• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

evo 4g or nexus one???

Corbinho

May 7, 2010
so i've been doing a lot of research lately about these two phones and im out of my contract with at&t :D so i can switch to whatever new service. so, from anyones experience with both phones, which one do you like more, i like the form factor on the nexus one but i like the front facing cam on the evo and the 8mp cam and the eventual 4g service, but i dont like what i hear about battery and sense.

i usually use my phone for texting and calling, but occasionally do web browsing, email and facebook, so if anyone has any suggestions of which one to get, it would be much appreciated, cause i really want both of these phones but ofcourse i can only get one :( . thanks

so i've been doing a lot of research lately about these two phones and im out of my contract with at&t :D so i can switch to whatever new service. so, from anyones experience with both phones, which one do you like more, i like the form factor on the nexus one but i like the front facing cam on the evo and the 8mp cam and the eventual 4g service, but i dont like what i hear about battery and sense.

i usually use my phone for texting and calling, but occasionally do web browsing, email and facebook, so if anyone has any suggestions of which one to get, it would be much appreciated, cause i really want both of these phones but ofcourse i can only get one :( . thanks

Check the coverage for your area with both carriers before you do anything, I'm sure you already know what you're getting with AT&T. Then it comes down to $, are you fine with dropping $527 + tax for a phone you've never held, or is one for $199 you can return an easier pill to swallow?

They are both good phones, the N1 will get updates faster but the EVO will have WAAAAAAAAY more 3rd party accessories.

Upvote 0
Check the coverage for your area with both carriers before you do anything, I'm sure you already know what you're getting with AT&T. Then it comes down to $, are you fine with dropping $527 + tax for a phone you've never held, or is one for $199 you can return an easier pill to swallow?

They are both good phones, the N1 will get updates faster but the EVO will have WAAAAAAAAY more 3rd party accessories.

i was thinking of getting the t-mobile n1 for 179$ but that is true, i never held it which kind of makes it a blind purchase....it's all such a difficult decision, i just wish the n1 had an 8mp cam and front facing cam....ill be sure to check out the coverage first thing, thanks

does anyone know if you can video chat on the n1 with qik? even though you wouldnt see the other person at all times when they see you

Upvote 0
i was thinking of getting the t-mobile n1 for 179$ but that is true, i never held it which kind of makes it a blind purchase....it's all such a difficult decision, i just wish the n1 had an 8mp cam and front facing cam....ill be sure to check out the coverage first thing, thanks

does anyone know if you can video chat on the n1 with qik? even though you wouldnt see the other person at all times when they see you

If you're going with T-Mobile then I would day go with the EVO IF you have good Sprint coverage in your area.

Reactions: Corbinho
Upvote 0
The neat part about the Nexus One is that its already set to use t-mobile's 4G - HSPDA+. I haven't seen any real download speed tests, but supposedly its pretty quick. No 10 dollar fee or other bullshit. FWIW, my EVO 4G is usually slower than 3G unless I have an excellent connection. Sprint 4G isn't really here yet, at least with this phone. Clear users get better speeds but they also get better reception because of superior 4G chip and antenna.

I mean, I should NEVER be in a situation where I need to turn off 4G to get fast speeds. Can't they code these things so that if 4G is marginal to just switch to 3G. This is also a big problem with the Sprint Overdrive. Suddenly you're on dial-up speeds on 4G, but if you switch to 3G, you're getting 500k or more.

Personally, I think its a toss-up right now. I have the EVO and cringe at what my monthly bill will be, but I did root it to get wifi tethering and I hope that Sprint can resolve the 4G issues soon. The N1 on the other hand is solid right now, but lots of people complain about T-mobile coverage in my city, so perhaps I'm best off with the EVO.

Upvote 0
the n1 has multi touch issues. when you put 2 fingers on the diagonals of the screen then switch them to the opposite diagonals, the phone inverts your touch registers you as touching the opposite diagonals as you really are. heres the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OscGUON6mCs

also dont judge the evo based on 4g. its a great 3g phone until 4g is widespread.

and sprint is way cheaper than verizon even with the 10$ fee. plus sprint gives out student/work deals like hot cakes. verizon on the other hand wont give budge an f'n nickel. i switched from verizon to sprint to get the evo, very happy with it.

both phones are great and both have their quirks so either way your good...but i have to say the 4.3" screen on the evo is so nice and you get used to it fast, doesn't even feel big to me anymore.

Upvote 0
The neat part about the Nexus One is that its already set to use t-mobile's 4G - HSPDA+. I haven't seen any real download speed tests, but supposedly its pretty quick. No 10 dollar fee or other bullshit. FWIW, my EVO 4G is usually slower than 3G unless I have an excellent connection. Sprint 4G isn't really here yet, at least with this phone. Clear users get better speeds but they also get better reception because of superior 4G chip and antenna.

I mean, I should NEVER be in a situation where I need to turn off 4G to get fast speeds. Can't they code these things so that if 4G is marginal to just switch to 3G. This is also a big problem with the Sprint Overdrive. Suddenly you're on dial-up speeds on 4G, but if you switch to 3G, you're getting 500k or more.

Personally, I think its a toss-up right now. I have the EVO and cringe at what my monthly bill will be, but I did root it to get wifi tethering and I hope that Sprint can resolve the 4G issues soon. The N1 on the other hand is solid right now, but lots of people complain about T-mobile coverage in my city, so perhaps I'm best off with the EVO.

The t-mobile 3g capable Nexus one is set up for 7.2mbps HSDPA+, not their new 21mbps rollout.

Upvote 0

thanks for the info, great stuff

Upvote 0
EVO until all the new phones come out. If you're getting it for $199. Even if you break the EVO contract it will only cost you another $200 still < Nexus.

i was thinking of getting the t-mobile n1 for 179...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

To the OP....I would go for the Nexus if you are going to keep the phone stock. The Nexus will have unadulterated Android and have OS updates sooner.

But if you are willing to root, then all that is moot....;)

Upvote 0
The t-mobile 3g capable Nexus one is set up for 7.2mbps HSDPA+, not their new 21mbps rollout.
7mbps is much faster than any Sprint 4G I've been able to get on this phone. Heck, 90% of the time the 4G speeds I have with this thing are around or slower than the level of AT&T 3G speeds! Nothing is more annoying than having 2 or 3 4G bars and getting 300-400kbps download speeds.

As far as price goes, I believe t-mobile is the cheapest for smartphones right now.

Upvote 0

7mbps is much faster than any Sprint 4G I've been able to get on this phone. Heck, 90% of the time the 4G speeds I have with this thing are around the level of AT&T 3G speeds! Nothing is more annoying than having 2 or 3 4G bars and getting 300-400kbps download speeds.

As far as price goes, I believe t-mobile is the cheapest for smartphones right now.

Sound like you've had bad luck with 4G. I normally get 700-1200Kbps on 3G, so I don't know what's wrong with your service. As for price, Sprint is definitely the cheapest, and they have much better coverage than T-Mo.
-------------
Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Tapatalk Pro.

Upvote 0
Doesnt the Nexus on TMobile have a different plan than regular tmobile? I think i remember reading that they dont give you as many minutes or something like that.

The problem with committing to the Nexus one is you probably cant find one to use before you buy it. I personally love Sense UI. I think not having sense ui would make my phone feel a little to vanilla. Now some love vanilla android. I dont. From the dialer to the SMS apps i just think sense is so much nicer. Also one huge difference is the screen size. After using this screen 4.3 i just dont want anything else. I was holding the iphone and incredible the other day and they just both felt so small now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones