1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Evo and apps hacked

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by springlering, Sep 14, 2011.

1. springlering

springlering Lurker
    None

Sep 14, 2011
    Hi. New to forums, and trying to find info for a coworker. I know squat about Evos and Android, so let me just say that right off the bat.

Coworker's daughter called in hysterics. Someone has gotten access to her boyfriend's Yahoo, Facebook, Twitter account, and text messages. This person has also bragged that they know every phone call, text, etc that he makes on his phone, and made comments that they "own" his Sprint Evo phone, and it does indeed appear that they know everything that's happening on his phone. They have even somehow pulled photos off his phone, if I'm understanding correctly (there was a lot of sobbing involved).

Both kids are young college age, good kids, great reputations, and this sounds to me like an awful lot like a third party female with an issue. Both moms are flummoxed, since he's not had a serious girlfriend til now, and both kids are really rattled, since some of the stuff they're getting is really stalkerish. This person is going to the extreme of setting up throwaway Yahoo and Twitter accounts they delete as soon as they send some nastiness to both kids, and they also knew the instant he set up a new gmail account, and had his password.

I know pretty much any idiot can hack a Facebook or Yahoo account, but hacking a phone sounds pretty tech savvy, and this is a very personal attack.

Is there something about the Evo I'm missing here that they can read his texts, etc, without having his phone in their hands?

Both kids are really rattled and upset, so any suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

Advertisement

2. Swizz

Swizz Android Enthusiast

Nov 10, 2008
    Portland, OR
    They easiest way to have accomplished something like this, assuming that the Evo is what is giving this person all the access, is to have physically had the phone in their hands so software could be installed to allow remote access. Best thing to do now is factory reset the Evo and do a whole lot of password changing, something with some security behind it.

springlering likes this.
  3. springlering

springlering Lurker
    None

Sep 14, 2011
    Thanks, Swizz.

That's what I've gathered, dipping into various Android forums, and it makes sense. I will encourage him to do that.

Have spent a very educational hour learning about Faceniff and Firesheep as well, after they came up via google. Golly........what a world.

Thanks again!

4. AmneonX

AmneonX Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    http://www.androidwaypoint.com
    Michigan
    There is an app called SMS Tracker. You can install a hidden version from the companies website straight to the phone. If you pay $10, you also get access to picture and video messages and browser information. Tell them to look in Setting -> Applications -> Manage Applications for an app called System Health, and remove it. That is the hidden SMS Tracker app. Not quite tech savvy, pretty simple to do really.

springlering likes this.
  5. springlering

springlering Lurker
    None

Sep 14, 2011
    Thank you, Amneon. I think you may have hit the nail on the head. This sounds exactly like what she's describing, right down to this third person knowing who he is texting, what he's saying, and so on.

I've gotten a real education this afternoon, so thank you very much, gentlement (I assume!)

I want to be as smart as you all when I grow up. ;)

6. kct1975

kct1975 Android Expert
    None

Sep 26, 2011
    Male
    NoVA
    Hey guys,

I have had some weirdness on my HTC EVO 4G too, just recently.

I have posted this to other threads on this forum so please do not blast me for double posts, but here is my story...

Please note that I am actually quoting myself.

I have tried Lookout, Avast, and other Android Security app, and all have found nothing wrong. Also I have been very careful about only downloading apps from the Android Market.

Also, I have checked and know that I do not have System Health. I also do NOT use Any Social Networking sites at all.

Lastly, I have also contact HTC Tech support and was given several good suggestions, which I plan on doing (including do in a factory reset)

At this point, I just want to know if anyone else has heard of a virus or malware app that give a remote user access to your Android phone ?

Also is there a problem with my home WiFi network since all of the problems seem to be happening when I am at home ? And if there is something wrong with my home WiFi network, what can I do to fix it?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.