1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

General EVO 3D & Novox77 a Star

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Doingit, May 25, 2011.

1. Doingit

None

May 25, 2011

Advertisement

2. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!
    None

Jul 7, 2010
    hmm, I'm not one to seek that kind of attention. and part of me wishes someone would have given me a heads up before quoting me. But I guess this stuff is all public, so anything goes....

3. PyroSporker

PyroSporker Android Expert
    None

Apr 3, 2010
    Ha! I like your new signature Novox. :D

Interesting to see this article turn up. Now lets just hope that others out there are reading these here forums too. *nudge Sprint, nudge nudge HTC*

4. Doingit

None

May 25, 2011
    Can someone answer this honestly. Does anyone think someone at Sprint or HTC gets paid to "read blogs and forums," as well as perform the daily duties required for their job? Someone with a job on that level wouldn't be reporting that information to the CEO or execs at all. Does a CEO care about say 6,000 folks pissed off over a locked bootloader? Or does he care about the 3 million EVOs sold, minus the 6,000 rooted folks?

sergi0wned likes this.
  5. PyroSporker

PyroSporker Android Expert
    None

Apr 3, 2010
  6. RiverOfIce

None

Mar 30, 2010
    In exile
    Honestly? Yes, they read and take part in the discussion much more then you would ever believe. The forums are read. I was in a meeting with a client 3 days ago, and the whole discussion was about issue brought up on android forums.

I know for a fact that a few ceo read this and other websites, because I have talked to them about it. They are listening to you.

But it is a simple problem, they have to do what is best for their company. If a telecom says lock down the phone or we will not buy it, they have no choice.

7. BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite Android Expert
    None

May 6, 2010
    I can guarantee you HTC and Sprint both have people who only read forums all day. That is their job, no other daily duties.

And yes, they absolutely care about 6000 loyal customers suddenly going to a competitor. This isn't politics where you only need 1 more vote than the other guy to win. This is business where every customer you lose costs you money. It doesn't matter if you still have a bunch of other paying customers. Your job is to get as many customers as you possibly can.

HTC did not forecast losing thousands of customers in their financials. Losing thousands of customers likely means they don't meet the expectations they themselves set forth. This would not make the shareholders happy, and would likely cost someone their job.

sergi0wned likes this.
  8. Doingit

None

May 25, 2011
    If you are going to lead me to believe someone gets paid to look at forums all day long I will call Sprint Corporate HQ and I'm for certain they will say no. Never seen an ad in the paper "Wanted....no degree required to look at forums all day of cell phone nerds." Salary: $7 a week

And when was the last time Sprint actually turned a profit? Sprint hasn't been profitable in years. They seem to be going with the flow. They must have received a bailout from the government or Sprint is just breaking even. But their profits is ALWAYS down.

9. BlackDynamite

None

May 6, 2010
    Call Sprint then if it makes you happy, lol. People DO get paid to read forums, and they make a lot more than $7 per week.

Ask yourself this- why would Sprint make their own message boards, if they didn't care about message boards? Why do they have a facebook and a twitter? How do they respond to the hundreds of questions they get on facebook and twitter every day?

10. Doingit

None

May 25, 2011
    I can believe someone takes a look every once an awhile but this forum is too large for one person at Sprint or HTC to cover. Threads come/go and the voices here are a minority. In my opinion, that's why Sprint has tech support. They look to see what the biggest problems are with customers and their phones and they work from there. If people have problems with their phones they will call customer service and complain. A forum isn't a legit complaint system. If people at Sprint were to look at the Sprintusers forum its dead half the time.

11. BlackDynamite

None

May 6, 2010

Have you ever walked into a mall and had someone ask you to sit in on a market research session and they will give you a free gift card (or some other free item) for your time? This happens all the time, and the people asking you to do it are making way more than $7 per week.

So, if a company would pay good money to have people doing that all the time, why wouldn't they have someone reading message boards?

I can promise you, the company I work for has people reading and posting on message boards all day. And it's not some drop out who only gets paid $7 per week either. I would be shocked to find out that Sprint actually created their own forum and didn't pay anyone to post at or read any message boards.

12. Doingit

None

May 25, 2011
    Sprintusers.com is not sanctioned by Sprint. Sprint has a forum you login and use with your Sprint Account. Nobody really uses that forum on their account a lot. But yes, someone does read the actual "Sprint Forum."

13. CosmosLikesEVO

None

May 15, 2011
    Don't underestimate the power of word of mouth, for every "forum nerd" they lose, the have lost the recommendations that that might have been given to co-workers, family, friends etc. I know i won't be recommending the 3vo if they don't fix this mess.

14. BlackDynamite

None

May 6, 2010
    I know, I was talking about the actual Sprint forum. Why do you think Sprint would make that forum if they didn't care about message boards? And if you agree that they do care about message boards, why is it out of the realm of possibility that they would have somebody staffed to monitor and/or post on the ones they care about?

Trust me, they do. Just about every big corporation does.

Also, you don't need a Sprint account to post on the Sprint message boards. It asks you for your number, but you don't have to enter it.

15. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!
    None

Jul 7, 2010
    The vast majority of companies make their decisions based on the bottom line ($$$). Yes, losing customers is a big issue, since they are the ones buying the devices, but there are other revenue streams (or risk/liability/losses) to consider. We don't REALLY know why HTC changed their bootloader security policy, and there's been plenty of speculation, but you can bet it was motivated by a financial incentive.

So... HTC's final decision isn't going to be purely based on the current customer backlash. They are going to weigh the financial loss of the backlash against whatever motivated them to lock down the bootloader in the first place. I don't think any of us can know at what point the scale will tip in the consumer's favor. All we can do is voice our opinion and hope there's enough of us to make an impact.

16. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy
    None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    I fix stuff
    Over there <points>
    A point of proof that HTC/Sprint/Google read forums and follow fan sites is that every time a device gets rooted through an exploit, that exploit gets fixed next patch. Always happens. It would also be dumb not to look at help forums to see where more people have problems. Complaints that are reoccurring often probably get higher priority.

Tags: