• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Everything Went Down Today

jefboyardee

Extreme Android User
Jan 18, 2011
Nice weather here, no wind, and my cable ISP dies. I pick up my droid to call them and confirm that, but the phone connection -- no relation -- died too. The very thought of everything going down is a bit terrifying in this modern age. It's all back now, but someday, I suspect it will happen for good. Then we'll have to start over; land lines, newspapers, shopping at local gougers instead of amazoning... spooky.

The very thought of everything going down is a bit terrifying in this modern age.
This is the very reason I steadfastly refuse to 'bundle' services. In fact, I just told an AT&T rep that today! :)

I keep all my services separate so if one goes down the others can't be affected. If I bundled, as with the UVerse offer AT&T tried to convince me I want, if one thing goes down they ALL go down. :mad: No thanks. :dontknow:

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
We really are so dependant on our electronics.
I had panic attacks when I couldn't log into this forum for several weeks.:(
Sometimes I have really scary nightmares about what would happen if we really had a blackout that continued for quite some time. What would we do if we had no cell phones or internet? That would mean that we couldn't log on and use our debit cards to pay our internet and phone bills.;):p

Upvote 0
Did you contact either company to find out the cause?

No, at first because my droid is my only connection and I wasn't going out, then because it was too late to bother. Just checked the local paper online and the providers' sites; not a word.

This is the very reason I steadfastly refuse to 'bundle' services.

I don't bundle either, that's what spooked me.

That's exactly what rang in my head when this happened.

Upvote 0
Could have been a simple power outage at the substation that services your isp's routers and the tower for your cell provider. We had a local Verizon node go out here last year that took out telecommunications for 50 mile radius because the other providers were using that particular switch to route their traffic through.

Personally I think information connected people are so sensitized to outrageous stories that every little glitch becomes a conspiracy or catastrophe. All it takes is for one, every now and then, to be dire enough to confirm suspicions that it keeps the embers of fear glowing. All this conspiracy hyperbole is a conspiracy. ;)

Upvote 0
I think he watched battleship to many times . if it was to go down and the modem world failed trust and believe its a backup plan a,b or c,d they couldn't control world defense or even money if the modem age fails Backup plan :D:eek::cool:

I see you are in DE ... that was one of the affected areas. Were you hit with the outage?

Upvote 0
This is the very reason I steadfastly refuse to 'bundle' services. In fact, I just told an AT&T rep that today! :)

I keep all my services separate so if one goes down the others can't be affected. If I bundled, as with the UVerse offer AT&T tried to convince me I want, if one thing goes down they ALL go down. :mad: No thanks. :dontknow:

Not bundling doesn't always prevent that. We had a main network connection go down here that shut down internet for all carriers and even wired connections, and killed any long distance calls, both cellular and land line.

Upvote 0
Not bundling doesn't always prevent that.
True, but in my case, since I have landline, cellphone, cable Internet, and satellite TV (DirecTV), all unrelated, it would take something catastrophic to affect all of them at one time.

We had a main network connection go down here that shut down internet for all carriers and even wired connections, and killed any long distance calls, both cellular and land line.
Ouch. Sounds like fun. Not!

Upvote 0
It's all back now, but someday, I suspect it will happen for good. Then we'll have to start over; land lines, newspapers, shopping at local gougers instead of amazoning... spooky.

I've lived most of my life without internet and cellphones so I know it can be done. Not horrified about it but certainly don't look forward to it.

Upvote 0
I actually have been a while offline. 0_0 Mostly because Comcast, along with everyone else has gone down. So, I couldn't go on Twitter, AF, XDA, AndroidCentral and MalwareUp. A lot of things seem to happen when you don't check them. I had like 20 PMs on Twitter, and a whole slew of things to check.
Luckily service was restored in a few days. My phone glitched out, had to update the PRL using QPST, fun times. #FirstWorldProblems

Upvote 0
I had panic attacks when I couldn't log into this forum for several weeks.:(
Sometimes I have really scary nightmares about what would happen if we really had a blackout that continued for quite some time. What would we do if we had no cell phones or internet? That would mean that we couldn't log on and use our debit cards to pay our internet and phone bills.;):p

Your nightmares sound like that show Revolution.

Revolution (TV Series 2012– ) - IMDb

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones