• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root EVO 4G, Rooted, System Update...

tropez

Lurker
Aug 25, 2011
Okay gang.

So I have my EVO 4G. Some time ago I rooted it using unrevoked. Recently I've seen a message on my phone about the 4.24.651.1 update. I figured I should research this before applying it since I'm rooted.

That led me here. I've learned a few things...

1. You seem to be able to run AOSP or Sense as my UI. The EVO factory is Sense (older 2.x version though not the fancy 3.x).
2. There seem to be a ton of ROM's for this device, I'm having a hard time deciding which one to run. Leaning towards "[ROM] 08/03/11 | SPRINT LOVERS | 2.3.3 | 4.24.651.1 | Radio/Wimax/PRI All-In-One" as it seems to be as close to factory as I can get, which is nice.

Questions:

1. Should I leave my factory kernel in place? If not, why?
2. Why would someone go AOSP vs Sense?
3. I'm a "factory" type person and usually the first thing I do when I get a new PC is to reload the OS to get everything back to factory without bloatware, Is it save to assume AOSP does this?
4. Are the Radio/WiMax/PRI all the same regardless of kernel/ROM you use? I'm having a hard time understanding those items.

That's all for now, thanks!

Okay gang.

So I have my EVO 4G. Some time ago I rooted it using unrevoked. Recently I've seen a message on my phone about the 4.24.651.1 update. I figured I should research this before applying it since I'm rooted.

1. You seem to be able to run AOSP or Sense as my UI. The EVO factory is Sense (older 2.x version though not the fancy 3.x).
2. There seem to be a ton of ROM's for this device, I'm having a hard time deciding which one to run. Leaning towards "[ROM] 08/03/11 | SPRINT LOVERS | 2.3.3 | 4.24.651.1 | Radio/Wimax/PRI All-In-One" as it seems to be as close to factory as I can get, which is nice.

Questions:

3. I'm a "factory" type person and usually the first thing I do when I get a new PC is to reload the OS to get everything back to factory without bloatware, Is it save to assume AOSP does this?
4. Are the Radio/WiMax/PRI all the same regardless of kernel/ROM you use? I'm having a hard time understanding those items.

If you want the stock rom that came with the 4.24 update, then you can go here and download the odex version and flash that. It is stock other than the Superuser app and Busybox to allow for root apps the be used.

1: Each rom you flash has its own kernel. Most have the stock kernel for the base they are built on.

2 & 3: AOSP is pure Android without the Sense overlay that HTC includes. AOSP appeals to alot of people, but with the new Sense 2.1 and 3.0 custom roms(Sense 2.1 and 3.0 will not officially be released to the Evo) there are alot that have switched to them.

4: Radios get updated usually with a new OTA. If you are not having signal issues, I would say you should not have to update them if you do not want to.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Upvote 0
Okay gang.

Questions:

first i would not accept the update. IT COULD SERIOUSLY BRICK YOUR PHONE OR EVEN UNROOT YOU. i would try mikg2.5. it is stock but has sense 2.1 and some sense 3.0 built in. it is way faster then the sprint lover's rom.

1.i would try different kernels because they can give you better battery life and you can over and underclock your phone.
2.aosp (android open source project) is pure android with no sense added to it. you will need to get a launcher like launcher pro or adw to use in place of the sense launcher. some people love it or hate it. i personally like both sense and aosp. aosp roms do need a little more tweeking then with sense roms.
3.sort of it is just pure android. nothing added like sense.
4.radio updates are just that. they might add more towers and such so that reception is better. it is not necessary to update them. if you do update your radios then make sure that you have a nandroid backup with your wimax keys saved somewhere safe like on your computer. you could loose your wimax keys when flashing radios. also make sure that you have plenty of battery before flashing them because it will take a long time to flash them. and what ever you do DO NOT PULL THE BATTERY OUT WHEN IT IS IN THE PROCESS OF INSTALLING YOUR RADIOS UNLESS YOU WANT A BRICK OF A PHONE. i would recommend also that you flash the radio combo's rather then on by one.

hope that helps

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones