• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

EVO availability for sprint employees and advantage club

I keep looking for things to keep my hopes up. With the release of the Epic, the availability of the EVO finally on sprints website, and hearing that many stores are through their waiting lists Im becoming hopeful that the EVo may be available by late september/early october. Of course this might just be me seeing the glass 1/8 full, hopefully we get an update soon.

Upvote 0
I keep looking for things to keep my hopes up. With the release of the Epic, the availability of the EVO finally on sprints website, and hearing that many stores are through their waiting lists Im becoming hopeful that the EVo may be available by late september/early october. Of course this might just be me seeing the glass 1/8 full, hopefully we get an update soon.

LOL... same here.

I figure we should get it this month.

Upvote 0
i am on the fence about the epic or evo.. both have great specs. it makes it so hard...

Epic has the power
EVO has the finesse

went to BB to check out the epic... that screen is very nice.

but there are 2 things that keep me from changing.

1. GPS.. maybe an issue
2. the power plug... it is on top of the phone! this is just a bad place. think of using a car mount, that just dont look right with the cable coming out the top of the phone into your field of vision. also how many times has the phone need to be charged in the car .. and you need to make a call? now put that up to your ear and the cable has to come around to the top of the phone... it pulling and torquing the usb connection plug. Try to hold it.. between your shoulder and head.

Upvote 0
i am on the fence about the epic or evo.. both have great specs. it makes it so hard...

Epic has the power
EVO has the finesse

1. GPS.. maybe an issue
2. the power plug... it is on top of the phone! this is just a bad place. think of using a car mount, that just dont look right with the cable coming out the top of the phone into your field of vision. also how many times has the phone need to be charged in the car .. and you need to make a call? now put that up to your ear and the cable has to come around to the top of the phone... it pulling and torquing the usb connection plug. Try to hold it.. between your shoulder and head.

Oh wow.

I think I am gonna stay with the EVO. First, I am not a fan of sliders, and that GPS issue concerns me.

Putting a plug up top seems backwards.

Upvote 0

Epic has the power
EVO has the finesse

1. GPS.. maybe an issue

I think you'd better go play with an epic and see how much of a difference there really is in the "power" department. If you notice, you dont hear anyone saying how much faster the epic supposedly is than the evo anymore. I pointed that out before it even came out because I already knew it was the case.

Upvote 0
I think you'd better go play with an epic and see how much of a difference there really is in the "power" department. If you notice, you dont hear anyone saying how much faster the epic supposedly is than the evo anymore. I pointed that out before it even came out because I already knew it was the case.

i am not going to argue with you on this point...because we maybe be arguing the same point

on paper the specs does show EPIC has more power. cpu and mem and speaker and a few other things.

but EVO (HTC) has put what they do have in the phone together with better balance and function. this might bring the user interaction to see a better over all response.

Examples: Moment vs Hero.. Moment has better specs.. but My hero feels faster in most day to day use.

BMW 335ci vs Chevy Camaro SS... the SS has the specs.. but the 335ci feel so much better over all in day to day use and more. (ok .. IMHO) :D

Upvote 0
I thought I had heard that the Epic might be better for games as it had a better GPU. Anyone know if that is the case?

yes.. that is the case.

but.. there are things that the epic does not do well. you might want to do a little more research. and play with one and the EVO before u make a decision. both are great and have thier pros and cons.

Upvote 0
Do people actually game on their phone that much to make a decision on whether to buy one off that? I have a lot of games and I think i've only played backbreaker once in the 3 months that i've had it.

yes.. some do..
and if you have kids.. it is great distraction for them.. when you need time to concentrate.

Agreed. Teeter allows me to get long drives done with minimal "are we there yets."

Upvote 0
So do your kids notice and complain about the 30 fps? lol

mine is only 6 yrs old. so she dont notice.

but some have kids that are older and want the more intensive games with more graphics and wow factor.

I personally like to play on my PS3... at home.. in my big chair. but I would love the option to play bigger games on my phone.. when I am stuck and bored someplace. The option is all I want.

question.. why buy a turbo 911 for over $120K.. when the speed limit is 55mph? I want the option and know that I can.. when I want to!... ps....I dont have this option :(

Upvote 0
the problem is that the evo isnt available yet to advantage members and he doesnt want to pay full price for it. So even though i would pay full price I'm pretty much stuck until it is available to him.

Tell your buddy to get you a free Sprint phone and start your advantage club account. It should only take 3-5 days for you to receive your phone and in the meantime go buy an EVO off craigslist and just make sure you meet the person in a sprint store to verify the ESN is clean. When your free phone comes in the mail call up to Employee care and have them activate your EVO. Last step is to post your free phone for sale on craigslist to offset the cost of the paying for the EVO....or just keep it as a backup.

Upvote 0
Tell your buddy to get you a free Sprint phone and start your advantage club account. It should only take 3-5 days for you to receive your phone and in the meantime go buy an EVO off craigslist and just make sure you meet the person in a sprint store to verify the ESN is clean. When your free phone comes in the mail call up to Employee care and have them activate your EVO. Last step is to post your free phone for sale on craigslist to offset the cost of the paying for the EVO....or just keep it as a backup.

Yea but... buying it outright youre looking at upwards of $500 brand new.. maybe a little less. What free phone are you going to get from sprint to offset that?

Upvote 0
Yea but... buying it outright youre looking at upwards of $500 brand new.. maybe a little less. What free phone are you going to get from sprint to offset that?

Good point.

I have flip-flopped on purchasing it outright, and now, I am leaning towards just waiting it out. I will be irate with myself if I bought it full price now, and it got released to SWAC this (same) month.

Had I bought it at release, that pill would be easier to swallow...

Upvote 0

if he has been on swac before the evo came out they wont activate it... I activated my evo on my employee plan but they almost denied me till they looked my information up and saw I was hired after the evo came out

Upvote 0
This phone came out a 1/4 of year ago and we're all still waiting. Probably will have to continue for still some time, since it isn't available on sprint's website anymore and I doubt we will be seeing it until the needs for regular accounts are met.

1/4 of a year, I like that, kinda like when my daughter says she is 5 and 3/4 yrs old.

I agree 100% since they pulled the Evo off the website *again*, not looking good.

I'm actually kinda of glad I had to wait now, the epic is looking like a better phone anyway. Saw that screen and wow, also I'm a keyboard guy. Worth it to try them out side by side IMHO.

Reactions: mcnutty
Upvote 0
Went to the Sprint Store today for my Treo Pro. While waiting i was talking with the store rep. He told me there were 150 customers waiting for the EVO and they are getting 3-4 per day. Do the math. On another note he mentioned the reason the production on the EVO is so backed up is because the new iPhone and the EVO both share an unique part so thats why both phones are taking for ever. Hope this helps. Sucks being on this stupid employee plan.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones