• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Evo and apps hacked

Hi. New to forums, and trying to find info for a coworker. I know squat about Evos and Android, so let me just say that right off the bat.

Coworker's daughter called in hysterics. Someone has gotten access to her boyfriend's Yahoo, Facebook, Twitter account, and text messages. This person has also bragged that they know every phone call, text, etc that he makes on his phone, and made comments that they "own" his Sprint Evo phone, and it does indeed appear that they know everything that's happening on his phone. They have even somehow pulled photos off his phone, if I'm understanding correctly (there was a lot of sobbing involved).

Both kids are young college age, good kids, great reputations, and this sounds to me like an awful lot like a third party female with an issue. Both moms are flummoxed, since he's not had a serious girlfriend til now, and both kids are really rattled, since some of the stuff they're getting is really stalkerish. This person is going to the extreme of setting up throwaway Yahoo and Twitter accounts they delete as soon as they send some nastiness to both kids, and they also knew the instant he set up a new gmail account, and had his password.

I know pretty much any idiot can hack a Facebook or Yahoo account, but hacking a phone sounds pretty tech savvy, and this is a very personal attack.

Is there something about the Evo I'm missing here that they can read his texts, etc, without having his phone in their hands?

Both kids are really rattled and upset, so any suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

They easiest way to have accomplished something like this, assuming that the Evo is what is giving this person all the access, is to have physically had the phone in their hands so software could be installed to allow remote access. Best thing to do now is factory reset the Evo and do a whole lot of password changing, something with some security behind it.

Reactions: springlering
Upvote 0
There is an app called SMS Tracker. You can install a hidden version from the companies website straight to the phone. If you pay $10, you also get access to picture and video messages and browser information. Tell them to look in Setting -> Applications -> Manage Applications for an app called System Health, and remove it. That is the hidden SMS Tracker app. Not quite tech savvy, pretty simple to do really.

Reactions: springlering
Upvote 0
Thank you, Amneon. I think you may have hit the nail on the head. This sounds exactly like what she's describing, right down to this third person knowing who he is texting, what he's saying, and so on.

I've gotten a real education this afternoon, so thank you very much, gentlement (I assume!)

I want to be as smart as you all when I grow up. ;)

Upvote 0
Hey guys,

I have had some weirdness on my HTC EVO 4G too, just recently.

I have posted this to other threads on this forum so please do not blast me for double posts, but here is my story...

Here is a complete account of the problems I am having....

First, on Saturday 31 December, I was surfing the internet on my phone and all of the sudden a pictire on the web page I was viewing was selected. Then the 'save image' menu poped-up, then the phone itself scrolled through the options and selected the 'Set Image As Wallpaper' option, and then the menu closed. At the time, I did think the whole thing was strange, but I rationalized it as me possibally sending too may touch commands to the device (even though I was not touching the screen when the afore mentioned occurred). Anyway, I went into the settings and fixed my Wallpaper.

Then today, I turned on my HTC EVO device. I checked my e-mail, and then checked out a video on YouTube using the app. I then decided to comment on the video that I had just watched, and as I started to type my comment, the on-screen keyboard started typing random letters and characters. I kept deleting the unwanted text and it kept typing it out. Then I tried to reboot the phone and it froze up and I was forced to do a 'battery pull' (which I know is not great for an Android phone). Once the phone came back up, I tried to send an e-mail to Lookout and the on-screen keyboard started typing random letters and characters again. I again fought the problem with the delete key and again the phone froze, forcing me to do another 'battery pull'. Once the phone rebooted, I then accessed this forum, and attempted to type a message, at which time the on-screen keyboard started repeatedly typing 6 and y. I somehow finally got it to stop and was able to post my message. A little later, however, the phone froze again, and this time after it rebooted, following another ' battery pull' I was on one of my alternate home screen panels, and the phone started attempting to remove icons from the panel by trying to drag them to the bottom of the screen.

Basicly, with all of the afore mentioned issues it seemed as if someone was controlling my phone remotely, and was messing with me.

So in the end, my questions are this....

Has anyone else experienced this problem ?

and

Could a virus or exploit be allowing someone to remotely control by HTC EVO Android device through a 'Middle Man' attack using my the WiFi on my phone and my home WiFi network ?

Additional strangeness and thoughts....

First, it seems that when I turned off the WiFi on my HTC EVO, that problems (freezing, typing in random letters and removing and rearranging icons) seemed to have completely stopped, and then the problems resumed when I turned the WiFi function back on. Please note that I was using my home WiFi network, provided by Verizon DSL, yesterday (Jan. 3) and on December 31 so it was not a strange WiFi network.

Additionally, this morning (Jan. 4) when I started my HTC EVO phone up, it again started typing letters on its own then froze again. I did have the WiFi turned on and was connected to my home network. I did do a battery-pull and reboot the phone and as soon as I left my house, I did not have any problems. Also, I have had the WiFi turned on and have been connected to the office WiFi all day, and have not had a problem.

Please explain the reason that my home network WiFi seems to be adversely effecting my HTC EVO phone ? It is one of the additional reason that I am worried that my phone might have been hacked and is being remotely controlled.
Please note that I am actually quoting myself.

I have tried Lookout, Avast, and other Android Security app, and all have found nothing wrong. Also I have been very careful about only downloading apps from the Android Market.

Also, I have checked and know that I do not have System Health. I also do NOT use Any Social Networking sites at all.

Lastly, I have also contact HTC Tech support and was given several good suggestions, which I plan on doing (including do in a factory reset)

At this point, I just want to know if anyone else has heard of a virus or malware app that give a remote user access to your Android phone ?

Also is there a problem with my home WiFi network since all of the problems seem to be happening when I am at home ? And if there is something wrong with my home WiFi network, what can I do to fix it?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones