• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Everything 5G Is Trash

puppykickr

Android Expert
Feb 1, 2019
USA
Everything 5G is trash.

Now the family's router has two frequencies- 2.4GHz, and 5GHz.

The 2.4GHz works fine.
Now my devices keep trying to link to the stupid 5GHz connection, and then the signal is weak and I cannot connect.

Even if I stand in front of the stupid thing, an app I have tells me that it is 3.7m away.

The 2.4GHz is reoresented as the correct distance.

But for the last 3 days my devices have not been able to connect, and it says IP failure.

So today I walked out to the end of our service area, and lo and behold, they both linked right up to the 2.4GHz signal and work fine.

But as soon as I get close enough, they try to link to the completely weak and worthless 5GHz signal and then the connection is lost.

I have restarted both devices multiple times, restarted the router multiple times, and tested the wi-fi on the devices everywhere else.

The only issue is at home, where this stupid, worthless 5GHz signal completely barracades any internet access.

Now that my service provider (T-Mobile) has completely shut down the Sprint system here, I have no cellular service at home either.

They brag endlessly about their 5G crap, yet cannot even provide LTE, let alone any cell service reliably.

This is nothing but total frustration, and I find it difficult to believe that it is not meant to be so.

5G is a total waste of time and effort.
I can very easily see myself ending my entire online presence rarher than deal with this.

Yesterday I even sat in Wal-Mart's parking lot for an hour just to mooch off their wi-fi in order to contact people- at keast until the horrible 'music' they blast outside drove me away.

Tell me again how great 5G is, while I have to drive miles away from home to use the damn phone.

Reactions: Rgarner
Everything 5G is trash.

Now the family's router has two frequencies- 2.4GHz, and 5GHz.

The 2.4GHz works fine.
Now my devices keep trying to link to the stupid 5GHz connection, and then the signal is weak and I cannot connect.

Even if I stand in front of the stupid thing, an app I have tells me that it is 3.7m away.

The 2.4GHz is reoresented as the correct distance.

But for the last 3 days my devices have not been able to connect, and it says IP failure.

So today I walked out to the end of our service area, and lo and behold, they both linked right up to the 2.4GHz signal and work fine.

But as soon as I get close enough, they try to link to the completely weak and worthless 5GHz signal and then the connection is lost.

I have restarted both devices multiple times, restarted the router multiple times, and tested the wi-fi on the devices everywhere else.

The only issue is at home, where this stupid, worthless 5GHz signal completely barracades any internet access.

You should be able to turn off the 5GHz AP in your WiFi router's admin settings, and just have the AP as 2.4GHz only.

I can do it with my Huawei phone with Harmony OS, turn off the 5GHz AP in the hotspot options. But I'm sure most routers have similar options, to have 2.4GHz only.
hotspot.jpg

Thing with 5GHz WiFi, depending on the construction of the premises, it can be rather line-of-sight. 5GHz microwaves just bounces off structures like foil lined plasterboard, and steel reinforced concrete. Even traditional brick or stone walls can be quite opaque to 5GHz.

Now that my service provider (T-Mobile) has completely shut down the Sprint system here, I have no cellular service at home either.

They brag endlessly about their 5G crap, yet cannot even provide LTE, let alone any cell service reliably.

This is nothing but total frustration, and I find it difficult to believe that it is not meant to be so.

5G is a total waste of time and effort.
I can very easily see myself ending my entire online presence rarher than deal with this.

Yesterday I even sat in Wal-Mart's parking lot for an hour just to mooch off their wi-fi in order to contact people- at keast until the horrible 'music' they blast outside drove me away.

Tell me again how great 5G is, while I have to drive miles away from home to use the damn phone.

Of course I can't really comment about that, as I'm not in the US.

But my 5G coverage is great with China Unicom and Nihao Mobile(which is an MVNO on Unicom). :thumbsupdroid:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My 5ghz on my netgear Nighthawk is pretty good. I can even walk out to my porch and use it with no issues.

Have you tried just rebooting the router?

Also 5G is still spotty in a lot of places...... Even here in LA it can be hit or miss. What I have noticed is that when I do not get 5G, the 4G LTE kicks in, but it seems soooooooo much slower than when I only had 4G in the past. But when I do get 5G, it's blazing fast and it seems faster than it was on WiFi.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Is it the same thing? I thought not. IDK.

I could choose 2.4 or 5 ghz on many devices or in hotels long before 5G towers.

A major concern with 5G is aviation safety, regarding avionics and terminal Air Traffic Control, though I never sat down to look into it properly.

OT : @jhtalisman I finally reached over 300mbps this week on my 5G phone that has only two 5G bands (n77, 78) but my recent switch of carrier in the UK yields enormously better speeds across the board on 4G than others I had been stuck with in the past. (I'm still not sure what the maximum 4G speeds are, or what bands my Carrier EE uses but my phone is generally fast)

Upvote 0
Is it the same thing? I thought not. IDK.

I could choose 2.4 or 5 ghz on many devices or in hotels long before 5G towers.

A major concern with 5G is aviation safety, regarding avionics and terminal Air Traffic Control, though I never sat down to look into it properly.

OT : @jhtalisman I finally reached over 300mbps this week on my 5G phone that has only two 5G bands (n77, 78) but my recent switch of carrier in the UK yields enormously better speeds across the board on 4G than others I had been stuck with in the past. (I'm still not sure what the maximum 4G speeds are, or what bands my Carrier EE uses but my phone is generally fast)

Compared to 5g my 4g lte is a snail.

I use both bands on my router at-home as certain devices cannot use 5ghz. But everything in my house is 50-60ft away from my router other than maybe 1 security camera.

Upvote 0
Standing right next to the router, it says that I am almost 4m away.

The only way to get any signal at all is to be that far away in reality, so that the device is completely out of range for the worthless 5G.

I reset the router multiple times, as well as restarted the devices multiple times.

The only way to get wi-fi is to be on the edge of coverage, or travel somewhere else that has free wi-fi and no 5G.

If I connect to the 2.4G wi-fi, and then walk closer to the router, the stupid devices automatically latch on to the useless 5G and then I am told 'IP configuration failure' and 'No Internet'.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You should be able to turn off the 5GHz AP in your WiFi router's admin settings, and just have the AP as 2.4GHz only.

I can do it with my Huawei phone with Harmony OS, turn off the 5GHz AP in the hotspot options. But I'm sure most routers have similar options, to have 2.4GHz only.
View attachment 161771

Thing with 5GHz WiFi, depending on the construction of the premises, it can be rather line-of-sight. 5GHz microwaves just bounces off structures like foil lined plasterboard, and steel reinforced concrete. Even traditional brick or stone walls can be quite opaque to 5GHz.

Of course I can't really comment about that, as I'm not in the US.

But my 5G coverage is great with China Unicom and Nihao Mobile(which is an MVNO on Unicom). :thumbsupdroid:

Cant switch it off on the phones.
Hate computers, have no use for them and no idea how to do anything with them.

Computers only frustrate me, only complicating everything they are connected to.

Everything about them is a constant circle of try, fail, repeat until I give up and just do it manually.

I hate computers.
Anything I do of that sort is done with an Android or not at all.

Upvote 0
I am a router dummy but I am feeling your pain. This is likely a stupid suggestion but I'll throw it out there for consideration.

Copied off the net: Some devices don’t work very well with certain types of encryption, including AES and TKIP. Go to your router settings and switch over to WPA2-PSK. Every router works differently, so we can’t give you step-by-step instructions, but you can refer to your user guide for specific instructions

Reactions: Rgarner and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Cant switch it off on the phones.
Hate computers, have no use for them and no idea how to do anything with them.

Computers only frustrate me, only complicating everything they are connected to.

Everything about them is a constant circle of try, fail, repeat until I give up and just do it manually.

I hate computers.
Anything I do of that sort is done with an Android or not at all.

But you should be able to disable the 5GHz on your WiFi router though, via the router's admin settings, which you should be able to do with just a phone or tablet. Usually you connect the browser to a certain IP address in the router, and that shows the admin pages and configuration. It might be something like 192.168.1.1, or 192.168.1.100, etc. depending on the particular router, like Linksys, TP-Link etc.

I don't use Windows, as that can be a frustrating experience.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am a router dummy but I am feeling your pain. This is likely a stupid suggestion but I'll throw it out there for consideration.

Copied off the net: Some devices don’t work very well with certain types of encryption, including AES and TKIP. Go to your router settings and switch over to WPA2-PSK. Every router works differently, so we can’t give you step-by-step instructions, but you can refer to your user guide for specific instructions

It seems to be set to that already, as that it how it appears on the Android devices.

Upvote 0
I have no idea what the IP would be, or the password.

It should be in the documentation that came with your router, the same admin that sets the SSID and PSK password.

Does your WiFi come from a router you don't have admin access to, e.g. WiFi is provided by a landlord, or the router is rented from an ISP, or you're in a hotel. etc.?

Just nothing to do with computers since the Commodore 64.

I still use a Commodore 64. :D Well a modern version C64 Mini, I bought from TaoBao.

As I've already posted, you don't need a computer to configure a router admin via WiFi. It can be done by pretty much any smart-phone or tablet, as long as it has a browser.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones