• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Evo 4G or Nexus S 4G?

GB isn't available officially to EVO users as of now. However, this will change shortly!

Also, the hold up isn't at Sprint. There's a couple of trivial issues with the Integration Test Process on the EVO which should be resolved by early-mid next week. I believe the update should be pushed, but some QA people differ..

Basically, the OTA is ready at Sprint's end.

As for Nexus or Evo. I haven't played with Nexus, so can't comment on that. I'm mostly involved with the HTC side ;)

Riiiiight. We have been hearing Sprint put the slow update blame elsewhere since the Hero and now the Evo. Thats what? Almost 2 whole years now? Bottom line is by the time they finally get around to upgrading their phones, that version of Android is old news and the next major release is either out or very close to it. Like I said, GB is 6 months old and its ridiculous that Sprint takes so long to update their phones. Those of us who are sick and tired of it now have the choice to get a Nexus and not worry about it anymore and thats what we choose.

Upvote 0
I understand the frustration - but be a little fair.

For whatever reason, only two phones besides the Nexus pair have gotten an official Gingerbread update - and those two are HTCs in Europe.

So far as I recall, the Evo (last update in December) has had more updates (7) than the Hero (6) - so it's not like the phone's been forgotten.

Point taken and all the carriers are very slow to upgrade, so I know its not just Sprint. Anyways, glad I dont have to deal with it anymore

Upvote 0
Originally Posted by EarlyMon
I understand the frustration - but be a little fair.

For whatever reason, only two phones besides the Nexus pair have gotten an official Gingerbread update - and those two are HTCs in Europe.

So far as I recall, the Evo (last update in December) has had more updates (7) than the Hero (6) - so it's not like the phone's been forgotten.
Most of those counted updates were fixes and not increase in Software updates. Hero only went from 2.0 to 2.1. Evo went from 2.1 to 2.2. Possibly 2.3 next. Not sure where the other counted ones came from.

Plus you have to think about this, these manufacturers come with new phones not with the latest or with the latest update and still have so many other phones that are capable of being updated but either don't or do. Makes it even worse when the newest phone doesn't come with the latest update and they have to work on that then the others that are actually only a year old. They need a better method. Simply there should be a Nexus line on every carrier beside the phones with manufacturer UIs.

Nexus S is not dual but so what. Runs smoothly on a daily basis. A phone is not outdated until the hardware can no longer handle the numerous updates. Until a to advanced overhaul is made for the Nexus line, the Nexus family will be just fine. You have to know something new will be introduced to the world tomorrow most likely. Does that mean the thing that was introduced last week is old? No. As soon as you hop on the newest thing it'll be something better in less then a year. Personally everybody knows what they want. If it makes you satisfied and is what you want in a phone then go by that.

Upvote 0
Nexus S is not dual but so what. Runs smoothly on a daily basis. A phone is not outdated until the hardware can no longer handle the numerous updates. Until a to advanced overhaul is made for the Nexus line, the Nexus family will be just fine. You have to know something new will be introduced to the world tomorrow most likely. Does that mean the thing that was introduced last week is old? No. As soon as you hop on the newest thing it'll be something better in less then a year. Personally everybody knows what they want. If it makes you satisfied and is what you want in a phone then go by that.
[/I]

Exactly. I ran the Nexus from my Evo yesterday on 4G and it was faster than my Evo for sure. Even graphics heavy sites loaded in seconds. The people who got them early are all commenting n how fast it is as well. Do people REALLY think Google is going to write Android updates their own phone cant handle? :rolleyes: I am sure they will come out with a dual core Nexus when they think its time for one. I think they should know how Android runs on their own phones better than pretty much anyone on this forum.

Upvote 0
Do people REALLY think Google is going to write Android updates their own phone cant handle? :rolleyes:

I dunno. Have you heard anyone say that?

I am sure they will come out with a dual core Nexus when they think its time for one.

No doubt it's already under design.

I think they should know how Android runs on their own phones better than pretty much anyone on this forum.

Yeah. Ok.

Enjoy your Nexus! :)

Reactions: FocusFreak
Upvote 0
Well, most the people drooling over the specs of the 3D swear the Nexus is running "old" and "outdated" hardware that isnt going to keep up for some reason. Look thru the threads here.

Yeah - come on. Some people will beeyotch if you hang them with a new rope. Read: there are already people whining that the tech of the 3D and even the SGS2 are all so yesterday it's not funny.

It _IS_ logical to simply assume, realistically, that each of the superphones of 2010 will hit some wall someday and be no longer feasibly upgradeable.

The same will hold true of the phones made in 2011, 2012, 2013 - see where I'm going here?

If my needs or preferences don't change for the next several years, and the hardware lasts, my Evo will be as up-to-date as it needs to be. It just all comes down to personal needs and preferences.

See, your blood pressure will be lower if you care less about those comments.

Truth is - all of the single-cores are outdated by a certain point of view. By that same point of view, the Tegra-2 that everyone drolled over just a few months ago is now outdated by the asynchronous clocking of the Snapdragon 8660 - and that's already outdated by the 22 nm quad-cores already being laid out by Qualcomm and Samsung - see where I'm going there, too?

And what's not to droll over the 3D?

But trying to prove anything against it with a Nexus S is really like trying to argue that a luxury Eurosedan is not as good a fast roadster.

In other words, the arguments are orthogonal, and this is Android - where choice is good.

Best choose what you like, be a supporter of it, and let others do likewise with what they like.

As long as it's all Android, we all win.

My motto - when someone makes the perfect phone, we'll all buy that same model.

Upvote 0
Neither for me. I'll keep my evo until my contract is up (lost my annual renewal because I was on someone else's account for 5 years before I got my own), then if coverage isn't better, I'm moving to verizon. Sprint lost way too many contacts for 3rd party cell towers. not having gps data coverage when driving in the middle of no where is a killer. I have family in the mountains in va and have to take a lot of back roads both traveling to and from, and to go anywhere while I am visiting.

That and I refuse to use att, and now t-mobile is gone... Also there is no 4g in my state and no plans for future 4g either.

Upvote 0
GB isn't available officially to EVO users as of now. However, this will change shortly!

Also, the hold up isn't at Sprint. There's a couple of trivial issues with the Integration Test Process on the EVO which should be resolved by early-mid next week. I believe the update should be pushed, but some QA people differ..

Basically, the OTA is ready at Sprint's end.

As for Nexus or Evo. I haven't played with Nexus, so can't comment on that. I'm mostly involved with the HTC side ;)

Does the Gingerbread update have Sense 2?

Upvote 0
Personal experience has been extremely positive with rooting. I think the majority of problems are self induced user errors in the rooting process. I have had far fewer issues since rooting than when I was running the stock ROM.

As far as "The Cloud" goes, you can keep it. I will find a phone that has onboard/sd storage or I will dust off my Evo 4G.

agree with the root part. I've had nothing but great experience since rooting. If people are constantly having problems then they are doing something wrong, it's that simple.

I played with the nexus s today and ummmmmm I was not impressed at all. Just my opinion, but one of the things that brought me to android from Iphone was HTC sense. I think sense has made my phone's experience so great! I think it's brilliant! and now that I flash Virus B3 and i've tasted a little of the new sense it makes me want the Evo 3D even more! HTC sense is so brilliant! the little things it does is so great and makes the phone so much better! Battery life is not an issue. I have a charger at home, at work, and in the car (which i never use) and I have two extended batteries that cost me $20 that i can use at will if i ever want to go 2 days without charging my phone.

HTC EVO 3d here i come!!!

Upvote 0
agree with the root part. I've had nothing but great experience since rooting. If people are constantly having problems then they are doing something wrong, it's that simple.

I played with the nexus s today and ummmmmm I was not impressed at all. Just my opinion, but one of the things that brought me to android from Iphone was HTC sense. I think sense has made my phone's experience so great! I think it's brilliant! and now that I flash Virus B3 and i've tasted a little of the new sense it makes me want the Evo 3D even more! HTC sense is so brilliant! the little things it does is so great and makes the phone so much better! Battery life is not an issue. I have a charger at home, at work, and in the car (which i never use) and I have two extended batteries that cost me $20 that i can use at will if i ever want to go 2 days without charging my phone.

HTC EVO 3d here i come!!!

Same here...nothing really major struck me as awesome.....and the whole whatchamacallit you have to go through to turn off 4g was a bit silly. They didn't have time to show me but they claimed it had to be turned off in diag mode...there is no widget..it's just always on ..seems silly (or is it)

Upvote 0
Same here...nothing really major struck me as awesome.....and the whole whatchamacallit you have to go through to turn off 4g was a bit silly. They didn't have time to show me but they claimed it had to be turned off in diag mode...there is no widget..it's just always on ..seems silly (or is it)

Yes, taking 3 seconds to push menu>settings>wireless and turning 4G on or off is such a huge pain. I mean whats next? pushing more buttons to get on my phones browser? Sorry, its too hard for me. I need an app for that!

Upvote 0
Yes, taking 3 seconds to push menu>settings>wireless and turning 4G on or off is such a huge pain. I mean whats next? pushing more buttons to get on my phones browser? Sorry, its too hard for me. I need an app for that!

Yes... why should I have to push buttons?? I expect my phone to just KNOW what I want to do. Well fret no more. Coming soon: Spock... Mindmeld. The ultimate predictive application. Your phone knows what you want to do almost before you do! You don't have to touch a thing!

Haha my screen would be going crazy because my mind goes 100 mph. ;)

Upvote 0
They didn't have time to show me but they claimed it had to be turned off in diag mode...there is no widget..it's just always on ..seems silly (or is it)

Well, as we've learned through these ever so polite replies, it's evidently easier than entering diagnostics mode.

No doubt someone will make a NS4G compatible widget for it, on the order of Power Control Plus, for those who might care for a shortcut for that.

Reactions: Mr. Ed
Upvote 0

umm no thanks. If i wanted to push that many buttons to do something I'd get an iphone. That was something I hated on my iphone. the fact i'd have to hit my home button, go to settings, go to general, go to wireless, then turn off or on my wifi.

On my android i simply bring down the notifiction tab and uncheck it. It's that simple and takes one second and doesn't interrupt anything I'm doing.

Upvote 0
I much prefer my Evo / Epic / Captivate over the Nexus S. The lack of microSD on the Nexus S card means potential loss of data if my phone gets bricked, or if something goes wrong while flasing a new ROM. My data is the most valuable part of my phones, and a phone that doesn't allow me to back it up to a removable microSD card is worth far less.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones