• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Evo Booting Problems

rdlaner

Lurker
Feb 2, 2011
Hi,
I'm not really sure what just happened to my Evo and could use some help on figuring it out.
I use (used) Launcher Pro and was trying to load a flash image on the dolphin mini browser and it consistently failed and closed the browser. So, I restarted the phone in hopes to fix the issue. Instead, the phone got stuck on the "4G" start up image. I pulled the battery and tried to restart and after that the evo eventually booted up, but now most of the applications force close almost immediately after loading them, Launcher Pro is nowhere to be found, none of the widgets will load and in general all my settings have been lost. I can't update the market, many of the apps reverted back to old previous versions (ie facebook, android market, etc).
I really have no idea what could have caused this and am just as at a loss as to how to fix this.
Anybody have any thoughts, questions, insights, or suggestions???

Thanks!

You are rooted right. Why no backup! Seriously do that once it is fixed.

Wait...what rom are you using? The settings may in fact be gone and though the ruu will fix everything that might be extreme. It sounds like lp may have taken a dive not necessarily the entire rom. The market is giving alot of people issues that may just be coincidence

Upvote 0
If he's not rooted, then he can't use that RUU, right?

You have to already have root (or at the very least a custom recovery) to flash a ROM.

EDIT: and I think we're getting a little confused here. That's not a RUU. It's a rooted ROM pulled from the contents of a RUU. I didn't check the link to see what it was first :p. The OP can't do anything with that. He could run an official RUU, but that's over the top. A factory reset should fix it. If not, then it's RUU time.

Reactions: Mr. Ed
Upvote 0
The only apps I am able to run are the native google apps, like gmail and maps, etc.
I do have appbrain, but every time I try to run the app, it force closes.

Have you synced your apps with appbrain recently? If so, you're in good shape.

1) Login to appbrain on your computer
2) Click the link for "My Apps"
3) Select the option to select all
4) Click the drop down that says "Add to list"
5) Select the option that says "Create new list"
6) Name the list "App backup" or something like that
7) Make sure the new list is created and lists the same thing that the default list has

Once you wipe everything out, you can sync with appbrain (which will wipe out your default list), then go to the backup list, select the install option for each one, sync with appbrain on your phone, and install everything.

Upvote 0
Great. I wonder what happened exactly. Either way, a factory reset usually fixes stuff like that. If you still have no intention of rooting, you might want to do at least some kind of backup. The appbrain app list is a good start. You also might want SMS Backup & Restore, and you can even use something called mybackup pro to backup as much as you possibly can without root.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones