• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Evo (Android) + tablets = ???

Quick background...
So I'm a former iPhone owner. Now I've got an HTC EVO 4G (bought it in January) and I'm very happy with it. Great phone. Much better screen than my old iPhone. Amazing navigation. Overall an excellent phone.

And onto my story...
I originally bought this phone because I work 24 hr shifts on an ambulance. I wanted something with a bigger screen for browsing the internet. Well now I want something even bigger. So I've been looking into the different tablet options out there. It's basically come down to two choices. The Motorola Xoom or iPad 2. I've noticed a few things and it's raised a few questions.

The Xoom is obviously the option for expandability. But I'm literally only buying this for internet browsing and watching movies. Of course I'll DL a bunch of apps and play the occasional game, but movies and the internet are my primary reasons for considering this purchase. With that said, does one have any obvious benefit over the other?

Also, the plans seem very limited in their data cap each month! Would I be able to use my EVO (unlimited everything in my contract) as a mobile hotspot and not be charged data minutes (not sure if that was the right terminology) towards the iPad or Xoom contract? I suppose I'm asking which device gets charged the data usage. Because I think the data cap for the basic tablet package is like a gig a month. I'd easily go over that...

And finally, which has the better performance? I couldn't tell with my limited experience at Bestbuy. It seems like both sides claim theirs is faster than the other...

PLEASE post anything else I might be missing from this comparison or things I should be considering. I'm expecting this place to lean in favor of the Xoom obviously. But I'm coming here to see that other side. Because most of the people I've talked to have all been pushing me towards the iPad2. Although who knows, perhaps you all have iPad in your houses!!! :eek::D:p

Not normally an Apple person(other than an iTouch) as of right now if you have a netflix account then iPad 2 is the way to go...they already have a netflix app and if you have Time Warner cable you can download their app to watch any of your channels on your ipad. I personally like android waaaaay more than iOS though because I feel "trapped" as far as customization on it. But then again thats just my opinion

Reactions: Roadracer247
Upvote 0
Evo + tablets = ???

Also, the plans seem very limited in their data cap each month! Would I be able to use my EVO (unlimited everything in my contract) as a mobile hotspot and not be charged data minutes (not sure if that was the right terminology) towards the iPad or Xoom contract? I suppose I'm asking which device gets charged the data usage. Because I think the data cap for the basic tablet package is like a gig a month. I'd easily go over that...

p

You can add the wifi hotspot feature to your EVO and get unlimited data to any wifi capable device you want. This will run you 30 bucks a month for unlimited data. So, just get a wifi only tablet and tether it wirelessly to your EVO.. its unlimited data this route (even for your tethered devices).

Or, you can root your EVO and do this for free. but, if you are a heavy data user, you might run into trouble (e.g. Sprint finds out and terminates your service).

So, if you're using a lot of data while tethered, the $30 a month to activate your EVO's hotspot isn't bad, or at least cheaper than adding a tablet w/ data plan.

Reactions: Roadracer247
Upvote 0
I've owned an original ipad, and I knew I wanted to upgrade. I bought a Xoom and gave it an honest try. I really wanted to like it... I really did. Anyway, it's gone back and I'm a very happy owner of an ipad 2. I use the hotspot feature on my Evo to run the ipad.. works very well.

If you wanna get really tricky go get yourself a Slingbox Solo or Slingbox HD and watch your own dvr on your ipad from anywhere. Only these two models will work, so keep it in mind.

Upvote 0
iPad has some unique capabilities in the 'video watching' arena.
- As stated earlier, iPad has Netflix. Big bonus there.
- Also, iPad does Digital Copy. Android does not.
- However, the Time Warner Cable app isn't going to help you at all. It ONLY works on your home wireless network. You know, when you're already in the same room with your full-sized TV :thinking: It does not function anywhere else.

But going back in the other direction...
- Android has better options for downloading television content. There are some pretty decent apps that will let you watch tons of good old stuff on demand.
- Android also lets you go to websites for various stations and watch new episodes directly from that site.
- However, both of the above abilities are dependent upon Adobe Flash capabilities. The Xoom doesn't have Flash... YET (they say it's coming soon). The iPad, on the other hand, is never going to get flash.

So, my line of thinking is...
If you want Movies or old TV shows on Netflix, go with the iPad.
If you want TV in general (new and old), go with the Xoom... whenever it gets Flash.

Upvote 0
You are trying to decide between a Xoom and an iPad 2? Wow. Only the biggest of Android homers will suggest the Xoom over the iPad 2. Its like suggesting the Zune (even rhymes with Xoom) over the iPod. You also have to think long term. Apple sold more iPad 2 on launch day then Motorola has sold Xoom since it came out! How long do you think a failed product will be supported? Not long. There will be new Android tablets very soon and the Xoom will be forgotten about shortly. Your best bet for an Android tablet is the View. That might at least sell a bit and get supported. I have the iPad 2 after taking back the Galaxy Tab which was a joke in comparison. I say go for the iPad, no shortage of apps and its already proven.

Upvote 0
Its like suggesting the Zune (even rhymes with Xoom) over the iPod.
Brings up a good point. The Zune isn't locked into a particular music market. It is much more versatile in that respect. (Though the iPod has WAAAAAAAY more versatility in 3rd party docks and cases).

With the Xoom vs. iPad, one must consider that, if they were already using an Android device, the will have to start from scratch with purchasing and downloading apps from the apple store. In contrast, all of the previously purchased android apps will be available. Same goes the other way, there is a distinct advantage to buying the tablet that has an OS that matches your phone.

Upvote 0
Brings up a good point. The Zune isn't locked into a particular music market. It is much more versatile in that respect. (Though the iPod has WAAAAAAAY more versatility in 3rd party docks and cases).

With the Xoom vs. iPad, one must consider that, if they were already using an Android device, the will have to start from scratch with purchasing and downloading apps from the apple store. In contrast, all of the previously purchased android apps will be available. Same goes the other way, there is a distinct advantage to buying the tablet that has an OS that matches your phone.

True to an extent. I happen to love having both the Market and the App store, I get the best of both without having to choose only 1 system. Kinda like owning an Xbox 360 and a PS3 :D Most every app in the app store I have been able to find for free, so it really hasnt been an issue.

Upvote 0
I've spent extensive time with both the iPad 2 and the Xoom.

The iPad 2 truly feels like it is an entire generation newer. The Xoom is heavy. It also just feels sluggish and unpolished next to the iPad. Apple has a HUGE head start here. When the next generation Android Tablets (assuming there will be some...) come out, hopefully they'll be better. The price situation is also pretty dire...$599? Sorry...but try again, Motorola.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones