• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Evo 4G vs Epic 4G

Which phone would you choose?

• Epic 4G

Votes: 203 21.1%
  • Evo 4G

Votes: 758 78.9%

• Total voters
SLICK1020: Will your friends take and EPIC 4G or is it like my analogy in another thread? The EVO is like your mom buying you a new Transformer that you asked for. The EPIC 4G is like your mom coming home with a Gobot instead of a Transformer.

R1_Rydah: I fwded the Epic email from sprint to all of them, and I described it as a Evo with a keyboard... and none of them bit, they are all fixated on the Evo... So its exactly like the scenario you described! http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/152575-sprint-evo-first-advertising.html

So tell me again that people who want an EVO will just purchase an EPIC again. He said he has 4 friends waiting on the EVO.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
You guys act like the Evo never had any problems, lol at launch the Evo's SD card were failing left and right, then they submitted a ota patch which bricked hundreds of phones, then there was light leakage and screen seperation issues from bad quality control, then they found out the Evo was crippled, then they were running out of screens so they started buying from other sources, now the Evo is a ghost cause no store has one. You can bash the Epic all you want but a simple GPS problem doesn't warrant you to call the phone bad, especially when compared to the Crippled 4G!

Upvote 0
You guys act like the Evo never had any problems, lol at launch the Evo's SD card were failing left and right, then they submitted a ota patch which bricked hundreds of phones, then there was light leakage and screen seperation issues from bad quality control, then they found out the Evo was crippled, then they were running out of screens so they started buying from other sources, now the Evo is a ghost cause no store has one. You can bash the Epic all you want but a simple GPS problem doesn't warrant you to call the phone bad, especially when compared to the Crippled 4G!

Who received phones with a failing SD card? Phone launched on 4 June with an over the air update.

OTA Patch - Bricked people phones who tried to download the file twice and since you are not android savvy you would know if you are rooted and you did the update it could have bricked your phone. Read please...

I'm talking about the GPS which affects all the phone. Screen Seperation and light leakage is not even a big deal. Some phones will have defects but NOT ALL EVOs have those problems.

I just know the EPIC 4G failure is coming.....

Upvote 0
OTA Patch - Bricked people phones who tried to download the file twice and since you are not android savvy you would know if you are rooted and you did the update it could have bricked your phone. Read please...

Wrong. Lots of people got bricked UNrooted.

I'm talking about the GPS which affects all the phone. Screen Seperation and light leakage is not even a big deal. Some phones will have defects but NOT ALL EVOs have those problems.

I just know the EPIC 4G failure is coming.....

All Evo's have shit battery life out of the gate and build quality issues that plagued many.

The Epic's GPS fix will address all of those, unlike any HTC/Sprint fix.

Upvote 0
They've done this for me twice before, only difference was that it was a blackberry instead of an EVO. I don't know why so many people dislike or have issues with the EVO. Don't give me the battery life issue because I can easily get 24hrs out of it, usually more. Don't give me the Sense issue, as any launcher will fix that (and after using LauncherPro, you realize just how good sense is.) Does the EPIC have a kickstand, 8 megapixel camera, and most important IMO: Froyo? Didn't think so, so please let the people who want to keep their EVO (like me) and have not had issues alone.

Upvote 0
Based on the videos of the epic in action on Sprint's website, I'd say the Epic is running at 60+ FPS. Looked damn smooth. I plan to check my sprint store tonight to see if they have a few demo Epics. I'll have my Evo handy to do some side-by-side comparisons.

:nono:

10 quatloos it's below 60.

(ps - no clue, just a friendly side bet.)

Upvote 0
So regarding organic LED displays: sure they have better contrast ratio, but that is because they can produce darker blacks. LCDs can't produce blacker blacks, but they excel at producing bright light.

Anyone who claims that AMOLED does better in direct sunlight does not know what they're talking about. There's only 2 factors determining visibility of the screen in sunlight:

1) raw brightness output of the screen

2) reflectivity of the screen surface

First point: not much can outshine the sun.

Second point: reflectivity can be reduced by coating the glass, but that has nothing to do with the DISPLAY technology under the glass.

Bottom line, screens are hard to read under bright sun, and there's no display technology that is significantly better at conquering the sun.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
The Epic's GPS fix will address all of those, unlike any HTC/Sprint fix.

Compadre, you have a _lot_ of faith in something that hasn't hit the streets yet.

Remember - I was chomping at the bit to get an Epic - but after what little controversy I've seen, it's been enough to make me take a wait and see. I'm not on the waiting list. :(

(We were a two Moment household - wait, three - no wait, four.)

Upvote 0
Compadre, you have a _lot_ of faith in something that hasn't hit the streets yet.

Remember - I was chomping at the bit to get an Epic - but after what little controversy I've seen, it's been enough to make me take a wait and see. I'm not on the waiting list. :(

(We were a two Moment household - wait, three - no wait, four.)

Unless the radio hardware is faulty, I don't foresee a problem.

Upvote 0
Unless the radio hardware is faulty, I don't foresee a problem.

It's a variant and therefore a separate build.

I'm not saying the sky is falling - but neither am as faithful, that's all.

The radio hardware is part of the deviation from other Galaxies - but so is the form factor. While I _hope_ that they get this slider right - I'm strictly in a wait and see mode.

I had an Ocean (Pantech) - a mini-brick but not greatly so compared to a Moment and literally orders of magnitude better in mechanical quality.

I am _hoping_ they get the mechanics right on the Epic.

It's mighty sleek and kinda light to include a slider.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones