• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Everybody will get 2.1 when it

This is what was said:

- The software will be open-source in a couple of days, i.e. made available to manufacturers and carriers.

- Sanjay of Motorola said definitively that the DROID will be getting Nexus software.

- Peter Chou of HTC just said, "We [HTC] are expecting some of our existing models to upgrade to 2.1, but we're working on that."

To me, that sounds like they haven't quite worked out the kinks to Sense UI and 2.1. We know that they've been working on Sense + 2.0x. So, for HTC users that have Sense, I think there'll be a wait. For HTC without Sense, you may see the upgrade sooner rather than later.

Upvote 0
Where are you guys seeing this?

Google Press event at CES. Sanjay at Moto also said that not all devices, particularly legacy devices will NOT see the 2.1 update. Why? Because 2.1 utilizes a lot of 3D rendering and some chipsets are not capable of handling such load. So, those devices are not going to see the upgrade (likely). If your phone has a viable chipset, then you will see an upgrade to 2.1.

Upvote 0
Google Press event at CES. Sanjay at Moto also said that not all devices, particularly legacy devices will NOT see the 2.1 update. Why? Because 2.1 utilizes a lot of 3D rendering and some chipsets are not capable of handling such load. So, those devices are not going to see the upgrade (likely). If your phone has a viable chipset, then you will see an upgrade to 2.1.

I understand that. Where did this "within a couple of days" come from?

Upvote 0
I understand that. Where did this "within a couple of days" come from?

Rubin of Google said the 2.1 will be available to all devices in a couple of days when it's made open-source. That availability means that it's available to manufacturers and carriers. However, it's unlikely that anyone with a phone other than an N1 will see this update until carriers can make provisions for it. January 22 is the next scheduled OTA udpate for VZW. Perhaps then? Who knows. It's up to VZW to figure out and plan this update. If it's up to them, we may not see it until before the N1 reaches VZW stores sometime in Spring 2010.

Upvote 0
Now that I think about it I bet they meant that 2.1 would be available to mfctrs and carriers, not consumers within a few days.

Currently, at least one manufacturer must have signed a privacy agreement with Google for the 2.1 software. HTC, seeing as they made the Nexus and lets face it, they will have had a lot of input with the software.
Consequently, they may already be working with the 2.1 software for their other phones so the updates are in progress, hopefully near completion, but in progress at least.

Keeping any release out of the Open Source scheme lets them control it and do there all singing all dancing "look at this phone, it has the NEW NEW software that no other phone does". Then it can be released once the buzz has worn off. I can only hope that they do not intend to keep doing this as it will get very old, fast.

You may find that other manufacturers have the 2.1 software at present also, but again with privacy clauses until it is fully signed over to the Open Source scheme. This might actually explain HTC's vaugeness with dates as to its release plan for 2.1.

Anyway, just a few ramblings from me.
G

Upvote 0
I think Andy Rubin made a blunder when he said everybody would get 2.1 in a few days when it goes open source. In reference to the Open Handset Alliance (partners), I can see where this may be a true statement...

Kudos to Andy Rubin for taking questions. I loved his comment about his careful previous comment (frequently taken out of context) that Google would not manufacture hardware.

Upvote 0
Going open source in a couple days means the source code is available to develoeprs (& open alliance members, manufacturers). But it takes further time for them to implement and test the update before they can push it out to consumers (if it's even technically possible since 2.1 seems to require beefier hardware). This is unfortunate because we've all seen how the Windows Vista upgrade for MS went with its mandatory HW spec increases.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones