• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Evo 4G vs Epic 4G

Which phone would you choose?

• Epic 4G

Votes: 203 21.1%
  • Evo 4G

Votes: 758 78.9%

• Total voters
And the Epic will be a) even more snappier when Froyo hits and b) even snappier still when rooted with a custom ROM and kernel.
The Evo is much snappier with a custom ROM and kernel. I have pretty much the same things to say about the Epic I played with a few days ago. As a former hardware keyboard only guy, I will never buy a phone with one again after having the Evo for the past 3 months.

And I second "The Manual Root Method is Easy" comment.

and some of us are thankful for it ;)
I played with the Epic yesterday...It's nice, but not an EVO, imo.

Upvote 0
And the Epic will be a) even more snappier when Froyo hits and b) even snappier still when rooted with a custom ROM and kernel.

I'm using the new ext4 Voodoo lagfix and it is SUPER fast. No more stalls whatsoever. This might be the fix we're all expecting all along. Hope it becomes easier to install (I lost all my data due to failing 2x) and ported to Epic ;).

Upvote 0
Ouch, so if this happens, how do they deal with repairs? I would be pissed if my phone had an issue, I brought it in, and they replaced it with a cheaper lcd.
I'm sure they will have their way. They're going to crank out 10x the output next year, so I'd wager they'll keep the current supply inhouse until the shortage is done and through other means -- sell less and keep some for replacement.

Upvote 0
I was going to get the Evo, but waited for the Epic and dOnt regret it. I really wanted a physical keyboard but didnt want an inferior phone just for having one. Once I saw the specs, I was won over. Cant beat the SAMOLED, touchwiz blows but I had it gone within the first few hours. playing NES and SNES games is so much better w the keyboard, and sometimes i just like typing with the keyboard. but either way, im just glad im done with the iphone, i havent missed it for even a second

Upvote 0
Just returned my EPIC and got an EVO.

IMHO this is substantially more "mature" feeling and acting device.

Only thing I will miss is the EPIC camera, but I'll live.

As long as I can use it as a phone, have reliable email, GPS that works and a speedy internet, I'm all set.

BTW...that extra .3" screen makes a bigger difference that you'd think when viewing stuff on the internet.

Upvote 0
I played with the Epic yesterday...It's nice, but not an EVO, imo.

Correct, not an EVO, so that means better. :D

You know, no display driver issues, no dust under the screen, no washed out colors....

Now what did we learn here? Both phone have issues, and displaying rabid fanboyism without any kind of logical reasoning behind it just flat out... dumb.

Upvote 0
The Moment received it's first update in less time it took htc to fix it's major battery drain sms issue on the Hero. Just sayin'.

And I think his point is the fanaticism on both sides is pretty much lame. If you can't appreciate both phones having pros and cons then your comments are pretty much lame and carry very little weight.

Reactions: IOWA
Upvote 0
Correct, not an EVO, so that means better. :D

You know, no display driver issues, no dust under the screen, no washed out colors....

What are you, still living in June? I know you have neither phone so your viewpoints are already inherently invalid, but to drag up long discarded issues to make a childish gotcha point ... sad. The Evo community has long moved on. Any Evo poweruser that uses an Epic will see the maturity difference, and it's not small.

Upvote 0
A coworker of mine got an Epic last week, and I spent some time today dolling up Android for him, so I got a good deal of time to play with it.

Advantages: The keyboard is nice, with one negative (below). The screen is great, the colors really pop, and with a dark background, the elements on the screen just look awesome. It's lighter, and you really begin to appreciate that after holding it for a bit.

Disadvantages: With the keyboard open, the phone gets a little wobbly. Slider is a little too loose, hard to press the buttons on the side without starting the sliding motion. The buttons at the bottom of the screen are basically invisible until you activate something on the phone. The buttons are also not very responsive. A bit of lag here and there, more than I've ever noticed with the Evo. Battery life is just as mediocre as the Evo, but that's the price you pay.

The keyboard and screen are enough to make me overlook the irritating buttons though, but I like the cut of my Evo and I'll stick with it. I can see myself going to a phone with a keyboard when upgrade time comes, though -- I didn't really realize how much I missed one until I handled that Epic.

Upvote 0
What are you, still living in June? I know you have neither phone so your viewpoints are already inherently invalid, but to drag up long discarded issues to make a childish gotcha point ... sad. The Evo community has long moved on. Any Evo poweruser that uses an Epic will see the maturity difference, and it's not small.

My point was everyone has their own priorities in a device. What's an issue for one is not necesarily an issue for another.

Like me, updates and pinpoint gps don't phase me at all. For others, this may be a priority.

1.) I haven't used an official update on any of my pda phones since I've had em. I'm not helpless, and I don't have to wait thanks to an awesome development community.

2.)gps. I don't neeed pinpoint gps either. I really don't need gps at all. And for when I do, I have an $800 standalone unit that will smoke the socks of any phone gps and in chicago traffic, that's very important.

And old but remaining issues have no bearing on future purchases? Mind explaaining this to me?

So your saying samsung moment owners don't have to worry about the data lockup because its an old issue?

Or htc hero owners don't have to worry about getting dust under the screen because its an old issue?

Thing is, I used to be a huge fan of htc. I loved all three winmo phones I had with them, and to me, it seems their quality is slipping. I absolutely loved my tp2.

So different people, different priorities. All of these phones have their various quirks, and between the evo and the epic, there is no clear winner. To say otherwise is just pure fanboyism.

Upvote 0
Well, since this is the evo forum I'd expect evo fanboys to hang out here and defend their device and their decision to purchase said device. Nothing wrong with that. But defending your device doesn't mean making up stuff about it either. That's just stupid.

I went in to check out the EPIC and the buttons on the display unit were pretty much unusable... actually the clerk figure out some way to slide his finger across them to get them to respond. He did pull another one out of the box and it was better but that is something I'd make sure I check before I walk out of the store with one.

I'm not a fan of slide out keyboards, I don't have confidence the GPS will get fixed and I don't like the decision they made to make the buttons purely backlit instead of visible on the screen.

Too bad... if sprint had a device like the fascinate w working GPS I'd have one yesterday, beautiful screen and a really nice size. As it stands now I'm leaning toward the EVO.

Upvote 0
certain drs should follow that advice...
But defending your device doesn't mean making up stuff about it either. That's just stupid.

And too bad, if Sprint (heck, htc in general) had an Evo with a slide out keyboard, nicer screen, better processor and was lighter and more rounded, I wouldn't entertain the Epic. And the only HTC with a keyboard is under the Desire moniker and a bit lackluster on the hardware side even if it is sporting a nice keyboard. So there isn't even an HTC option. And some just need a hardware keyboard no matter how you paint the picture of either device.
Too bad... if sprint had a device like the fascinate w working GPS I'd have one yesterday, beautiful screen and a really nice size. As it stands now I'm leaning toward the EVO.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure how much stock I'd put in the quality of a display unit.
I used one that was a week old, and while they were usable in the sense that they are buttons and you can press them, it was a bad design decision to make them practically invisible and hard to press. I guess I'm used to the gentle press required by the Evo's buttons, but I found myself having to press the buttons on the Epic twice to get them to register.

Which is a shame, because otherwise it's a damn fine phone.

Upvote 0
I used one that was a week old, and while they were usable in the sense that they are buttons and you can press them, it was a bad design decision to make them practically invisible and hard to press. I guess I'm used to the gentle press required by the Evo's buttons, but I found myself having to press the buttons on the Epic twice to get them to register.

Which is a shame, because otherwise it's a damn fine phone.

Are you referring to the keyboard keys or the capacitive buttons? If the latter, then yeah, I agree it's a weird decision.

Upvote 0
I actually don't know why they put he hard version of those buttons on the keyboard. If. They were lit up or marked properly below the samsung name my right thumb would have no trouble reaching them. Then the keyboard could hve been mde nicer. Cursor keys shifted over. A little more space between keys and/or keys being a little wider. Backspace key could be in the top right. Smiley key could be the @ symbol. The home row button redundancy just seems like a waste of space.

Upvote 0
you seem to be the only one who says this.

I'm outdoors allday everyday in sunny socal. Anyone who suggests that the EVO is unreadable in direct sunlight in comparison to any other phone is dangerously close to drinking a certain diet softdrink, or at least koolaid, themselves. I do know that I have a dificult time reading it if I am wearing my polarized sunglasses, I assume that is what Dr G is referring to. If the camera lense is polarized then that will make a difference, however I'd think it would have the same effect on the samoled as well.

I wont say the epic is better or worse, since there are enough reports on what the performance of the samoled screen is, but basically the evo is as good or better performer in direct sunlight than any other phone I've sampled.

Upvote 0
11104d1284481094-evo-4g-vs-epic-4g-evoepicsun02.jpg

This was posted by dbpaddler. He has both phones...he knows what he is talking about, and posted evidence to back it up. Evo's screen does not perform better than Epic.

I believe there's another person who also have both phones that can vouch for this. Really, if you want to disprove dpaddler, just post 2 pictures side-by-side with max brightness with Evo/Epic to show Evo is as good/better performer because from the picture above, Epic clearly won.

I hope you don't believe everything Dr G says. He also said Evo had the better GPU than Epic in tests in the past.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones