• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How To Everything root-noobs need to know! (Q&A)

Psychokitty

Android Enthusiast
Dec 14, 2009
In the forum dog house.
I've been on so many of these forums and the common problem has always been that this stuff is written BY those 'in the know' FOR those 'in the know'. Then a few of the nice guys try their best to write moronified versions or step-by-steps for those who are NOT 'in the know'.

Maybe folks can pitch in to this thread just by putting links to very specific posts in threads here where the instructions, tutorials or info that is no doubt already somewhere on this forum can be found. Remember, noobs like myself aren't stupid, we just don't know what the hell you're talking about. So please don't use acronyms and such, as most of us noobs simply don't know the jargon.

Where can I find out more about the Android operating system?

Where can I find out more about smart phone technology?

What sorts of things can be done, once developed, on a rooted Droid?

What sorts of thing might be able to be done on a rooted Droid?

What's being worked on as of 12/29/09 ? (...short list)

How can I tell what's safe to try on my Droid and what's still in the testing phase?

What's going to be included on the new Android update, and when? (...short list, mark "known" or "rumor")

Are there any other Pros to rooting my Droid?

What bad things can happen during rooting my Droid?

Can my Droid be recovered from being bricked during a rooting attempt?

What bad things can happen after my Droid is rooted?

Can my Droid be recovered if it bricks once it's been rooted?

What happens when my service provider or Google tries to automatically install an operating system update to my rooted Droid?

Is there a way I can keep my Droid from accepting automatic operating system updates?

What happens when I accept app updates on my rooted Droid?

How can I "unroot" my Droid?

While unrooting, will I lose all of my data or apps?

How can I back up all of the data, apps and configuration settings of my Droid?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones