1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Even Jelly Bean is laggy and stuttering

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by golemus, Apr 5, 2013.

1. golemus

golemus Newbie

I have already had Jelly Bean for while but now I just wanted to say few words about it. It was a big improvement to ICS but it is still far too laggy. I have it in Galaxy SII 9100i (international, dual core), but also used it in Asus Nexus 7 tablet. Here is what I mean (from Galaxy S2).

- waking from sleep 1s (should be like 0.5s)
    - opening phonebook 0.5s (should be like 0.1s)
    - opening logs inside phonebook 0.8s (should be like 0.1s)
    - opening phonebook contacts 1.5s (should be like 0.1s
    - delay from pressing green phone to actually dialling 1s (should be like 0.2s)
    - switching to home screen 1.5s first time 0.5s second (should be always like 0.2-0.3s. Btw..voice recognition is off so it does not add delay
    - opening settings menu 0.5s (should be like 0.1s)

Even a Nokia phone from year 2000 is faster in these things. Are IOS and Winphone8 as laggy as Android in these things..? I have difficulties believing that they would be...

Other examples:

- opening Google Maps 4s (second time 3s), (should always be max. 1s)
    - opening search in google maps 0.5s (should be like 0.1s)
    - opening Google Music 4s (should be max 1-2s)
    - opening Facebook 3s (should be max 1s, and yes it is the new version with supposedly native code)
    - opening Google Chrome 5s (should be max 2s)
    - opening calculator 1s (should be 0.1s)
    - opening clock / alarm clock set 1s (should be 0.1s)
    - opening GMail 2s (should be max 1s)
    - opening Camera App 3s (should be like max 1s preferably 0.5s)
    - opening a not in Evernote 2s (should be like max 0.2s)
    - opening Youtube 2s (should be max 1s)

And yes it is in WIFI, not 3G

Another annoying feature is the UI lag. I noticed when I installed MIDI controller app (touchdaw), when you do fast moves your finger is already in the other end of the screen but the slider is still on its way to get there. I know that for the UI lag there is a good explanation (link below):

Why Android Will Always Be Laggier Than iOS | Cult of Mac

But how about those other lags..? Is it likely that they will still be present even in Key Lime Pie (android 5.0). I must say I am seriously considering switch to Winphone8 because the OS internals seem to be more mature. Seems like there is just too much happening in the background when you try to do anything. Like every single task in android would have the same priority although you would want to prioritize those features (like phone book) that you use most often.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. valorian

valorian Android Expert

Where are you getting your "Should be" times from? I have JB on my Galaxy S3 and I also have the Nexus 7 and I do not find it laggy at all.

3. Mostly Harmless

Mostly Harmless Android Expert

The Nexus lag came with 4.2.2, I am not a developer and I have no idea why. Other then that my rooted S3 w/ 4.2.2 stays lag free for quite a while.

4. NeXuS4

NeXuS4 Android Enthusiast

So many logical fallacies so little time...

5. golemus

golemus Newbie

I pulled them out of my hat :), they are just guessed figures how fast an optimized system should work based on even how an older intel computer work.

6. valorian

valorian Android Expert

You really cannot judge if a phone is laggy based on how fast you think it should be. That would be like me saying "My car should go 0-60 in one second" even though I know this is unrealistic.

7. ouch1976

ouch1976 Android Enthusiast

These are revolutionary devices that have changed the way we live, yet they are only about 5 years old. I think it's ironic that before a smartphone, we would have to pull out a phone book to find a number. But 5 years later we're complaining about 3 milliseconds...

argedion likes this.
  8. golemus

golemus Newbie

nobody really answered that does IOS and Winphone have equally long lags..?

9. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Jellybean itself is smooth as butter.

Laggyness on non aosp devices can usually he attributes to the manufacturer skin.

There was some laggyness introduced in 4.2.2 on the nexus 7 but a factory reset cleared it up for most people

It sounds like you need factory resets on both devices. Always do one after an OTA if you start having issues

argedion and Metroid Prime like this.
  10. Metroid Prime

Metroid Prime Oil Can!!! Oil Can!!!

^ +1 Yes a factory reset should fix any issues and lag you're experiencing. I have JB on my S3 and it too is smooth as butter. Sometimes it can happen with OTA's, but a factory reset can resolve it. :)

11. golemus

golemus Newbie

I don't believe that. I experienced same magnitude of lagginess with a brand new Google Nexus 7 tablet with quad core Tegra 3 processor and pure Jelly bean.

I tested S3 in a shop and I think it still had the lags present, although faster than S2 but still in the same magnitude. Perhaps you are just used to it..? :)

12. Omar Days

Omar Days Android Expert

my nexus 4 and 7 have no lag whatsoever.

my galaxy note which got the official update to jellybean has no lag whatsoever and is now smoother than it was with ics.

my desire hd with it's single core processor with a custom jb rom is lag free.

take the advice and do a factory reset.

13. golemus

golemus Newbie

I think I did already factory reset when I updated to official jelly bean. If you look at the lag times I wrote to the first message, can you measure the same times how long they take for you and write them here...?

14. Bnice

Bnice Guest

Sorry Android is not to your liking their is other os for you to explore. Live, love and laugh.

argedion likes this.
  15. Omar Days

Omar Days Android Expert

they're the same times as your "should be likes"

16. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Uh, no, a Nokia from year 2000 isn't faster than those times you mentioned. In fact they are slower. I have a working N70 right here with me and its waaaay slower.

Any lag whatsoever you experience would have to do with the way your phone is set up, not with how Android is optimized or not. The more customizations you have or background apps running, the slower the phone is going to get, just like a PC with many programs running at the same time. Running a launcher, a third party SMS app, a customized lockscreen and some widgets will be slower on the same phone as one running stock with no customization whatsoever.

A good example from my experience would be my own phone. Compared to when running Go Launcher, my phone is much more faster and lag free if I use the stock launcher or a lighter launcher like Holo.

17. Wilkas

Wilkas Android Enthusiast

I'm not surprised you have a little what you call lag on a galaxy S2.. look how far the tech has moved on since then. I have an HTC One now and all those things open instantly, they did on my One X before it.

My advice is get a new phone if you are able as most newer phones are coming with 2gb memory and ultra fast quad core chips.. the S4 is going to have 2 quad core chips so it shows things are progressing really quickly, you can't expect to have a 2 year old phone and it run things instantly/perfectly. I've never used a tablet yet that was particularly fast, I had a Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 and got that frustrated with how slow it was I got rid of it.

iPhones and W8 phones aren't fast, iPhone is perhaps a little smoother but once you start filling the storage up they start to run slow, open up angry birds even against your GS2 and you'll see. WP7.5 - 8 have such a simple UI they do appear to run smoothly until you start to open apps up, the top spec WP8 isn't half as powerful as a handful of android phones.

18. SulkyAndroid17

SulkyAndroid17 Android Enthusiast

The average blink of your eye is .3-.4 seconds. So it would be hard to notice half a second of lag. Also, half of what you listed requires a network connection. Which would induce a wait time. It's too bad you experience lag, but the actions on my phone happen instantly. At least, everything that doesn't require waiting for the network.

19. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert

Opening apps in iOS does cause lag. What iOS does is fool you into thinking there is no lag. It displays a screenshot of the app's first screen right away, making it seems that the app has launched. Meanwhile it is still launching and lagging. Android does not try to trick you into thinking it is faster than it really is.

argedion likes this.
  20. Metroid Prime

Metroid Prime Oil Can!!! Oil Can!!!

I am pretty happy with JB and I haven't really had any issues with it at all. Smooth as butter for me and no issues. Sorry you're experiencing lag on it, are you using any task killers or have a lot of widgets on the homescreens?