• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Evo 3D can't read my SD card

th1sn00b

Lurker
Aug 9, 2011
Hey, so I'm not exactly tech savvy and I apologize if this issue has already been covered, but I have this problem where my phone can't read my 8GB micro sd card. Funny thing is, the card itself works fine on the computer--the computer is able to read it and I'm able to access and see all the files in there via micro sd card adapter, but whenever I try to mount the card onto my phone it keeps telling me that either "there is no sd card mounted" or "the sd card is damaged". I wanted to test whether or not it was my phone that was the culprit of this issue, so I mounted in a 64MB micro sd card that was originally from my old LG Muziq onto my Evo to see if it can pick up the card and it did. So, the quirky thing is that my phone can pick up other cards except for the 8GB one, but I'm able to access the 8GB card on my computer. I tried formatting my card, but about 1-2 minutes in, a window pops up and reads, "Windows is unable to complete the format." I don't know what's going on with my phone. One important note I'd like to make is that I've been using this 8GB card on my Evo for quite some time and it has been operating fine and perfectly until yesterday. This problem spawned when I was watching a video I captured on my phone and suddenly the video player froze up and ever since then I haven't been able to use this sd card on my phone.

Help is much appreciated.

Push Menu > Settings > SD & Phone storage > Unmount it if it is mounted > Erase SD card. This will format it using the phone (instead of windows).

Windows will try to format it as NTFS, which Android cannot read (well, some mods you can do will make Android read it, but meh). Android usually formats SD cards as FAT32. Which every OS can read.

So try formatting it with the phone. If it doesn't work still, you might have a dead card.

Upvote 0
this has happened across multiple handsets and is not a problem with the handset. rather its with the OS and the file system. multiple read/write sessions can cause errors.

above advice is sound. you could also do a scan disk and check for errors on your desktop machine. put the SD card in your desktops card reader and perform a check disk. I had this happen on my old 2009 year htc hero.

Reactions: th1sn00b
Upvote 0
I've performed some checks on errors and I still get the same results. It isn't the card because I'm still able to access it via micro sd adapter and the card works on my other phones.

EDIT: And I can't unmount/mount or format the card from the phone because my phone fails to recognize that theres an SD card in its slot.

Upvote 0
Try to format the card as FAT32 in your computer and then try to see if your EVO recognizes it?

I saw the note in OP "I tried formatting my card, but about 1-2 minutes in, a window pops up and reads, "Windows is unable to complete the format."" - is that you trying to format as NTFS or FAT32?
Regardless, if you are unable to format it on your PC, and the EVO is unable to recognize it, it might be a faulty card - send to manufacturer - most of them have lifetime warranty.

Upvote 0
Before formatting, you might want to transfers your files to your PC first, then format it in Fat 32 from the PC, then if it works you can transfer your files back ;)

One more thing, where did you buy the card from, even though it worked for a while there are many fake cards being sold out there, they work for a while and then they completely stop.

Upvote 0
As others have mentioned, I would try to back up your files and go for a nice clean format job.

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/

This little PC software utility I highly recommended for formatting sd cards. It is distributed by the SD Card Association and is built specifically for formatting SD cards. I especially like using the FULL (erase) and FULL (overwrite). They take some time, however I feel like they do a better job and fully cleanse the card.

If I was you I'd download this utility to your computer and run the FULL (erase) to clear all files, and then run a FULL (overwrite) as it will over write the whole volume of the drive. Set aside a half hour or hour for it and work on something else while it runs. Once you have a fresh clean card, then reinstall it to the phone and make sure it is recognized and written to. After that, then you can try to put your backed up files back on the clean card and then back into the phone again.

If the software encounters an error during FULL overwrite then I'm going to guess it will be time for you to get a replacement/new micro SD card. If it cannot overwrite to it cleanly, then maybe it has developed a bad sector. You can find a new Micro SD card, in a variety of capacities, for pretty cheap these days.

Upvote 0
Sorry for the late reply, holidays and junk. I appreciate all your answers. To answer the poster before the post above me: yes, I've formatted it in FAT32 and Windows won't allow me to finish the formatting process. My card is a Kingston and I got it off from a phone that I don't use.

I'll be sure to use that formatting utility that you've provided for me, I really appreciate it :) I'll keep you guys updated as soon as I try it, thanks!

UPDATE: Problem solved, thank you for all the help, I really appreciate all of your efforts and responses. If there are any further problems, I'll be sure to post them, but for now it's working fine.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones