• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Evo 3D Software Update Coming August 23rd (rolling out now)

Diggin this update.

Also, I was a 1820 before :D

20110818165120.jpg

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
I haven't updated yet. I decided to read all the post before updating. I read a few posts that mentioned the camera shutter sound now stays on. There is an app for that. Its called Silentsnap. I have never used this app. So I don't know how well it works.Here is the link.
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.blundell&feature=search_result

Yeah, following my link in post 90 eventually leads there. I decided when I first found that app weeks ago, that based on the terrible reviews, the attitude of the developer, and the unnecessary seeming internet permission for that application, that I would never use his application unless I was faced with no other options.
I'm not convinced yet that this is not a bug and have hopes that HTC may make it right. I've got an email out with them, we will see.

Upvote 0
Yeah, following my link in post 90 eventually leads there. I decided when I first found that app weeks ago, that based on the terrible reviews, the attitude of the developer, and the unnecessary seeming internet permission for that application, that I would never use his application unless I was faced with no other options.
I'm not convinced yet that this is not a bug and have hopes that HTC may make it right. I've got an email out with them, we will see.

I knew I heard about this app somewhere in the Photon forum. It was your post. I haven't tried it yet, but I might give it a try and report back.

Upvote 0
Updated my Evo 3D and thought I'd chime in on the shutter sound...

Shutter sound works when I take a screenshot and the phone isn't on silent or vibrate.

Shutter sound never works when I take a picture...doesn't matter if ringer is on, on silent, or vibrate.

Shutter works when taking a screenshot.
I tried taking pictures and it ALWAYS has a shutter sound no matter if its on Ring/Silent/Vibrate/media volume muted/etc :(

Upvote 0
Shutter works when taking a screenshot.
I tried taking pictures and it ALWAYS has a shutter sound no matter if its on Ring/Silent/Vibrate/media volume muted/etc :(

Hmmm, that's odd. I checked the Sound settings but there's nothing there. Maybe the update copied whatever the setting was before? My shutter sound has always been off, was yours by chance set to on before the update?

No other idea why there seems to be variations with 3D owners and the shutter sound...

Upvote 0

Not sure, but just a suggestion, worst case, if you're rooted (assuming you are), you could try something like the Permissions app to deny internet to it. Sure, it may force close, but then you can just uninstall.

Upvote 0
What is the consensus, I have been busy at work all day, and it has been crazy, safe or not safe to download this update if we decide we want to root within the next month or so, I could of sworn I read later on today that they unlock the bootloader, but you have to register at HTC, will registering also void our phone.

Upvote 0
Before trying that why not call HTC tech support and see what they say

Any way to revert back. I'd rather have my phone work with my Ford SYNC than have screenshot capabilities. I've reset my phone 4 times and tried pairing it with my car's SYNC a dozen times. Phone shows it's paired and connected, SYNC shows the Evo 3D but not connected. It tries connecting but no go. This sucks.

Upvote 0
What is the consensus, I have been busy at work all day, and it has been crazy, safe or not safe to download this update if we decide we want to root within the next month or so, I could of sworn I read later on today that they unlock the bootloader, but you have to register at HTC, will registering also void our phone.

I've successfully unlocked the bootloader...but we're having problems getting a new recovery flashed. I'm guessing once some of the really smart people choose to work through this problem it will all be ok soon (most of those who really know the in's and out's were already rooted and therefore aren't trying to fix this first hand but rather through people like me who are about half clueless)

Upvote 0
Mine has been installed since early this morning and it's been running great. I think it's pretty safe for everyone. Also, I didn't do a reset for this update and it's been fine. =)

Me too. Only issue I had was that it changed my security lock to turn on immediately instead of after 15 minutes. Had to go back in and change it. Otherwise, perfect. Need to try call volume here soon. I'm ECSTATIC with having new Swype. Although....took me a minute to figure out why 'list' wasn't coming up in the dictionary. I accidentally Swyped over the Spanish thing, doh!

I didn't do factory reset either before applying this. Everything still seems to work the same or better than before.

Upvote 0
From what I have read in many threads so far over at XDA it messes with the recovery and many are having issues, and apparently there is already a bootable Zip ROM with the update so if your rooted simply flash that and be safe.

to all rooted users, its best not to do the update until the root gods have made sure it does not break anything. so hold off. i see some of you asking about that. its never a good idea to install these updates when you are rooted.

Upvote 0
Diggin this update.

Also, I was a 1820 before :D

Quadrant really a waste of your time and phone space - it's completely inaccurate here. I wish someone would drive a stake thru its heart.

In the root forum, you'll find that I was getting 2400 (yep, with pictures) - stock - from the beginning.

I rooted and overclocked - and promptly started getting between 950 and 2000 - it's really random.

Here are some good benchmarks to try -

For CPU - CF-Bench

For FPS - Nenamark 1 and 2 (2 is more trustworthy with dual-cores)

For fun - Monjori

For a test of your browser (as integrated with your phone) - Vellamo (change your default browser to see different results)

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Matlock
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones