• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Evo 4G Reset Itself, Apps No Longer Open

marissacre

Lurker
Sep 20, 2011
I have a rooted Evo 4G running Warm Two Point Two for about a year. I connected my phone to the charger last night and went to bed. When I woke up and tried to check my email, the phone was on the welcome tutorial. I went through the tutorial and tried to check my email again. My Gmail account wasn't there and the Gmail app prompted me to set up my account.

I tried rebooting twice. I noticed that upon reboot, my custom background is there but as soon as the reboot completes several apps give me an error message saying they stopped unexpectedly. After this mysterious reboot, my phone even had the old Android Market, complete with the old shopping bag icon and all. Upon opening it, I was prompted to upgrade to Google Play.

I checked in the settings and it recognizes my SD card. However, several apps that are on my SD card are showing up on the phone with the droid icon and I get a message saying they're no longer installed on my phone.

Can anyone tell me what happened?

EDIT: I removed my SD card and reinserted it. This stopped the multiple app failures upon startup. However, many settings were still on the factory default (haptic feedback on, touch input instead of Swype, etc) that I had changed previously.

Edit 2:I had to restart my phone after the app store froze while uninstalling something. My phone was again reset. Apps stored on my SD card were showing as no longer on my phone, apps immediately failed when opened, etc. Could my SD card be corrupt?

I have a rooted Evo 4G running Warm Two Point Two for about a year. I connected my phone to the charger last night and went to bed. When I woke up and tried to check my email, the phone was on the welcome tutorial. I went through the tutorial and tried to check my email again. My Gmail account wasn't there and the Gmail app prompted me to set up my account.

I tried rebooting twice. I noticed that upon reboot, my custom background is there but as soon as the reboot completes several apps give me an error message saying they stopped unexpectedly. After this mysterious reboot, my phone even had the old Android Market, complete with the old shopping bag icon and all. Upon opening it, I was prompted to upgrade to Google Play.

I checked in the settings and it recognizes my SD card. However, several apps that are on my SD card are showing up on the phone with the droid icon and I get a message saying they're no longer installed on my phone.

Can anyone tell me what happened?

Did you leave the phone on while it was charging? it is sounding like to me that you got an update. You should check your settings>about>software and post the build number.

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
This is confusing. Even when something like A2SD doesn't stick on a reboot, you'll still have your Google account info saved since it's not stored in the EXT partition. Maybe a virus of some sort got on the phone? That's the only thing that would make any sense to me. In any event, with all the security updates that HTC has released since Warm came out, I would say it is time to get you on a new ROM anyway. MikG or Evo Classic Supermagic would be my top two choices.

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
In any event, with all the security updates that HTC has released since Warm came out, I would say it is time to get you on a new ROM anyway. MikG or Evo Classic Supermagic would be my top two choices.

I agree, get yourself onto an updated Rom.

Also, there were a2sd issues with decks reloaded (which has been fixed now) where I would have to sign back into Google each time I rebooted the device, so im not throwing it out as a possibility. It's easy enough to check and fix.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones