• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Everyone running GB, Please Read

Does the file provided in that topic on XDA revert you back to stock froyo? As in...no custom ROM is on the device at all?

that is correct. it reverts you to the most current froyo firmware(1.13.605.7).

root access and recovery are maintained,so you can flash a new rom immediately after this if you want to.

alot of the guys are either restoring a backup,or flashing a new froyo rom,and only updating the radios,wich is prolly fine,but be aware that youre not following the original instructions,so do so at your own risk.

i agree with everyone it was prolly 99% unneccessary,but i personally flashed the entire MR1 update in hboot to revert. i let it boot and sync after,then downloaded astro file manager so i could delete the PG05IMG file immediately(this is very important,wether youve flashed the whole RUU,or just thr radios) from the sd card.

after i did that,i immediately flashed the latest cm7. i hadnt been using it since i got such crappy battery life with it,but i got pretty bad battery life with the gingersense roms,too. maybe its not enuff worse i can stay on it until they figure out the ril,or we get a new gingersense radio leak. :)

Upvote 0
I'm a revert also, I'm mostly with Worm in that I was thinking of going back anyway. I loved all the sense 3.0 elements except that horrible camera lag. But this really shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that a test build wasn't completely stable. I'm relatively sure we are only a month or so away from a true gingerbread update anyway. The good thing is all the work porting all the 3.0 elements is done so as soon as we do get an OTA we will be back up and running as fast as we can....... see what I did there!

Upvote 0
SEM08G for me,too. wish i could post on xda so i could contribute the info. guess i better start start padding my count in another forum for these situations :)

non bricked and on cm7 now

tho it doesnt look like they need to hear from any more non brickers... 23 pages no info from someone whose phone is rebooting :mad:

Upvote 0
SEM08G for me,too. wish i could post on xda so i could contribute the info. guess i better start start padding my count in another forum for these situations :)

non bricked and on cm7 now

tho it doesnt look like they need to hear from any more non brickers... 23 pages no info from someone whose phone is rebooting :mad:

So I'm no conspiracy theorist but this sounds like a bunch of hype with no one to back up the claim. Now don't get me wrong I'm not saying some people out there have bricked their phones on GB but if you read Jcase's post it sounds like its not "if" you brick but a matter of "when" like its 100% sure fire thing. I've been running GB since it came out and haven't had any major issues. With that being said I'm sure I just jinxed myself and I'll get the bootloop of death any minute now.

Upvote 0
i switched back to 1.6.3...BUT i almost want to go back to GB. i have to agree that battery is much better on my current setup than with GB. i miss some of the GB sense 3.0 features though too.

They are trying to pinpoint the issue and find possible fixes though and i have no doubt they with find the solution and we can once again run GB without worry

Upvote 0
Jcase is a very reputable and reliable source. If he says to switch to froyo because of possible gb bricks I'm switching. This guy does so much for Android and knows so much about it in general you'd be foolish not to follow his advice.

i agree 110%(<-see that extra 10% thar?) if i can gather anything about jcase from his posts,its that he tries to provide the most acurate,reliable,and SAFE methods as possible for doing things.

when this first happened,how else was he going to act? they had no idea what was going on,and its defiantely better to scare some folks into changing their roms than to end up with a bunch of bricked phones. :eek:

having said that,i considered going back too,but am gonna give it a couple days and see what else they come up with on the matter. i really dont wanna go back to froyo,but the battery life on cm7 the last couple days has reminded me why i was excited for this leak in the first place... 4 hours and 45 minutes on time and im down to 41% :eek:

Upvote 0
i agree. i know when i read it i got the heck back to froyo but could not stay away from sense 3.0 so i flashed Gingeritis and am flashing the new gingeritis ix now. that is one smooth rom and while i am not doubting anyones expertise as they know a heck of a lot more than i do, i feel it was blown up a little bit. not like we have read about 50 bricks, just a couple. willing to chance it for 3.0

Upvote 0
After several days of everyone running scared.... Devils advocate... Did we as a community overeact?
I've read about 2 bricked phones.... What does everyone think?
It's really a hard call. He did what he thought best to protect the community rather than wait and take a chance with other people's phones. Some of us need it for business as well as playing around.

That being said, perhaps they jumped the gun a bit. A warning that a possible major flaw has been identified, with the word possible highlighted, might have been a little more prudent. I wonder if this "brick" is only happening on rooted phones too. What if it happened on non rooted phones now and again? Would we know it? Would anyone know it? A call to VZW would simply replace the phone without them coming here, to XDA or to IRC.

I actually flashed back to GB yesterday and will stay on it unless a definite brick threat is discovered that can be traced back to either GB or the radio. But then again, that's me and I have a DI that I can *228 back to in a second.

Upvote 0
also,i forgot to mention... my phone died the other day. no biggie. let it charge a couple minutes... wouldnt turn on. let it charge another 15 minutes and it still wouldnt turn on :eek: another 10 minutes,still no power. pull battery,still no power. try and turn on in hboot. nothing. i kept fiddling and it eventually came on,i dont know what happened.

i dont know that this is related,but just feel like i need to procede cautiously.

Mine has done that a few times as well. All on either Froyo or CM7 (Gingerbread, but Froyo radio). It always came back.

Guys, about all this biz about the death-loop, I don't want to encourage anyone to do something that could/will brick their TB, but I went back to BAMF 1.6.3 and though I liked it before I flashed 2.0 B5, after having the latter, it was just too hard to stay on Froyo. It was 2am when I reverted back because I was scared shitless... maybe I was just tired, I don't know.

What I do know is that I had to go back, and this time I flashed 2.0 REMIX beta 5. The REMIX is the most gorgeous ROM I've ever seen. Those who know me know that in the past I 've hated Sense. 2.0 REMIX has changed that. This ROM is as smooth and fast as AOSP, and it really is all out drop dead gorgeous. And I have to say (and I have egg on my face while saying it), Sense 3.0 indeed has some very innovative features that I appreciate and enjoy very much.

All that to say, if you've been reading the threads on XDA, you know the theories and risks involved. Personally, I think the risk is small to moderate. I have a Fascinate to use until I get a replacement TB if I brick. I believe it is something defective about the hardware that causes the problem and only a few TBs share the commonality. Those who did the 1-click root method may be more susceptible to the death-loop somehow. My point is, until more is known about the cause, I'm comfortable with the risk until something more concrete is known.

Anyways, I think there will be another radio come out soon, so it's not like this will go on indefinitely. Just my .02.

Edit: I unconditionally trust whatever jcase says. I deeply respect the call to go back to Froyo. Unfortunately, there is such a stark difference between GB and Froyo versions of BAMF that many can't resist the risk. It also helps that some time has past and there are only 2 bricks that we know of.

Upvote 0
After several days of everyone running scared.... Devils advocate... Did we as a community overeact?
I've read about 2 bricked phones.... What does everyone think?

while i am not doubting anyones expertise as they know a heck of a lot more than i do, i feel it was blown up a little bit. not like we have read about 50 bricks, just a couple. willing to chance it for 3.0
I dont think as a community we over reacted. in retrospect,it was prolly not as urgent as we thot to get the GB radio off of our phones,but hindsight is always 20/20. i think we reacted accordingly with what was going on and what info we had about it.

It's really a hard call. He did what he thought best to protect the community rather than wait and take a chance with other people's phones. Some of us need it for business as well as playing around.

Edit: I unconditionally trust whatever jcase says. I deeply respect the call to go back to Froyo.
^i agree with these 100%

I wonder if this "brick" is only happening on rooted phones too. What if it happened on non rooted phones now and again? Would we know it? Would anyone know it? A call to VZW would simply replace the phone without them coming here, to XDA or to IRC.
im wondering that as well,and also wondering if it has happened to any rooted froyo radio phones with the off brand chipset. if how the bad emmc chip communicates with the GB radio causes the corruption,then we can prolly assume that no unrooted devices have succomed to it,as well as no rooted froyo phones. if its just the chip,period,it may just be a huge coincidence that the rooted phones were on GB that it has happened to... and there may be some stockers that have died that well never know about.

if the GB radio is causing the prollem with said chipset,this seems a huge arguement for keeping your bootloaders unlocked and taking advantage of the development community to test your potential updates before springing them on the unsuspecting public who just bought a phone and want it to work ;) i mean,really... weve fixed the camera,among other things,and found a potentially serious issue with the radio.

I actually flashed back to GB yesterday and will stay on it unless a definite brick threat is discovered that can be traced back to either GB or the radio. But then again, that's me and I have a DI that I can *228 back to in a second.

Guys, about all this biz about the death-loop, I don't want to encourage anyone to do something that could/will brick their TB, but I went back to BAMF 1.6.3 and though I liked it before I flashed 2.0 B5, after having the latter, it was just too hard to stay on Froyo. It was 2am when I reverted back because I was scared shitless... maybe I was just tired, I don't know.

All that to say, if you've been reading the threads on XDA, you know the theories and risks involved. Personally, I think the risk is small to moderate. I have a Fascinate to use until I get a replacement TB if I brick. I believe it is something defective about the hardware that causes the problem and only a few TBs share the commonality. Those who did the 1-click root method may be more susceptible to the death-loop somehow. My point is, until more is known about the cause, I'm comfortable with the risk until something more concrete is known.

Anyways, I think there will be another radio come out soon, so it's not like this will go on indefinitely. Just my .02.
im with you guys here. i ran cm7 for a couple days,and i remember why i was excited for this leak in the first place... id have to charge a couple times a day to get thru it :eek: while cm7 still is my personal choice,i still cannot run it for more than a day or so at a time until RIL is completely merged and battery life gets more under control with nightly builds. i appreciate slayhers work on it 100% but hes one man with other issues in life just like us. its understandable full CM support is gonna take some time.

so i cant really run cm7,and cant run the GB leak... after much mental anguish i tried to go back to froyo. i flashed bamf 1.7 last night,and while its a great froyo rom,being on froyo makes me one sad panda.

eff it,ive still got an inc,a droid 1,and an eris that are a *228 away if somethin happens. im going to join you back in gingerbread land. :cool:

either a) itll be fine,or b)itll bootloop and die,and then i can at least contribute some info back to the community who cannot take the risk. see ya on the other side,guys :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones