• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ethical Dilemna

Randino

Android Enthusiast
Apr 8, 2010
North Carolina
Ok, so I have talked Verizon into moving my wife's annual upgrade from 11/07/10 to 6/08/10. The reason being is she hates the Eris after the upgrade (it really screwed up her phone) and I have an Incredible and now she wants one. Anyway my question is.... Would it be wrong to turn the Eris in on a factory warranty claim to get a properly working one that I could sell to offset the upgrade price? I mean I did buy a perfect phone that is no longer perfect, is still under factory warranty, and it doesn't work due to a manufacturer defect because of the update. What would you do?

been there, if you got another phone from verizon to replace the eris, verizon warranty no longer applies. you will have to ship it to HTC for the warranty. went through a similar ordeal with a VZ6900. if you are able to get it warrantied through a verizon then great for you. verizon will tell you that you are free to do what ever you wish with the eris... good luck in what you choose.

Upvote 0
been there, if you got another phone from verizon to replace the eris, verizon warranty no longer applies. you will have to ship it to HTC for the warranty. went through a similar ordeal with a VZ6900. if you are able to get it warrantied through a verizon then great for you. verizon will tell you that you are free to do what ever you wish with the eris... good luck in what you choose.

BUT, LOL I was going to do the warranty replacement before the upgrade...just don't know how shady I am being, I don't typically do things like that, but I see it as a product that I paid for that no longer works correctly, so it should be fixed even if I am no longer using it.

Upvote 0
Ok, so I have talked Verizon into moving my wife's annual upgrade from 11/07/10 to 6/08/10. The reason being is she hates the Eris after the upgrade (it really screwed up her phone) and I have an Incredible and now she wants one. Anyway my question is.... Would it be wrong to turn the Eris in on a factory warranty claim to get a properly working one that I could sell to offset the upgrade price? I mean I did buy a perfect phone that is no longer perfect, is still under factory warranty, and it doesn't work due to a manufacturer defect because of the update. What would you do?

There's no dilemma. You bought a phone and it legitimately had hardware problems that are covered under warranty. You are entitled to having that phone replaced.

What you do with the replacement is completely up to you. You can sell it, give it to a woman's shelter, or shove it in a shoebox. It's no different than what you did with your last phone after you upgraded to your current phone.

Upvote 0
the problem you may encounter is that your account has been noted with the info about the early upgrade and if you do a replacement with another eris it just might cancel out that early upgrade you asked for.

Nah... just because you are eligible for an upgrade doesn't mean your current phones warranty gets canceled.
Heck, you might decide to keep the new eris and ditch the upgrade if it works good.
Verizon doens't know what you are going to do.

Upvote 0
There's no dilemma. You bought a phone and it legitimately had hardware problems that are covered under warranty. You are entitled to having that phone replaced.

What you do with the replacement is completely up to you. You can sell it, give it to a woman's shelter, or shove it in a shoebox. It's no different than what you did with your last phone after you upgraded to your current phone.

I concur.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones