1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root evo 4g issue

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by envy86, Nov 5, 2011.

1. envy86

envy86 Lurker
    None

Nov 5, 2011
    I tried everything I've read and no luck. My phone was rooted through unrevoked and had a cynagen mod 7. Unfortunatly I couldn't change the meid to activated my phone. So after a day I figured out I needed to put a stock Rom on to activate the phone. Well I got the phone activated. Then decided to re root my evo. Come to find out its still "s-off". So after being told to put on a recovery and use the screen with the exclamation point to load the renamed file and still nothing please help me

Advertisement

2. Ember

Ember Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 22, 2011
    I am only 15.
    USA
    Put this file on your SD Card, and rename it to PC36IMG, (DO NOT UNZIP) then while your device is powered off, hold in "Volume Down" and "Power" buttons to enter fastboot mode. Then Fastboot should detect the PC36IMG and follow the on-screen instructions to turn S-ON.

Rxpert83 likes this.
  3. envy86

envy86 Lurker
    None

Nov 5, 2011
    What I'm actually trying to accomplish is getting cyanogen back on here

4. envy86

envy86 Lurker
    None

Nov 5, 2011
    So am I still rooted and just having issues installing a rom or.........

5. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!
    i moved you to the rooting section.

what recovery do you have? what are the issues you are having? what rom are you trying to flash?

Rxpert83 likes this.
  6. ndh777

ndh777 Android Expert
    None

Do you still have the Cyanogen .zip file? If not, click under this post to my signature to find some ROMs for the phone from XDA. Once you've clicked the link in my signature, you will be taken to an XDA page that looks like a Wikipedia page. Cycle towards the middle of the page to find where the CM7 ROM is and begin your download.

Once you have downloaded the .zip to your computer, you will now need to move it to your phone's SD card. You can also download the .zip file directly to your phone and it will be put on the SD card.

Make absolute sure to put this .zip file onto the ROOT of your SD card. By "root" I mean the first place you will start when you open your SD card on your computer. Do not unzip this file either. Just put the .zip file on your SD card as it was when you downloaded it.

Once the .zip file is on your SD card, turn off your phone. Now, turn on the phone by using the "down volume switch" on the right side of the Evo and at the same time, hold down the power button. Once this is done, you will be at your HBOOT screen. At the very top of the screen, it should say "S-OFF" meaning that you can flash a ROM like Cyanogen to your phone. If it says "S-ON", you will NOT be able to flash this ROM.

If it says "S-OFF", use your volume button to scroll down to "Recovery". Your phone will reboot and after about 30 seconds you will be at your Recovery screen. Scroll to "Wipe" and wipe everything from your phone but do NOT wipe anything from the SD card. Scroll around through this menu to find where to "Install .zip from SD card". Depending on which Recovery you have (either Amon-Ra or ClockWorkMod), the menus will be a bit different. Once you have done this, search your SD card for the .zip file for Cyanogen ROM. Let it install and once it is done, reboot your phone.

It will take a few minutes so give it about 15-30 minutes to fully install. Once it is installed and it comes to the home screen where you can unlock the phone, let it sit for about 10 minutes extra just to let it adjust and it should work much better.

Now you should have Cyanogen ROM back on your phone!

If you need any more help, feel free to ask here or back on the forums or check in the "Rooting for Dummies" section of the Evo forum and read up on how to flash ROMs and do all sorts of other fun stuff.

I hope that I have been a help. Feel free to inbox me if you need further help or to ask here and welcome to our forums! I hope you enjoy your stay and feel as welcome as I did when I first came here :)

Rxpert83 likes this.
  7. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Aug 30, 2011
    Male
    Graduate Student
    MN
    Looks like ndh et al have this covered.

You should however have just had to flash a sense-based ROM to activate your phone. That doesn't help you now but for anyone else that finds this thread down the road....

ndh777 likes this.
Tags: