• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Evo 4G vs Epic 4G

Which phone would you choose?

• Epic 4G

Votes: 203 21.1%
  • Evo 4G

Votes: 758 78.9%

• Total voters
I was faced with this decision just 2 days ago...but after playing with BOTH phones, I chose the HTC EVO.

The main reason was the sliding keyboard on the Samsung Epic. I don't like how easily to slides up...it's almost like the only thing holding the phone together are some springs. Unlike my friends Motorola DROID whose keyboard slides out very firmly and consistently...the Samsung seemed quite sloppy to me.

You can push it out a half inch, and it snaps right back into place. It was quite bouncy in this regard. On the Motorola DROID keyboard, if you slide it out half an inch, it stays right where you leave it. There is no sloppy feel to it either.

Simply holding the phone up to my ear...my thumb presses hard enough to make the slider start to slide out...and by changing the pressure of my grip, it slides back and forth. It didn't feel very solid to me.

The smaller screen of the Epic wasn't a big deal to me, and the few upgrades it has over the EVO are nice. If the slider was as smooth and refined as that of the Motorola, I would have gotten an Epic...and I would already have it as Best Buy sells them for $229 now...and they have plenty of stock.

Upvote 0
I know I will sound like a broken record, but I did go into the Sprint store during my lunch. I will say the Epic was fast. The widgets looked kind of cheesey. It almost felt as if it had no weight. As if it was hollow inside. Yes it did feel kind of cheap compared to My Evo. Is it a nice? Yes, Is it better than Sense? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
And for the record, aero, many were saying the Epic's screen looked better in sunlight as well as posting links to side by side reviews that concurred. Then drg chimed in. And then it's been maybe you and one other person. Not even entertaining dopeboy since he can't even tell the difference in weight between the two phones and just sounds like a troll. And dr vocal just drones on with his supposed facts and not once has offered any sort of proof or backup in any way, shape or form. Just that anyone that disagrees with him is wrong, misinformed, and blah blah blah. I put more faith in your opinions than from a user who just sounds like they're suckling on HTC's nipple.

Look I absolutely agree that SAmoled is generally superior. I also think pre release there were innacurate concerns, because people were confusing old Amoled which was attrocious in sunlight with super amoled, which in great part was developed to deal with that specifically.

What i am saying is that for reading text in sunlight I give a slight edge to Evo. Your use, and for all I know the majority of users here in direct sunlight, maybe more pleasant on Epic.

So for the record I think Epics screen is a massive plus -- against any and every smartphone. The display in fact is compelling.

Upvote 0
Just to throw my 2 cents in, I like the EVO but I admit, the camera and screen of the Epic puts the EVO to shame. Not even close. I'm sticking with my evo because I love the form factor of it, but I wish HTC would at least improve the camera. I talked trash to a fellow co worker about how my phone did HD, we did a comparision of videos (both on his EPIC) and the difference was pretty obvious.

Sorry, I have to retract this statement. It turns out that the lens on my evo had a crack and this was seriously damaging my picture quality. On my replacement phone the photo quality is much better than the EPIC's. Sorry for the misleading info. I was a cracked lens victim and didn't know it.

Upvote 0
Ok, here is the story. I waited for three months to get my Evo, and two weeks ago ...I did. I had a tough time deciding between the Epic and the Evo.... I'm not a fan of the hard keyboards..... but I read everything about the data speed caps on the Epic... so that pushed me to the Evo. Don't get me wrong.... I am loving my Evo, and have not had a single problem with it. Here is where my dilemma begins.

I have read about the upload speed fix that is supposed to come out tomorrow, and this addresses the main reason why I dismissed the Epic. The things that are making me think of the Epic are the supposedly faster processor, better gpu, better camera, and the samoled screen. Now, as I've said, I have been loving the Evo... but I just can't help but wondering......

I did play with the Epic in the store, and it seemed like a very nice phone. If I swap out my Evo for the Epic.... I'm stuck with it like it or not.

What I am looking for here is everyone's opinions, not looking to start a war. I would just like whatever good info and opinions that everyone can give me.

Oh, previous to my Evo I had the Moment... so I have been weary about support... but so far they seem to be doing good. It is also said that the Epic will truly perform when 2.2 hits.

your thoughts and opinions please.

Upvote 0
.... I am loving my Evo, and have not had a single problem with it. Here is where my dilemma begins.

You said it yourself... why take a risk of swaping phones when you "LOVE" the one you have AND you "have not had a single problem with it?"

dont get me wrong.. they're both great phones... but, just remember the old saying.. "dont fix it if it aint broke." :)

Upvote 0
Ok, here is the story. I waited for three months to get my Evo, and two weeks ago ...I did. I had a tough time deciding between the Epic and the Evo.... I'm not a fan of the hard keyboards..... but I read everything about the data speed caps on the Epic... so that pushed me to the Evo. Don't get me wrong.... I am loving my Evo, and have not had a single problem with it. Here is where my dilemma begins.

I have read about the upload speed fix that is supposed to come out tomorrow, and this addresses the main reason why I dismissed the Epic. The things that are making me think of the Epic are the supposedly faster processor, better gpu, better camera, and the samoled screen. Now, as I've said, I have been loving the Evo... but I just can't help but wondering......

I did play with the Epic in the store, and it seemed like a very nice phone. If I swap out my Evo for the Epic.... I'm stuck with it like it or not.

What I am looking for here is everyone's opinions, not looking to start a war. I would just like whatever good info and opinions that everyone can give me.

Oh, previous to my Evo I had the Moment... so I have been weary about support... but so far they seem to be doing good. It is also said that the Epic will truly perform when 2.2 hits.

your thoughts and opinions please.

wait and see..
it did not say it was fixed with this update. it said enhancement.

Upvote 0
Ok, here is the story. I waited for three months to get my Evo, and two weeks ago ...I did. I had a tough time deciding between the Epic and the Evo.... .

It's ultimately a matter of personal preference IMO. I have both the Evo and Epic right now. Currently I have my EPIC on Craigslist to sell. I bought the EVO at launch and have loved it from day one. I bought the EPIC at launch as well and have like it from day one. I'm a self proclaimed phone whore and seem to buy the newest and latest phones to test. So I bought the Epic. I knew I would sell one of the phones evantually.

Each phone has their own positives and negatives. It all depends on your own personal preferences and needs for your phone. What I loved about the Epic was its screen, and photo/video recording quality. The EVO's capturing quality doesnt compare to the Epic. I'm sorry if me saying that pisses people off, but there really is no comparrison. Not to say that the EVO doesnt take good shots for a cell phone. However, the clarity of the pics and videos taken from the EPIC are much cleaner and crisper. And no, its not simply due to the EPIC's screen. Ive taken the same shots in the same conditions with my EVO and EPIC, printed them out and the EPCI is much better.

I'm not a fan of hardware keyboards anymore, but the Epics is nice. Not necessary for me, but nice. Swype on the Epic is amazingly accurate and great, just as it is on my EVO. However, it's easier to swype on the Epic due to the smaller screen, at least for me, but works just as fine on the EVO.

Stock, the EPIC is also alot snappier than the EVO. Again, STOCK. My EVO is just as snappy rooted now in most aspects. My Quadrant scores and 2D FPS are higher on my Rooted Evo than on the Epic. However, 3DFPS are higher on the EPIC...nearly double that of my rooted Evo. 3D games look and run smoother on the EPIC, for me at least.

In the end, the EVO is still my choice, and this is my personal choice based on my personal preferences and needs. The screen difference may not be noticealbe to some, but it is to me. I'm a fan of some of the HTC sense widgets and couldnt do without some of them. I'm also a flashoholic and the development for the EVO is much better at this time. I'm hopful that the Epic will move along, but its not there just yet.

Again, I beleive that it boils down to what YOU need and YOU want in your phone. This is just my opinion based on my preferences.

That said, if anyone is looking for an EPIC and live in the NOVA/DC Area PM me.

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0
im so upset with the battery on my evo that im seriously considering going ot the epic as well. i LOVE my evo but the battery life is a HUGE check mark in the con list of this phone. its stock and no rooted (i dont want to root it). took it off the charger at 8:30 this morning. its now 1:40 and its already down to 50% battery. ive sent all of like 10 messages. 2 emails. and i browsed for 10 mins earlier this morning. does anyone know how the battery life on the Epic is? my girl's droid x has amazing battery life.

anyways sorry i went on a rant about my crappy battery life.

Upvote 0
Yea, I just got my evo yesterday and I'm worried about 2 issues. The earphone speaker and the battery life.

The speaker is just rubbish right out of the box. Crackles and hisses during phone conversations. Doing a bit of research, this seems to be real common. The battery I'm not so sure as I may have used it a lot but being at work I don't think I did so much. Saying that the battery seemed to drain awful fast. The batter I'm assuming can be fixed with buying a bigger one?

So do I play the return game and shoot for a "good" one. Or switch to a phone I really don't care for(epic). From reading the epic forums it seems that phone has it's share of problems also

Upvote 0
i bought an Epic just to test out. sent it back because the two halves weren't solid. there was some wiggle whether the keyboard was out or not. only way to keep it from doing this was to put a case on it and i wanted to rock that thing naked.

i'm waiting to see leaked specs of the Samsung Transform. early reports say it's another Samsung Galaxy S phone headed to Sprint minus the keyboard and possibly minus 4G. i may consider getting it, but the dev support for the Evo is above any other Android device currently. everything gets ported to it.

Upvote 0
If the flimsy feel didnt bother you as well as it only having 2.1, and the upload was the only thing holding you back then why not go back to Epic since that issue will be remedied today. Youre not unhappy with your Evo yet you're not really happy. Try the Epic another week. But I think only you can really decide which is right for you.

Upvote 0
This thread has been accurate until the second-to-last poster resorted to brand war bigotry. Anyone who calls a phone with a faster processor a "downgrade" is illiterate. It sounds less authoritative to say one prefers the Evo to the Epic, but it's also more true and more truthful.

Truth is, unless you worship Samsung or HTC, you're right to feel torn. Both phones are the best Sprint offers but have different advantages.

The Evo offers a full-on polished Android smartphone experience. HTC's hardware/software integration has the depth that Samsung's never will. Epic users like me are waiting for Froyo, but no one seems to be factoring in the obvious: Froyo without Sense will be a different experience. It might not feel nearly as smooth as it does on the Evo.

The Epic is the smartphone equivalent of a knife with twenty blades or a fast but quirky tower. If you need a few of those blades in combination (swype, physical keyboard, SAMOLED, quick processor, 4G), then you might put up with the rougher UI and early adoption quirks.

But nothing you've written makes me think you need switch from the Evo. You don't need the keyboard and you seem to prefer stability over geeky options. No one is in the position to judge what the Epic will become as yet because we haven't seen the extent to which Froyo and updates will improve performance and resolve the phone's main issues. But, again, nothing you've said suggests there's a payoff in the Epic for you.

Every Android phone I've used has chewed desiccated mallard pizzles when it comes to battery life. The one exception so far is the Droid X. If battery life's your main concern, you should switch to Verizon and grab that phone. Otherwise, I say, stick with what you have. The Epic's battery life won't be noticably better and the polish you're already accustomed to won't be there. I'm a studio keyboardist and writer and love the Epic's qwerty and screen. If I weren't, I might well have ended up swyping this reply instead of typing it while savoring the Epic's qwerty's action. For the brief time I had it, I loved the Evo and thought using it was a blast.

Reactions: jroc and IOWA
Upvote 0
Damn dude. this is the second post where you've posted a long-winded response whining about the use of the word "downgrade". Nowhere in my post did I mention the brand of either phone. Downgrade doesn't have to be based around the processor which you also like to bring up. There are MANY different things that can constitute a downgrade and my opinion (yes, I get to have one. And I stated in my last post that it was my OPINION) is that the epic is a downgrade. You don't have to agree, and it's very clear you don't, but I still get to say what I want.

Reactions: msvnlu and jxr94
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones