• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help EVO 4G charging issues

sssteve72

Mar 14, 2011
Indiana
I'm posting this to basically to document our experience with the EVO 4G.

My wife and I both have an EGO 4G which was purchased last March 2011 or maybe it was April 2011. Both worked fine up until around beginning of July when all of the sudden I was having problems with data connection. I ran thru update after update and now finally it started working again though it isn't as good as it was before as I still occasionally get data connection errors. My wifes phone worked great up until about the beginning of August.

Since the beginning of August she has gone thru about 3 batteries as they keep saying it needs a battery. The problem is it just won't turn on and sometimes won't charge. She only uses a wall charger and a car charger.

My phone
Hardware version 0004
Android version 2.3.3 (since I updated trying to fix the data issue)

Her Phone
Hardware version 0004
Software version 2.2

Her phone just randomly seems to stop charging. Sometimes it won't come on sometimes it does. Last night I swapped the batteries since they keep giving us new ones.

My phone charged her battery to 100% (well 94% after a few minutes of use) and had a green light this morning. Her phone charged my battery to 64% and still had an orange light Her phone was using the HTC charger that came with it plugged into the wall mine was using a sanyo charger that came with another phone. I've never had a problem with my battery. So her phone only charging it to 64% after like 8 hours of charge time tells me it has nothing to do with the battery. In fact I believe it had more charge before it was plugged in and after charging it all night it lost power. Neither phone was turned on while charging they both were off. In the past 20 minutes her phone with her battery (that was at 94%) is now at 98%.

At this point it seems to me that the HTC charger that came with the phone is a piece of !$!@.

I have not tested her phone with the sanyo charger yet or with the charger that came with my phone as I use the cable at work connected to my computer all day. I have charged it before with the other charger but have not payed attention to it. I will do so tonight.

What it seems like to me is once a battery gets really low the charger seems to have trouble recognizing the condition of the battery so that it can charge it properly. I don't know if that is a function of the phone or the charger plugged into the wall.

But it clearly isn't the battery because I can take it out of her phone and put it in mine and it charged it just fine.

Upvote 0
Ok last night I put my phone on the HTC charger. And it was charging when I went to bed and when I got up the light was off and the phone was dead. One night it worked fine the next night the phone came up dead. I unplugged it and waited a couple of minutes and plugged it in and it blinked for about 3 minutes then went solid orange and after about 10 minutes I could turn it on.

It's that HTC charger as it sporadically charges or stops working. Doesn't seem to matter which phone I use or which battery. But it only does this on the HTC charger that came with it plugged into the wall.

Upvote 0
I'm gonna step over a boundary here, I love HTC, but I had 2 batteries acting the same way recently, brand new, next thing I know I end up with chemical burns on hands, however liquid present was not sufficient enough for testing, after SPRINT dismissing and not even documenting this claim I discovered some disturbing things, went to a private lab to do some testing, during metals test, had battery in a plastic bag, metals exposed in a closed container, in about 5 min a white crust started to appear, quickly after that gases were visibly seeping from battery bag. So I concluded my rubber insulated otter box assisted in excessive heat causing gas (most likely in potassium fam) to turn to liquid. I honestly was convinced by carrier that I was crazy, it was impossible, also since no representitive can answer this, what main chemicals go into this battery? No one will hand over this info in writing, this started on Aug 19, and I have still not been contacted by sprint, and the shady behavior that was involved makes me furious, like i said HTC has been a great help in this, still lacked urgency in the beginning.

Upvote 0
I would of course not recommend self diagnosis, I had a bit of a backround in acidic chemicals. Just a couple exposure signs, note-caustic and acidic chemicals can cover everything with just tiny amounts, skin irritation, burning feeling in contact area, discoloured skin, your hands can handle this in micro amounts, areas with sensitive skin continually burn, eyes irritated just by exposure, ALSO shortness of breath and difference in breathing, I did experience this symptom the 2nd time, go to the hospital!!! I just don't understand why this is easily dismissed with the sprint corporation, i am not and will not seek financial gain, I am seeking legal action to have this issue fully exposed.

Upvote 0
I have been having some of the same issues as well. It 1st started with me not being able to recieve text messages. Took the phone to a sprint store and got a replacement. The replacement was not charging on the charger that i had, so I took it back to get it looked at. They ordered me another replacement. This replacement would not allow me to get a signal. Called sprint they tell me that it was an outage. Take it back to the sprint store the next day, come to find out it was not an outage but the phone itself. They give me another replacement and now this one will not charge the two batteries that I have. Went to buy a new battery and it charged for a few minuntes and that was it. I can put the phone on the charger and it says that it is charging BUT the percentage is decreasing and not increasing. It finally started to charge on the new battery yesterday. Got home last night, go to put the phone on the charger and its charging fine, was at 85% when i went to bed around 10:30pm. Wake up around 2am and its at 35%. So i take the plug out and plug it back in and it starts charging without a problem. I then wake up around 5:25am and the battery is at 5% and it is STILL plugged up to the charger. Now i am at work and it is charging fine. This is crazy and beyond ridiculous. I am soooo fed up with these phones its not even funny.

Upvote 0
Since about September 5th we have not had any issue now with either phone. The problems just magically went away. Of course we are using the Sanyo charger that came with an old phone (well I did use the HTC charger a few times. When the phone dies i.e. runs out of battery and cannot run. It seems like it has problems getting started charging and at other times has random charging hiccups.

"I can put the phone on the charger and it says that it is charging BUT the percentage is decreasing and not increasing. " I have seen this happen too. When I looked at it I was like WTF?? it's going down!! After I unplugged it and plugged it back in it started going up.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones