1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support EVO 4G Power save question: Manual or App?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by oski, Jan 1, 2012.

1. oski

oski Lurker
    None

Jan 1, 2012
    Hello,

I have the following phone and s/w versions:
    EVO 4G on Sprint, Android v2.3.3, Kernel 2.6.35.10, PRI 2.15_003, PRL 60683

Always on Mobile is enabled, 4G is usually off unless I need it.

The phone is not rooted and I am a little skittish about going that route.

Issue: When I listen to streaming radio through the Sprint network, the connection drops about two minutes after the screen locks. I've found this on XiiaLive Lite and Winamp. When I am on Wifi, this does not happen and streams play fine.

When I uninstalled Juice Defender Free edition, the problem seems to go away: ie. streams play continuously whether on the Sprint network or on WiFi. I think JD must be cutting the data connection to save power even though Always on Mobile is checked. I can't set program-specific accesses with the Free edition and there aren't any overrides within the media players themselves.

Although I haven't done a full study, battery power appears to be draining faster without JD than with it.

Question: Is a paid version of JD the way to go to solve this problem (two flavors of upgrade), is there another battery save app for the EVO 4G, or is there some deeper setting within the EVO 4G that I'm missing?

I've read several threads on power saving but recognize that there are different answers for different phone brands.

Advertisement

2. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog

Jun 20, 2011
    The Infernal Swamp
    This is my take on this issue. You can agree or disagree. Battery apps such as jd use battery to monoitor what is using the battery. I personally haven't saved enough battery life that would warrant the keeping of such a program. I had JD for a bit and really in all I may have gotten an half hour longer battery life. Or I am just getting better signal now

Tags: