1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Everyone needs to watch this, and pass it on RE: The Patriot Act

Discussion in 'Politics and Current Affairs' started by drewsg, May 25, 2011.

1. drewsg

drewsg Member

chrlswltrs likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. noah way

noah way Android Enthusiast

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty, to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety"

-- Benjamin Franklin

Bugly, chrlswltrs, EarlyMon and 3 others like this.
  3. mike114

mike114 Well-Known Member

There is nothing patriotic about the Patriot Act. I can't believe how people just give up their rights in the hope the gov't can protect us. Do it within the confines of the Constitution.

And then the worthless Harry Reid claims that Rand Paul supports terrorists. He is a vile and disgusting human being. How does Nevada continue to elect this imbecile.

4. ElasticNinja

ElasticNinja Android Expert

I always feel that people in the US have way less privacy than your average European
    The US sometimes looks like a Police State

EarlyMon likes this.
  5. mike114

6. Everybody who lives in Kentucky should feel lucky and proud to have this man represent them.

7. Steven58

Threads merged. Identical.

8. This is how:
    YouTube - ‪Nevada voting machines automatically checking Harry Reid's name; voting machine techs are SEIU thugs‬‏

9. vailpass

vailpass Well-Known Member

:D That's amazing how you can discern that from way over there. Please.

10. ElasticNinja

No, just looking at the new TSA regs and said Patriot act.

Those Civil Liberty guys usually piss me off but.... uh I don't want to have the Police watching me if I mention bomb in a text.
    Thank you ;)

11. drewsg

drewsg Member

I've never been to Britain, but don't they have cameras recording the streets 24/7?

12. ElasticNinja

Yup

13. nlsme

nlsme Android Expert

There are a lot of places here that do the same thing.

14. drewsg

drewsg Member

Where?

15. nlsme

nlsme Android Expert

Just about any major city, you are on camera. Just about any major intersection, you are on camera.

16. Sak01

Sak01 Android Expert

Even so, I believe in the UK we have more cameras per capita than any other country in the world. Conversely, we have a neat counter terrorism law which allows the police to forbid and even arrest us for filming them.

Oh, and don't forget that we can also be detained for 28 days without charge under terrorism laws (they tried to extend it to 60). How do you guys stack up against that?

17. nlsme

nlsme Android Expert

There have been cases where people were arrested for filming the cops. We also have anti terrorism laws that allow one to be held, for a period of time, without being charged with anything. As far as more cameras per capita, we still have a lot.

18. ElasticNinja

I think the UK has a lot of CCTV, but I've never felt CCTV affected my privacy much
    Although if they get more high res Id be uncomfortable about security being able to see what Im texting

19. mike114

Sak01, here in the states we have border patrol checkpoints no where near our national borders!!! The DHS sets up roadblocks and literally asks you for your papers. Now if that doesn't conjure up images of some very nasty times in past history, not sure what else does.

20. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert

The Patriot Act has affected companies in Canada in how they manage and store customers' data. We have a law that requires companies to protect the private information that they have regarding their customers. Since the Patriot Act allows for the U.S. Government to easily access private data, companies in Canada can no longer use some services that are based in the U.S. If we do, we can potentially expose private personal data to an outside party (U.S. Government) that should not be accessing it. Companies in Canada have to find alternative services if those services used to be based in the U.S. I do know that it has affected the company I work for.

21. Bugly

Bugly Android Expert

our so-called "traffic cameras" in the Seattle area were pitched to us as "tools to aid in directing traffic" and "don't have high enough resolution to identify a face", but when the WTO riots started, the cameras were trained on a police officer's badge from over a mile away and it was clearly readable. Hmmm, lying sacks of (excrement).

22. a camera? a mile away? reading characters less than 1/2" high? wow!!! i want that camera.

BS.

23. Bugly

Bugly Android Expert

seriously, it happened, we got a first-hand look at it on the evening news. Those traffic cams have super-high resolution and were supposed to be only for watching traffic, then we saw a police officer who was pepper-spraying someone and the shot was panned in and his badge number was clearly readable. The camera was almost exactly a mile away and was trained on the "riot" when it was all going down. The officer was cited with disorderly conduct later that week.

24. where did the city get these cameras? i would like to check that company out. would love to know the specs(what kind of lens system they use) and how they market these to cities as just observation cameras.

i know 1/4" at 1mi is doable, but that's with certain lens systems. what the hell kind of copmany is selling these things as observation cameras. that's some pretty high powered stuff just for "observing".

even better question, have these "cameras" been removed? and if not, why hasn't the citizenry done anything to get them removed? that shippy happened back in '99...if you all have allowed those cameras to stay...

well now, i won't say because i'm a kinder and gentler batgeek.