• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Events missing from Calendar - ICS

That's precisely what you want. You want to change one of the earliest events in the .ics file. You want to keep all of the events in your Google calendar - do not delete them. You want to import the changed .ics file. You want Google calendar to not create a complete calendar of duplicate events - you want it to ignore the items that have not changed, recognize that one was never in your calendar, import that to the calendar.

In other words, follow this exact procedure, linked earlier by Fulltime Traveler: Issue 3672 - android - Calendar app won't sync events older than 1 month - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

According to that procedure, this will somehow signal to the Android sync agent to sync further back than 30 days.

My problem is more fundamental. I can't get any of my exported ICS's to load back into my primary calendar. to heck with the issue with Android not holding data beyond a year. I want my primary calendar back to normal. it's empty. every time I try to import an ICS either from an export of itself, or an exported ICS from the "new calendar" (which holds all the events), I am met with the error I cut/pasted.

can u help me with that issue, and we'll forget about tinkering with the file so that Android calendars don't go back past a year

EDIT: WHEW!! I got my data back to the primary calendar. The solution was to edit the ICS file from the replacement calendars's exported ICS file in the following way: search/replace "UID:" with "UID:5". Go back to GC settings in the browser, and import that edited file. voila. no complaints about the data this time--it's all back.

Upvote 0
Now I have a new problem. on my Android devices, I can no longer see a year's worth of entries, other than reoccuring entries. IE, it's like I'm back to the older version of the Google Calendar app, which only shows 30 day's worth of previous entries.

this is true for both the primary and test calendars that I installed data from imports. the primary calendar has data from an imported file that had the "UID:" replaced with "UID:5", and the test calendar has data imported straight from an undoctored primary calendar ICS file.

I tried deleting calendar and calendar storage data and refreshing. I also can't see beyond 30 days for a shared calendar, which I haven't monkeyed with--my wife's calendar. Not sure if the one year feature that we got with the latest version of the calendar has been working with non-primary calendars or not...

any ideas, anyone??

Upvote 0
Let me get this straight:

1. in the browser, ALL my events show, all the way back to 2008.
2. as of today (because of my messing around), android only shows the last 30 days, unlike how it showed a full year prior to my editing ics's/importing etc.

3. so, despite the browser showing ALL my events on both my primary and test calendars, if I import a modified ICS (editing a single occurence of Summary) into the test calendar, it won't duplicate ANYTHING, and will only cause Android to show events going way back?? that doesn't sound logical to me, so that's why I'm asking

Upvote 0
Let me get this straight:

1. in the browser, ALL my events show, all the way back to 2008.
2. as of today (because of my messing around), android only shows the last 30 days, unlike how it showed a full year prior to my editing ics's/importing etc.

3. so, despite the browser showing ALL my events on both my primary and test calendars, if I import a modified ICS (editing a single occurence of Summary) into the test calendar, it won't duplicate ANYTHING, and will only cause Android to show events going way back?? that doesn't sound logical to me, so that's why I'm asking

This is exactly what that post says. You created a test calendar - try it.

Upvote 0
OK, this is too weird. I just looked at my nexus 7 again and without me doing ANYTHING, I've got the entire years worth showing on my primary calendar (it was missing a few minutes ago). However, I'm still missing anything prior to 30 days on the Bionic. so...rather than mess with importing anything that's modified, into either of my calendars, I just need to get the bionic back to normal (I've already tried clearing data in calendar and storage, which i thought would fix this).

ideas? (it now seems as though I DON'T need to tinker with the ICS because my Nexus 7 has all the data i want/ expect.

Upvote 0
on my bionic: i deleted my google account. set it back up. the calendar still doesn't go past 30 days, AND there are two colors showing on the calendar, but the secondary color on a day (in month mode), doesn't depict a viewable event. ONLY the primary calendar is being displayed. this is a new anomaly. i don't see any secondary (phantom events) colors on my nexus 7 calendar...

i figured out the secondary colors on the bionic are because I sometimes have more than one item on a day that doesn't have a set time--ie, if there are more than one event scheduled as all day, then the secondary color shows on the bionic.

so that leaves me with WHY does the bionic not sync back past 30 days, yet the nexus does?

I tried removing the google account again, clearing data for storage and calendar. no joy. still get just 30 days of entries.

Upvote 0
OK, this is too weird. I just looked at my nexus 7 again and without me doing ANYTHING, I've got the entire years worth showing on my primary calendar (it was missing a few minutes ago). However, I'm still missing anything prior to 30 days on the Bionic. so...rather than mess with importing anything that's modified, into either of my calendars, I just need to get the bionic back to normal (I've already tried clearing data in calendar and storage, which i thought would fix this).

ideas? (it now seems as though I DON'T need to tinker with the ICS because my Nexus 7 has all the data i want/ expect.

This is EXACTLY the problem that the OP was talking about - when you clear data from calendars in Android, when it resyncs it will ONLY RESYNC 30 DAYS WORTH OF HISTORY. Hence, that export, edit, and re-import trick.

Upvote 0
This is EXACTLY the problem that the OP was talking about - when you clear data from calendars in Android, when it resyncs it will ONLY RESYNC 30 DAYS WORTH OF HISTORY. Hence, that export, edit, and re-import trick.

PROBLEM SOLVED with the lack of early entries on Bionic. I recently did a reset because battery life sucked. For some CRAZY REASON, Google doesn't see fit to show outdated Calendar apps on the list of items in Play Store, so I didn't realize that I didn't have the LATEST VERSION of the Calendar! I just noticed that because the icon on my Nexus 7 has a turned up corner, and the icon on my bionic did not. I went to the play store and uploaded the newest calendar app. as soon as I did that, i've got tons of early entries now. going back to april 2009.

This is the only app from google (or any, for that matter) that didn't show it needed to be updated, in my personal experience.

I can now SEARCH the calendar on the bionic all the way back to april 2009 for non-repeating events. I can go back even further (not that it's useful) for repeating events.

Upvote 0
I've got one year on nexus 7. cleared calendar and storage data and refreshed. no change

i've got several years (cool!) on Bionic now--same calendar--my primary one.

any ideas how to get the nexus 7 to go back further than a year? got the same exact version of the calendar on both units. linked to the same calendar...

only thing I know is different for sure is bionic is ICS and N7 is Jelly Bean. hope that isn't the cause of the problem.

Upvote 0
Found this on another forum. Works like a charm. Go into google calendar on the web, click on settings, click the calendars link (in blue at the top left), click on export calendars (below the list of your calendar/calendars). They will all export as one zip file. Unzip the file after it downloads. Go back to calendar settings and import each file into the respective calendar (it breaks them into individual calendar files). This will not create duplicate events. Then sync your phone calendar and, voila, you back in bidness! Hit the "that was easy" button. Done!

So export, re-import, done.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones