• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

EVO 3D Rumor Mill

Status
Not open for further replies.
I highly doubt they would include a "shell" for customers to choose from in the box. The last thing they will want is customers wanting to be swapping out the contents of the insides to a different shell on their own.
Now am I mistaking this as in when you say "shell" you are just meaning a new battery cover itself? since seeing the phone and the little HTC case I always thought why couldn't HTC just make a back battery cover that was slightly thicker and be flush with the top of the camera lip and include the kick stand also?
I'm pretty sure the answer lies in the cost of making it flush and adding the kickstand.

Upvote 0
if it was a cost thing.. htc would not include both shells in the package!

shell.. i would assume it is just the back cover replacement.
but there were nokia is the past that could have shells replaced with all sorts of colors/themes. that was hugely popular with the ladies.

Upvote 0
As long as it's better than iMovie. That was pretty exciting until it launched, at which point people became aware they couldn't do a damn thing with it. It will also be key to editing 3D movies seeing as how I am not sure there even is any other consumer software on the planet that does this.

yes theres 3rd party software for editing, man you guys have to get unamazed by 3d, its not new at all, its cool as hell, but not amazing. Would be nice to have out the box editing tools though.

Upvote 0
So the 1700mah battery is physically larger than the 1700mah batteries currently out on the market for the original EVO? :thinking:

The original Evo 4G came with a 1500mah battery. Are you referring to the 3rd party 1700mah batteries out for the Evo 4G? if you are it has been shown that 3rd parties are full of sh*t when it comes to honestly rating their batteries. 3rd party batteries that are rated at 1800mah are shown to be no better than the OEM 1500mah battery.
BatteryBoss Calls Out False Capacity Claims!

Bottom line is that you can't make a higher capacity battery, of the same technology, without increasing the size of the battery. So yes the Evo 3D is larger because it has to be.

Upvote 0
The original Evo 4G came with a 1500mah battery. Are you referring to the 3rd party 1700mah batteries out for the Evo 4G? if you are it has been shown that 3rd parties are full of sh*t when it comes to honestly rating their batteries. 3rd party batteries that are rated at 1800mah are shown to be no better than the OEM 1500mah battery.
BatteryBoss Calls Out False Capacity Claims!

Bottom line is that you can't make a higher capacity battery, of the same technology, without increasing the size of the battery. So yes the Evo 3D is larger because it has to be.

There actually is one that I have been made aware of sold by Sprint (not sure if it's an HTC or a Seidio). I do know the Sedios are as good as what they are rated for though (based on users actually getting more life from them) and they are no bigger than the stock battery. I am sure the battery increase isn't about cramming more juice into the thing, but rather using the space within the battery itself more wisely.

EDIT: I did have a look at that chart and it does have Seidio on there as one of the dishonest. Admittedly the battery in question isn't on the list though. I do believe it is a 1750mah battery I am referring to.

Upvote 0
There actually is one that I have been made aware of sold by Sprint (not sure if it's an HTC or a Seidio). I do know the Sedios are as good as what they are rated for though (based on users actually getting more life from them) and they are no bigger than the stock battery. I am sure the battery increase isn't about cramming more juice into the thing, but rather using the space within the battery itself more wisely.

EDIT: I did have a look at that chart and it does have Seidio on there as one of the dishonest. Admittedly the battery in question isn't on the list though. I do believe it is a 1750mah battery I am referring to.

I would agree that Seidio is a top tier 3rd party vendor but that doesn't make them immune to exaggeration. In the chart I linked there is a lightly used Seidio 1750mah battery listed and the actual capacity is even lower than an OEM battery at 1383mah. Its for a TP2 and not the EVO but they are very very similar.

I have heard the anecdotal evidence as well but there is a reason that placebo pills work. People can easily be manipulated into believing a non-existent something is having an effect on them, either positive or negative. Its because of this I trust numbers more than people.

I also understand your point about using your space more efficiently. Thats the whole reason apple doesn't have replaceable batteries (besides trying to rape you later on replacement costs). By removing the modular packaging you leave more volume for actual battery capacity. But I can tell you this, even if you completely removed the packaging of the EVO 4G's battery there is no way you could pick up an additional 250mah. Thats just not enough space.

Upvote 0
I wasn't, by any means, trying to imply they are immune to exaggeration. I was simply stating that the 1750mah battery seems to give better life for most users, which I find peculiar if it is, in actuality, a lower mah rating. I'll go back and look at the chart as I honestly must have missed that battery. All that said, how many of any given battery did they test and where did they get them? Just curious.

EDIT: I see the TP2 battery at 1750 mah, but not the EVO one. Are they the same? I don't know... Interestingly they have an EVO battery labeled as 1800mah on the list, however try as I might I cannot find that as a purchasable product online. I do see a 1750mah battery for the EVO by seidio however.

Again, I base my statements purely on what I have read about extended batteries from the people that claim to have used them. As far as I can tell they took a single battery to run their tests. While the results are compelling, I would hardly call them scientifically conclusive.

Not here to defend any one side, I simply find it peculiar that users are seeing increased battery life with these batteries when they should actually be seeing the same or less. I am not sure the placebo effect is in place here. I have literally seen people show their screens of their uptime increasing with these batteries. They aren't imagining it, it is simply happening (unless of course they are all going through the trouble of photoshopping their images, which I suppose is possible, but not probable).

Upvote 0
I'm just hoping the battery goes from 7am - 7pm without me babying it at the end of the day.

Side note: Apparently Droid Life will delete your comments. I should point out, my remark on there was, "You're a spokesperson for this site and you are posting information that is just flat out wrong. I would think you would make sure you are correct before making something absolute." Tim-O-Tato appears to be the one deleting comments. Just an FYI for you DL followers. They just lost major points for that.

Reactions: lordofthereef
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones