1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Support EVO camera back focuses like crazy

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dougrb, Feb 18, 2011.

1. dougrb

dougrb Member

I'm pretty sure that it never used to have this problem, but don't recall when it changed. I was never too too much into using the camera since I have a Nikon D300, but there are definitely times I do want to use it. Sometimes the focus will be almost there, but you can tell it's still well off because the area in back of where I want it focused on is mega sharp. It doesn't matter if I use the finger tap to the screen and hold method or if I just use the shutter button method. But when I DO use the finger tap and hold method, it back focuses a LOT more.

After doing some tests just now, it seems that it's an issue with depth. I can get a really sharp image of anything on a flat plane, but if there's any depth, it will focus towards the furthest most back part of that object. But then again, it also depends on the object as well. Look through this gallery and this becomes evident. The first photo has the object I focused on captured in really good detail and shows good DOF with the background.

But in all of the flower shots, I'm putting the focus on the stamen in the foreground, and it back focuses all the time. In fact, it just seems to not want to focus on any of the foreground of the lily's, only the back. I wasn't moving, and I wasn't too close. Those shots of the swiffer mop are pretty darned close though (5 inches away?) and had no problems getting a sharp image of it. Same goes for the vinegar bottle n' such.

What's up with that?
    Here's the link.

Look here

I wonder if this is something fixable and how much it would cost. Because the camera performs quite well, aside from this really poor focusing issue. It's a good thing to have in a pinch if it works right.

Doug

Edit: Not sure what happened during upload but now all the photos have been mangled a bit at their bottoms. Meh@Google and uploading from Android.

Advertisement

2. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Extreme Android User

Auto focus on...everything set for auto and metering set at spot or center. Do not tap to focus. Long press focal point until picture is taken.. iso really should have been changed to flourescent in these but I left it on auto.

focal point, long press was on the skittles
    [​IMG]

focal point, long press was the top of the keurig
    [​IMG]

focal point was the nesquick
    [​IMG]

I am pretty sure it is the suto focus being turned off that causes the back focus...but the metering mode definitely made a small difference too

3. P_Dub

P_Dub Member

I know this is a couple months old, but I completely agree on the back focus. You can see the camera focus perfectly and as soon as the focal point is clear and sharp, it backs up and becomes blurry.

I wonder if it is because the camera actually zooms in a bit while it's focusing, and once it sets the focus, it zooms back out. I don't recall using a camera that ever did that.