connected but maybe the HDMI would do that too.

To Answer you question. This would be normal while your doing what you're doing.

If you're streaming over 4G it will stream in burst so 4G wont stay steady constantly. But regardles if your wifi or bluetooth/gps I'll explain why your are having your 'issue'.

for your specific 'situation'
1. 4G streaming
2. watching videos on your phone, uses your LCD screen which eats up battery juice.
3. using HMDI will also eat up battery juice faster because it emmits a stronger signal pushing more information out, uses more juice. (which the phoen stats when you turn HDMI on).

To fix your problem. Metropcs at their corp stores sale a 1000mA charger.

there are other chargers out there that have a higher mA which will charge your batter faster but keep in mind, that can also damage your battery as well.

Hope this helps.

:)

Reactions: Gomez025
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones