1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

EVO 4g UPDATES

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by lgordo35, Dec 30, 2011.

1. lgordo35

lgordo35 Lurker

Hi am new to these kid of sites. I have rooted my phone but still have stock ROM. Any suggestions out there on which ROM is the best? Also my phone keeps telling me that I have a stock update.When I try to update it, the phone freezes. Is this common? I needs ROM Intall for dummies. THANKS!!
    Lukeagordon@gmail.com

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Welcome to the forums!

I've moved your thread over here to the Evo 4G All Things Root area where you'll get the right advice.

I personally have always liked the stock rooted rom, but others here will give some better recommendations.

One thing though - now that you're rooted, do NOT take over the air updates, get everything by flashing it yourself instead. Trying to mix OTA and rooted updates often ends in disastrous results.

3. speedygonzo

speedygonzo Member

And usually the devs will have a rooted stock from before the official release of the ota.
    Just for future reference, if you do accept an ota update, it could break your root, unroot you, and close the expliot used to gain root and have to wait a while for the devs to find a new exploit.

argedion likes this.
  4. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!
    DO NOT ACCEPT AN OTA WHILE YOU ARE ROOTED. it could seriously brick your phone, unroot your phone or put your phone in a weird state. like earlymon and speedy said there will always be a stock rooted rom of the actual update. all you will need to do is flash a rom and you are updated.

and since you are new here, i would recommend that you read the http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...ooting-dummies-guide-gingerbread-edition.html. just skip the rooting section. go to the after rooting section. there is a ton of info there that you should know.

i really like mikg3.0. it is sense 2.1 with a little sense 3.0 built in. it is also very stock but also optimized to be very fast. go to the rom/kernels/themes stick and to the rom/kernel link. mikg is under the gingerbread 2.3.3+sense 2.1 section.

argedion and dustwun77 like this.
  5. Since you're a newbie, I would suggest MikG 3.0

MikG is fan frigging tastic and is great for n00bs and vets. There are some disadvantages to sticking with sense roms though.

HDMI mirroring won't work.
    Google Talk video chat is all buggered up.

For more advanced, you should go with Cyanogenmod 7.1

You'll also want to get the qualcomm GPS drivers and flash that (for epicly winsauce gps accuracy).

Before you do anything, if you aren't using Amon Ra recovery yet, you should do that first. Look in the rooting for dummies guide sticky in this forum for links and useful info.

ocnbrze likes this.

HTC EVO 4G Forum

The HTC EVO 4G release date was June 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

June 2010
Release Date
Reviews