1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Evo 4G vs Epic 4G

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by facekl, Jun 28, 2010.

?

Which phone would you choose?

1. Epic 4G

203 vote(s)
    21.1%
  2. Evo 4G

758 vote(s)
    78.9%
  1. dan330

dan330 Extreme Android User
    None

Jan 22, 2010
    i dont have an epic...

but.. 200ft can be a lot... that is more than half a football field. if you are traveling down a highway that you dont know.. it could put you on the service road or vise versa.
    or near downtown.. you can be on the wrong road.
    this can completely miss you up! while trying to navigate roads you are not familiar too... and cause accidents.

i hate it when my phone has me off 50ft... and sometimes have me on the next road over....

Advertisement

2. RickJ

RickJ Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 19, 2009
    From what I gather is that when the Epic gets a lock in fair to optimum condtions, its accuracy / tracking is just as accurate as any other device (despite the 30 metre reporting bug).

That being said accuracy/tracking as well as reliable updating will also be affected by the low (very low) snrs. The phone will not use sats with numbers below a certain threshold consequently adversely affecting performance.

Additionally it seems that the Epic can only pull ephemeris data through the data network, not from the sats themselves and cannot work in a standalone mode. That in itself probably is inconsequential since in most situations you would need a data connection to pull the map.

I dont expect any fix for the low snrs, however a fix for automatic refreshing of the cache, or even getting sat ephemeris/almanac wouldnt be expecting too much. Should that be corrected then under at least fair conditions the gps should work as well as those who frequently toggle, or manually refresh/reboot report.

Someone earlier mentioned that they dont expect any fix since there has been plenty of time to fix since the Moment. It seems that the Epic does not suffer from the same problems as it's predecesors or brethren so I wouldnt discount it yet. On another note it seems that the leaked version of froyo has created more problems with the gps. Not the final release, so it doesnt mean much, but still doesnt sound good.

The Evo suits me perfectly so I wouldnt trade for the Epic, however if fixed I will get an Epic for my wife and certainly will have copious amounts of fun with it! The other reported issues like comparatively slower data and weaker reception probably wouldnt affect her. I have had phones with major variations of reception on the same network and since I spend a fair amount of time in the boonies I can't handle a lesser performer.

3. vodo

vodo Newbie
    None

May 18, 2010
    Oh well..I decided that I will be returning the EVO and cancelling my upgrade. The EVO is a very good phone but in the end the $10 monthly premium just irked the hell out of me. Especially since I always have 4g off to conserve battery life. I tried asking a sprint rep to just deactivate my 4g service (not even sure if that's possible) but that didn't work. It's not even really the money so much as what I feel is a sleazy business move. Maybe I'm just being petty...

4. RickJ

RickJ Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 19, 2009
    Sorry to hear that, just out of curiosity, what phone will you be going back to or getting in its place?

Im sure it's of little consequence, and you've heard it before, but the $10 is not for 4g per se, but rather the expected extra data usage that a device like this <likely> will consume regardless of 4g or not.

** FWIW this is not to say that blackberry (or other smart phone) users absolutely will consume less data, however it seems reasonable to assume that the target demographics for this and other similar multimedia phones are likely to consume more data than others. IMO it is a reasonably fair way of passing on the cost.

Calling it sleazy considering equivalent plans for other carriers (which are no less than equal and generally more expensive) isnt particualrily fair. That being said, if one is not making use of the features that the phone was designed around, maximizing its value, then it may not make sense economically to keep it.

5. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants
    None

Dec 2, 2009
    Network Admin
    Chicago
    Kind of. I mean, I know it's been said, but sprint STILL is the cheapest out of everyone while maintaining excellent service.

6. Caloy

Caloy Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2010
    Male
    Mad Scientist! MUAHAHAHA!
    Richmond, TX
    Since I got the phone way back in June, I only used up 5GB of data the first month, after that I've been averaging 1.5 GB of data a month. I don't even use 4G since it consume too much battery to be practical. It's a good thing that I love the phone too much so I just live with the 10 dollar premium (or whatever you call it). Only time will tell if I'll stay with Sprint after my contract is through, it will depend on the phone on offer and what carrier offers the best signal when we finally move to another city nearby. :)

7. C_Dub

C_Dub Member
    None

May 26, 2010
    Male
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Well the speaker blew out on my EVO and although I loved it while I had it, I'm on my way to switch to an Epic. A friend is giving me the hook-up at $300 for his wife's Epic (only a few days old) so I'm jumping on it. It was time for a change anyway but I'm disappointed it'll still be on 2.1 heh.

8. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Android Expert
    None

Dec 1, 2009
    Resource Consumer
    San Diego
    Get used to rooting if you're going with that one. That is, unless you just wanna sit on old software. Samsung is notoriously bad with keeping gone date with upgrades, leaving most people out to dry dealing with old software until they get a new phone all together. 2.2 is available if you root, but only that route. I remember with the moment, the only way to make it remotely usable was root or have nothing or next to nothing installed. The GPS is still an issue as well....

(If you can't tell, I have a vendetta against Samsung and anything they release. They're always last to the race, they've always got some glaring issue in their phones, and they never have a solid fix, or they throw out a solid fix after the phone has already been dumped for better things.)

9. toomuchgame441

toomuchgame441 Android Expert
    None

Oct 24, 2009
    Evo all the way!

10. rumiat

rumiat Newbie
    None

Jan 4, 2011
    I've been doing the same Evo vs. Epic back and forth that is pretty familiar around here. Researched them both a lot, to the point that it is a bit of a blur. On paper, and in reading user comments, I would really like to go with the Evo. However, hands-on, I can't get over how much more responsive the Epic feels, and the how much better the screen looks. The Evo just feels like it lags and jerks a little more to the touch, than the Epic. Is this a correct assessment? Oddly enough, I really appreciate this feature. Maybe because I've been a Palm Pre user, and am so tired of the lag.

So, I would appreciate advice from users on why the Evo is a better decision (particularly users who have used both?). I don't play games on the phone. I surf the web, do email, texting, sometimes movies, and the apps. I don't need a physical keyboard, but could deal with it. I need to tether, and don't want to pay anything for it (wired is ok, wifi is better).

Thanks.

11. jimdroid

jimdroid Android Expert
    None

Oct 31, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    I have no lag whatsoever on my Evo. It's stock and I have 80 applications loaded.

I too debated between the Evo and the Epic. The Epic's screen is brighter, but to me, the colors looked artificial in comparison with the Evo. The Evo's screen is great, very clear and sharp.

The Evo is the most solid phone I've owned (and I've owned dozens and dozens). It's not flashy, but it just works. There are only a few things I could think of to improve the Evo.

Having Froyo is really nice (better app availability, apps can be moved to SD card). I don't think the Epic has Froyo yet (though it's promised soon).

So, I can't talk you out of the Epic, but...

12. AmericanTemplar

None

Jun 5, 2010
    The Epic feels hollow to me like a Nintendo controller.

13. mdizzle99

mdizzle99 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 10, 2010
    Sounds like you're going to be rooting your phone in order to get what you want. Although both are good phones, with root, any perceived lagging will be gone and you will be able to wireless tether. One plus with the Evo is the support it receives. The Evo received Froyo much earlier than the Epic - same will be true of Gingerbread. That alone would make me lean toward the Evo over the Epic. You'd be fine with either one though.

14. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Android Expert
    None

May 4, 2010
    I have a stock Evo. Go to Sprint store. Handle both. Buy Evo.

linkman741 likes this.
  15. Drew5150

Drew5150 Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    SF
    there is also this option Sprint Newsroom | HTC EVO Shift? 4G fact sheet

but I say go for the evo. the lag differences you feel are really just the difference in the UI. and I've seen the opposite of what you posted in the op.

samsung doesn't give the best support either. we had froyo very early august and we have had 3 updates since then.

16. MissJennell

MissJennell Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 14, 2010
    Female
    Manager
    Oregon
    I have both in my possesion right now. I had to use my Epic today for a little bit and hated it compared to my EVO. I absolutely love my EVO. The Epic feels so cheap compared to the EVO. I don't like that. It also isn't as snappy as my EVO.

17. Zardos

Zardos Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 21, 2010
    Cell phone sales.
    Bacon Town, USA
    Cyanogenmod. That is all.

18. Tempusfugit

Tempusfugit Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 11, 2010
    Funny Story

I bought an evo online. Couldn't stand the wait while it was shipping. Went to a sprint store to play with an evo. After a little bit I picked up an epic. Someone was playing the asphalt demo before me so it was up and running- I made one turn and the damned thing went flying out of my hands - luckily it was attached to the anti theft cable... I haven't dropped my Evo once

19. chum1600

chum1600 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 17, 2010
    S. St. Louis County, MO
    I can not say enough about this. I had a small amount of lag with Sence, but since I swiched to cyanogenmod I have had no problems.

20. aburgthing

aburgthing Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 24, 2010
    District Chief in City of Pgh. paramedic rescue se
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    My experience with both phones (my wife's Epic and my Evo) are night and day comparisons. I won't even be so kind to say that the Epic is close; it is not. There are some nice elements to the Samsung UI, but it doesn't compare to Sense and I don't even use that. GPS is still hit or miss though it has gotten a little better on the Epic, on the Evo it's automatic and locks on in the house or wherever you are. The physical keyboard on the Epic works for my wife, I hate it; it's a waste of time. And the new Gingerbread keyboard is accurate, fast and good for thumb typing on the Evo. Support and development for the Evo is off the charts. Probably second only the the original N1. My personal experience is the Evo is just a good solid phone that is so good at all the things it can do, you almost long for another phone to be just a phone (but the Evo makes good phone calls too). If you take the plunge and root it (Evo), it will open up a whole new world and make you love it that much more. Thats my biased .02 cents worth but reading the Epic forums there seems to be a lot of regret and anger with the lack of promptness the Epic receives i.e. upgrades vs. the Evo.

21. dan330

dan330 Extreme Android User
    None

Jan 22, 2010
    i want to add in...

when you root the evo...
    there are choices and choices and choices...
    dev community extremely active!

epic.. not so many choices.

22. stevcha

stevcha Android Expert
    None

Nov 6, 2009
    I was planning on getting the Epic when I decided to upgrade my BB Curve. I went to the Sprint Store and played with the Epic and Evo. I loved the screen on the Epic and coming from BB I liked the physical keyboard. The screen size on the EVO was a big plus and the fact that it already had Froyo really swayed me. In the end the huge EVO development community and HTC quick release of updates made my decision. I love my EVO. I don't miss having a physical keyboard bc the Gingerbread KB is just that good imo. Go EVO you wont regret it.

23. linkman741

linkman741 Lurker
    None

Dec 28, 2010
    I had the Epic for 2 weeks. Hated it. The slide out keyboard is crap. It will skip over letters you type. My texts would come out like "hy whats p" and all the Epics I have tried, did it. So it wasnt just my phone. I switched to the Evo and like it a lot more!

24. a-dogg

a-dogg Newbie
    None

Jan 15, 2011
    On Monday, I will either be buying an Evo or Epic from Sprint. I've been researching these phones to death online... First I was going to get the Evo, then I decided on the Epic (slightly faster processor, amoled screen), but now I'm thinking Evo could be the way to go. I don't do much in the way of gaming, so if that's where the Epic's SLIGHTLY faster processor shines, it's irrelevant to me. And, of course, I've read all about Samsung's bad track record with support/updates, as well as the Epic's GPS issues. And, conversely, how HTC support is great.

My question is about the displays of the two phones. Does the fact that the Evo "only" shows 65k colors actually matter? Is the difference between that and the Epic's 16M actually discernible by the human eye? Initially, the Epic's amoled look brilliant to me, like it left the Evo's LCD in the dust. But I remembered back to when I was shopping for a TV. I settled on a plasma, since it looked more life-like, whereas the LCD/LEDs looked cartoonish. Would you say this is the same situation with the Epic's amoled display?

I'm just wondering if the amoled screen is actually a better screen (as far as natural color reproduction), or if it's just "stealing the show" because it pops so loud. (I do understand there are apparently apps that can modulate the amoled screen to tune down it's over-saturation)

Not trying to start any Evo vs. Epic wars here, just trying to educate myself.

Thanks!

25. Roq

Roq Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 22, 2009
    Orange County, Ca
    I've had an EVO since launch and my girlfriend has had the EPIC since launch. It basically comes down to if you want a keyboard or not. I think the Epics screen looks better, but it's not a deal breaker. Also I put the leaked Froyo release the Epic and it runs fine.

Tags: