• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Evidence that HTC Evo 4G sports a 24 bit display, not 16 bit

Yes - according to this, you can install on 2.1 and see for yourself:

Froyo gallery on 2.1 - PPCGeeks

(follow from there to XDA)

See also -

Cooliris | Nexus One Media Gallery on Android - The official app

Other XDA threads say it's 24-bit.

YouTube - Nexus One - Camera and 3D Gallery

If anybody wants this style of photo gallery. Download the combination of flixie wall papers and 3D gallery (both found in the marketplace). It gives you an exact replica of the Stock Android Photo gallery. I prefer it over the sense gallery, it is rather boring if you ask me.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
If anybody wants this style of photo gallery. Download the combination of flixie wall papers and 3D gallery (both found in the marketplace). It gives you an exact replica of the Stock Android Photo gallery. I prefer it over the sense gallery, it is rather boring if you ask me.

Wow, that app is nice.:cool:

It really amplifies how freakin slow our phone are at reading the sd card. :(

Upvote 0
Yes - according to this, you can install on 2.1 and see for yourself:

Froyo gallery on 2.1 - PPCGeeks

(follow from there to XDA)

Tried this on my Evo. Definitely 16 bit all the way. I can't get the 24 bit view that I get with the stock gallery app. I do like the look of the app though but probably wouldn't use it since the image quality is nowhere near as good as the regular gallery app.

Mike

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Just read this article saying the evo can show 24bit color, like mikeyandroid has said, thought i would post.
Battle Royale 2: Smartphones face off, screen to screen | Dialed In - CNET Blogs

Given Mike's background, I'm not at all surprised that he was vindicated.

Very interesting article. I disagree with the approach of simply setting all of the phones to their max brightness, but he was open and fair about his rationale.

I only wonder if his display was an Epson - we know the Novatek is 24-bit, that would close the case on this subject.

Upvote 0
Comment posted on my video says that XDA has found documentation showing that the Novatec panel is 24 bit. I wonder if someone with an Epson panel could run my test to see if they get the same observations. If the Epson panel is also 24 bit, it would confirm that all Evo's have 24 bit hardware.

Mike

I looked at a gradient I downloaded from the web and there is banding. =(

(hardware v. 3)

Upvote 0
I only wonder if his display was an Epson - we know the Novatek is 24-bit, that would close the case on this subject.
Mikey said his display was Novatec and even asked for someone to try with an Epson, so I think that should answer your Q.

I looked at a gradient I downloaded from the web and there is banding. =(
Find one the right size of our screen else it will shrink/expand it automatically so you will never get to that same view. Or maybe Mikey will post his image files on here for us to download?

Upvote 0
Mikey said his display was Novatec and even asked for someone to try with an Epson, so I think that should answer your Q.

Probably - or perhaps. It matters that the gallery app is somewhat snarky in Android 2.1, so I'd hope the right file is used.

Find one the right size of our screen else it will shrink/expand it automatically so you will never get to that same view. Or maybe Mikey will post his image files on here for us to download?

Not trying to speak for him, but it's true some people simply post less than others.

Here's the other thread where Mike explored the situation, specifically the post with the color bar gradient. He'd posted other color tests there as well, and you may find the thread itself somewhat interesting.

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/109685-why-did-htc-put-16bit-65k-color-lcd-device-droid-x-has-18bit-24-million-both-phones-199-a-4.html#post1099737

Sorry didn't notice this sooner - hope this helps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones