• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Eternal Speaker Still Plays While Headphones Plugged In

Durrrr... external speaker. The Eternal Speaker plays FOREVER.

Hey all, couldn't find anything on this, hope someone can help.

I never noticed it before today, but my Eris is definitely not disabling music playback through the eternal speaker when I plug headphones (or an adapter, or anything) into the headphone jack. Sound still comes through the earbuds or headphones nice and crisp, just the speaker is ALSO playing the same sound, at the same volume.

This sort of defeats the purpose of one of the main reasons I use headphones- to mute sound for everyone but me. I tried different music players, different headphones, made sure the phone knew they were non-mic headphones, everything. I can't find a setting to tell the speaker to disable when headphones are in- isn't it supposed to be automatic?

Any clues?

Hm, well, what I am referring to is the music from my music player is playing through both the speaker on the phone and the headphones when the headphones are plugged in.

As well, incoming calls ring through both the headphones and the speaker on the phone while the headphones are plugged in.

I'm fairly certain that at some point my Eris was doing what I would expect... muting the speaker on the phone while anything is plugged into the headphone jack. Maybe it never was, and I just discovered it today.

Upvote 0
Hey all, couldn't find anything on this, hope someone can help.

I never noticed it before today, but my Eris is definitely not disabling music playback through the eternal speaker when I plug headphones (or an adapter, or anything) into the headphone jack. Sound still comes through the earbuds or headphones nice and crisp, just the speaker is ALSO playing the same sound, at the same volume.

This sort of defeats the purpose of one of the main reasons I use headphones- to mute sound for everyone but me. I tried different music players, different headphones, made sure the phone knew they were non-mic headphones, everything. I can't find a setting to tell the speaker to disable when headphones are in- isn't it supposed to be automatic?

Any clues?

If you have tried multiple sets of headphones and still have this problem then you may need to just take the phone back into Verizon. When you plug in headphones the audio should play only out of the headphones and not out of the other speaker. If it is playing out of both then your headphone jack may be bad. I would take it back to a corporate store and see what they say. They will probably just give you a new unit.

i would imagine that any eternal speaker would continue to play no matter what, it's eternal!

Ok, I actually loled at that. Pretty funny.

Upvote 0
Well folks, let it be known publically that I am Too Excitable. When I discovered my problem I came here to make my first post. I ignored the first truth about digital devices.

And, yup, my speaker is indeed behaving now... after I rebooted the phone. When in doubt, power down.

Silly me, but thanks for all the ideas. I knew everything was supposed to be working, I knew my jack was the right size... but had I been truly clueless you guys had some great suggestions. A great community for a great phone!

Upvote 0
Thanks Matt!!

I was having the same problem. I was/am at work listeing to music and it was blaring out and everyone could hear it. I couldnt see anything to turn it off but read this site and found that a simple reboot would work and it indeed did. I guess maybe a bug in the system I guess.

anyway thanks for the help.

Upvote 0
Hate to bump an old thread with my first post on this forum, but I'm having this issue and can't seem to find any more info other than this thread...

No matter what earphone/headphone set I plug in, the speakers don't mute. I've reloaded my OS entirely and even that didn't fix it. Could it be a hardware issue? I'm hesitant to waste time going to Verizon for support...

Thanks guys

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones