• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

... Eventful couple days with my Captivate(s)

qwertyaas

Android Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2010
So before the update yesterday, I loved my Captivate. GPS worked great as did the rest of the phone. I figured since getting the update message, I would go for it. During the update the service was pretty bad in the office so I cancelled the download to continue it when I got home. When I went to continue, it automatically rebooted my phone and applied the partially downloaded FW and completely bricked the phone.

Since last night, I have exchanged my Captivate twice. Each time the phones have major issues. Forget about locking onto satellites, it can't even get any in view in the middle of the street. On my current phone, forget not being able to connect to AT&T servers for the update, I can't even connect to Android Market...

I spoke with AT&T and the CS Rep made a special note on my account that told the store to not let me leave until I have a phone that has functional GPS, updates and fixes whatever issues I have. Additionally I was offered a credit to my account for the inconvenience. Add to that the CS Rep made a note to call me on my 30th day to make sure everything is working and if not, we will see where we go from there (cancel, extend the return period...).

Now I'm not sure what to do. I will try one more exchange but if that doesn't work, I'm considering going back to my dumbphone for now... I doubt I will get an iPhone4 and after 4 Captivates, don't think I will keep exchanging.

Sorry to vent my frustrations but this has been an aggravating couple days - even more so that my bricked phone worked great in all aspects.

Thanks for sharing. I'm personally getting to the point of considering my Captivate a non-GPS phone. Once I lower my expectations, I will be more satisfied with it :)

I think a lot of people are upset because they had high expectations. They thought Samsung would fix the problem, and that the lack of a functioning GPS was a temporary thing.

Upvote 0
Well, here's an update:

Captivate #4 in the span of 24 hours.

This one locked onto 8 out of 10 satellites within 10 seconds of walking out the store. Kept a lock on me the whole way home on Google Maps.

And something my last 2 phones didn't have access to. Recovery mode!

Hopefully this one works are great as my first one that bricked. Still no update available to DL though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones