• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

EVO 4g decision

BlueGoldAce

Jan 21, 2011
Hey everyone,

I have had the Evo since January 22, 2010. I love this phone, I mean I absolutely love it. I moved from a hero, so it is like finally discovering the true power of android.

That being said, I have tell the 21 of February to return the device. I would love not to do this, because the Evo is so much nicer than the hero (rooted the hero to cm7). But I am not the a premiere customer, and as such I am stuck on a 22 month cycle.

What does everyone here recommend I do. I could stick with the phone and love it, but that means I don't get an upgrade tell November 2012. I am rather afraid the evo will be outdated way before then. I was hoping sprint would announce something great today, but I was rather disappointed.

So what do I do, in your opinions? Do I stick with the evo, or return it and attempt to survive on my hero tell sprint comes out with a better phone?

Thanks, I really appreciate your opinion.

I'm in a similar boat. All I have right now is a T-Mobile tap. Everybody keeps telling me I should wait a few months to see if any new devices come out, and I'd love to do so, but I don't really have a device to tide me over. I've personally come to the conclusion that the Evo is a nice enough phone that, while it may not be top of the line by the end of the year, it'll still be a very nice phone.

Therefore, I've made my decision to purchase one on the 11th. Is that a bad decision? Probably, but waiting with a perfectly fine device to tide you over and waiting without a decent device to tide you over are two very different things.

Upvote 0
You've had an Evo since January 22, 2010?

There will always be the next best thing around the corner.

There are two types of cell phones; experimental and obsolete.

What is it that you want to do that the Evo doesn't? I love my Evo. Perhaps because it is my first smartphone ever. But I don't use it to its fullest. Sure I'd love a dual core, 3D color, dual display, with a discrete GPU, 32 GB SSD for memory, with a built-in 1080P projector, but all I'd do with it is play Angry Birds while on the crapper at work.

The Evo is a great phone. I don't regret the purchase one bit. I do wish Sprint's network was more robust and faster but that's what the $10 fee is for.

Upvote 0
Sorry I meant 2011

I am graduate student in neurology. Beyond using the phone for email and etc, my phone also interfaces with equipment and does data analysis. To correct myself, my Evo can do that great, but my hero is to slow.

I love having the latest and greatest, and that's what the evo feels like to me. I am willing to wait a month or two, but six months with the hero seems horrible after having the evo for a few weeks. I guess I could stick with the evo, but then i run the risk of having to shell out a good amount of money by years end.

I love this phone, but I honestly don't know enough about phone evolution to know if it is still a good buy.

Upvote 0
There's no way to answer your question if you love the Evo. Will you love something that comes out better - who knows. Make a list of the 5 things you want that Evo currently doesn't do, then let us know.

When I think of it that way, I want more Wimax, faster Wimax, the next Android update or two, better voice recognition, and truly seamless videoconferencing. I don't think Evo or any phone will get me any of those things because they have more to do with what the carriers will support.

If your top 5 is anything like mine, stick with Evo. The carriers have a long way to go.

Upvote 0
There's no way to answer your question if you love the Evo. Will you love something that comes out better - who knows. Make a list of the 5 things you want that Evo currently doesn't do, then let us know.

When I think of it that way, I want more Wimax, faster Wimax, the next Android update or two, better voice recognition, and truly seamless videoconferencing. I don't think Evo or any phone will get me any of those things because they have more to do with what the carriers will support.

If your top 5 is anything like mine, stick with Evo. The carriers have a long way to go.

Well I would like all of those things (or at least 4g where I live), and your right, it is the carriers.

1. I need a phone that stays up to date with android while I have it. If not, I run the risk of not being able to interface with lab equipment.
2. In theory I would like a phone that an stay current with the apps released in the market. I mean, on paper, I would love to have a powerful processor and graphic chip. In reality, I use my phone for the lab, internet, typical phone stuff, etc. I have played angry birds once or twice since I owned the evo (hero would not run it).
3. I need a phone that is quick and snappy. The evo is, I just fear that it will get slower with time, as the hero seemed to.
4. Honestly, most of all, I need a phone that feels like it is worth what I paid for it. When it comes time for my next upgrade, I want to be like "wow this is still a great phone, do I really need to get another one?". I don't want to be like "I'm going to buy out my contract so I can upgrade, because I can't stand this phone any longer" (hero memories).

I love the evo, and that is why I am on the fence. I loved the hero (my first smart phone), but once it aged it got slow. Once I put my hands on an evo, my hero seemed worthless.

I see the Thunderbolt coming out, and it supposedly blows the evo out of the water. The droid incredible, Droid X, droid 2 are roughly the same age as the evo. They seem like good-great phones...yet they are about to hit their "end-of-life" date in march/soon. With the prospect of an Evo 2 coming, and all these new "super phones", I am afraid the Evo is nearing is EOL date.

I just bought this phone, and I want/need it to last. That is why I am on the fence here.

Thanks for all your help thus far. This is a great forum!

Upvote 0
I agree, but how fast do you see it advancing to require that firepower, and surpass the evo? Or do you see it taking the path of the iphone, where most games can be played on all model?

From my perspective, it's more of how will I evolve as a user than what's possible from techonology advances. For example, streaming hi-def (1080p or even 720p) to my phone isn't a priority. Streaming high quality audio is more important. Why? Evo or any phone screen is small enough rendering minute differences in video quality complete overkill. People love screens with 16M color production - I don't care so much because few people can actually see 16M color gradations. I certainly can't, and I definitely think even those who can see more won't be able to on a screen this small.

From a network perspective, the next developments in 4G aren't going to replace current 4G so I'll be able to enjoy Evo for at least two more years.

Content-wise, there could be more stuff available, but how it's going to get to you in it's unalterated, high-bandwith hogging form isn't 100% settled. I'm hoping Wimax doesn't adopt carrier-controlled standards so, again, Evo should be fine for the foreseeable future.

By the time mid-2012 rolls around, I'll take a look. I just won't be compelled to move to something else unless it's another WOW! device like Evo.

Tablets are going to get such a growing share of attention from current phone makers that I think the next wave of superphones won't be as quick coming as they currently are and have been for the last 1-2 years.

Reactions: BlueGoldAce
Upvote 0
IMO, it all depends on your personality and how much functionality you feel the phone will have for you a couple years down the line.

I've gone from the Samsung i500 to the HTC Mogul to the HTC Touch Pro and now the EVO. For me, it was most important to have an overall phone that would have all the important functions for me. Looking back on it, none of those 3 phones come anywhere near to the EVO and I used to be a diehard qwerty keyboard person.

The way that mobile tech has been advancing, it seems like new phones are coming out left and right almost every 3-6 months. I think the main deciding factor for you should be based on your everyday lifestyle and if it's completely necessary for you to have a new phone every year. As fast as the tech is advancing, I can't see it moving so rapidly that they ignore the "general" consumers who don't really need to upgrade their phone every year, but still want to feel that their product is a great quality product and good enough to keep up with the times.

Reactions: BlueGoldAce
Upvote 0
Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate it.

I think the last two post are both right. Honestly, I believe the limit is with the carriers. I don't see the Evo going the path of the Hero. It is way to popular, and the Hero was underpowered to begin with.

I still got to worry about using my phone in my research, but I have tell the 21st. I will keep my ears open at the MWC. I really doubt that I return this phone. It is an amazing phone. Benchmark may be less than the new phone, or even the Droid X, but the phone runs very, very smooth (way smoother than the X in my opinion).

Honestly, phones are way overpriced in my opinion. Could it possibly be an agreement between the phone companies and the manufactures? Seems like a likely scenario to me. HTC, Motorola, etc keeps the phone prices high, and in turn the phone companies sell their phones, subsidize the price, and in turn lock people into two year contracts.

Upvote 0
Personally, I see myself easily using my Evo way beyond my 2-yr contract. In fact, this has been true for every cell phone I've ever owned.

When I buy a new phone, I obviously care about the phone's current capabilities. And I care about how much bang for the buck I get. I got the Evo near launch, and it being the best phone available, I didn't mind paying the $200 + 2yr contract for it.

I'm also not an impulsive buyer. I don't need the latest and greatest, and I feel like if I upgrade as soon as my contract is up, and my phone is still a decent phone, I'd be wasting some of the money I put down on the Evo.

Now, your situation is a bit different. The Evo is no longer brand new. But you know what? You made the decision to get it already. Unless it was an impulse buy, I'd stick with it. Seems like the Evo is doing stuff your Hero couldn't handle. The Evo's performance isn't going to degrade over time; it will always do what it's currently doing for you. What changes is what newer devices can do. Assuming nothing revolutionary comes out, the likely progression of smartphones is:

1) faster processors
2) higher resolution screens
3) faster data speed (via 4G)

I consider my phone to be snappy for day-to-day use. Screen navigation, opening apps, checking email, web surfing, etc is just fine. A faster processor isn't really going to speed things up much more (what's faster than near instantaneous?). Where it will make a difference is video processing, 3D rendering, etc. Is that something you must have within a year?

A higher resolution screen is purely an aesthetic improvement. Nice to have, but not really necessary. The Evo's pixel density is already really good.

Sprint's talking about rolling out LTE alongside WiMax. LTE's advantage is that it covers a much larger area per tower. It means 4G coverage is going to expand quickly. I don't believe the Evo can be made to use LTE, as part of the requirement of LTE is a SIM card. So... you may not have access to the LTE network. But the infrastructure is not mature, so don't expect perfect service/coverage even if you did have an LTE phone. This is definitely something I could wait 2 years for. At home and work, I have my Evo connected via WiFi, which happens to be faster than any existing 4G.

So... considering you're very happy with the Evo, I say keep it. You won't be missing that much in the meantime.

Reactions: DrCaleb
Upvote 0
^^^ Novo...
that is good response...

but... i think you have 1 info wrong...
wimax covers more area per tower, but has bad penetration.
lte is the opposite.

that is what i have read....

Nope. The reason WiMax has crappy penetration is because higher frequency waves have less energy, and therefore the wave gets dissipated more quickly as it travels through the air, wood, brick, concrete, steel, etc. Think of it like a whiffleball vs. a baseball. Which is going to travel farther? The one with more momentum (kinetic energy). A baseball is going to penetrate a window, while a whiffleball is not :) Even air slows down a whiffleball. It's the perfect analogy.

Lower frequency waves like LTE have much higher energy and is less stoppable by the media it travels through.

The advantage of WiMax is that the signal can hold more data simply because the frequency is higher. That means more people can use the signal before it begins to degrade. So the real tradeoff is penetration vs bandwidth, not penetration vs. distance.

Upvote 0
Won't be that much better because today's content doesn't require that much firepower.

It will be a lot better. Hopefully the next generation phones will have enough horsepower to smooth out the rough edges in the Android UI.

I think the EVO is a good phone, but its getting long in tooth. You could always keep the EVO and sell it when the next phone comes out. Then convince Sprint to re-up your contract and set you up on the new phone at renewal price...(they usually do this because it helps their sales volume).

Upvote 0
I upgrade my Hero to an EVO at the end of last year. If I were in your shoes and had an opportunity to return it and wait a few months for the next generation of phones, I would. 22 months is a LONG time when considering the rapid pace of development in the Android world. Sprint generally does their big releases in May/June so you wouldn't have to wait long.
While the Hero is slow, flashing a barebones AOSP ROM like CM7 and then keeping things simple without many apps, you can make it last another few months.

Upvote 0
If the phone does what you need it to do now then keep it. For the money and features the Evo is the way to go IMO. If you are in NEED of the latest and greatest then you will always be shelling out money. Keep the Evo if you can do what you need to with it right now. Later when you are out of contract I am sure that something much better may be out and you can decide all over again. The difference is that you will have had all that time to get used to owning an Evo and perhaps even find things out that you did not know before.
My two cents...:)

Upvote 0
Sure I'd love a dual core, 3D color, dual display, with a discrete GPU, 32 GB SSD for memory, with a built-in 1080P projector, but all I'd do with it is play Angry Birds while on the crapper at work.

Lol, spot on IMO. I've actually had the motion-sensing light in my office bathroom click off on me on account of a particularly good Angry Birds session.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones