1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Accessories EVO Camera Protection

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by TrebleStauter, May 20, 2010.

1. gelatinguy

gelatinguy Newbie
    None

Jun 6, 2010
    I agree with a couple others who said to cut circles out of screen protectors. I did that on day one and the photos/video/apps that use the camera function very nicely. I really don't know why anyone would go to the trouble of putting rubber feet or suction cups on just for the camera when a circle of screen protector does the job. Obviously it won't protect from a knife jabbed directly into the lens, but neither does any other solution in this thread. There are some very creative ideas here, but I honestly don't know why anyone would bother with them over a simple and effective screen protector.

I cut a circle from a screen protector for my old phone. I had an extra and now I can still cut many circles out of it if I need to, but that thing ain't budging.

Advertisement

2. aimzmarie

aimzmarie Newbie
    None

Jun 21, 2010
    vet assistant
    slo, ca

these were just suggestions. they are not finished ideas. i posted them in hopes of someone else getting a new idea from them and hopefully coming up with a solution.

just because you would rather put a screen protector on your lens doesn't mean everyone else will. this is not an option for me. i don't want tape leaving residue on my lens. i don't want a screen protector on it because i want to get the absolute most from my pictures as far as clarity and quality.

personally, i would rather waste 10 minutes of my time creating something to protect it from FLAT surfaces than putting something directly on the lens.

anyone else have any other ideas besides putting tape or screen skins on my lens?

3. SeauxCrazy

SeauxCrazy Android Enthusiast
    None

May 30, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    I'm sorry, but your two attempts are not for me. IMO, it looks trashy on such a sexy phone. Why not just get a case that lifts the lens off the table? Seems like a cleaner solution...

I have an Amzer TPU case on my phone, doesn't add bulk, but enough to lift the camera off of flat surfaces.

4. CPR

CPR Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 14, 2010
    Yet, it will still scratch. ;)

5. jmoh

jmoh Newbie
    None

Jun 19, 2010
    I'm thinking a screen protector is your best bet, or maybe see if we can convince a case manufacturer to implement some sort of protective cover on their cases.

6. MarBaby

MarBaby Lurker
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    kroger.
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Innocase. It protects it.

7. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Android Expert
    None

May 4, 2010
    Innocase protects it most of the time. If I think I'm going to be in a situation that needs lens coverage in particular (off clip inside a pocket with keys or something), I just tape a piece of leftover screen protection on temporarily. Of all the features on the phone, camera happens to be the one I use least.

I wish they would have made the phone to the thickness of the camera so it would lay flush or below surface of the back cover. That might have left room for a bigger battery too.

8. rkkeller

rkkeller Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 25, 2010
    The Dog Pound.
    I was thinking the same thing as this thread, had my EVO 8 days now. I use one of those no lint cleaning cloths that you use on camera lenses and things like that. Its good for setting it on and also wiping off fingerprints.

I fold it in half and have one in all the areas I use my EVO. One is next to the computer, on the shelf next to my couch and one at work on my desk. These are about the only places I ever set mine down at, otherwise its always in a top shit pocket.

When I done using my EVO, I just set it on the folded cloth.

9. conor.in

conor.in Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 20, 2010
    Indiana
    I'm so glad I opted for the 2-pack of Seidio screen protectors. Sounds like one is getting cut up.

10. megapixle

megapixle Newbie
    None

Oct 15, 2010
    Top Shit Pocket, now that would be a cool name for a phone case manufacturer.

11. clwoodwork

clwoodwork Newbie
    None

May 7, 2010
    Electronic Tech
    Denver, CO
    Just a thought, if you wish to cover the lens with screen protector material use a hole punch then you will have a perfectly round cover.

Peace, Chuck

12. myriam

myriam Member
    None

May 17, 2010
    Census worker while lasts
    Austin, Texas
    I just did. It's so easy. I have a hole punch that makes big holes. It fits perfectly. I even took some pictures. They came out very good. I recommend it. :)

13. conor.in

None

Oct 20, 2010
    Indiana
    A big hole punch... huh. That would be really useful.

14. ImaYam

ImaYam Member
    None

Sep 23, 2010
    Stocks 'n Bonds
    NYC
    You guys realise that the camera protection circle is plastic, right?

Oh you say otherwise?

Well put it under a light, and press on it with your fingernail. Dont press too hard, since this plastic scratches, and youll see that it easily bends (youll be able to tell by the reflection of the light source)

Everything I have tried has lead to a washed out picture. Tape, epoxy (a special kind which creates a film and can be peeled off later..didnt work), clear liners...

However, a good solution I recommended everyone is simply to take about a square inch of saran wrap, and moisten it with your breath, then apply it to your phone, and I have done shots and it has proven to be the best solution as there is absolutely no washout colors anymore, and it covers the metal ring around the cam too. I have no problem replacing it once every few months!

Good luck! :]

15. KMoore7580

KMoore7580 Member
    None

Aug 18, 2010
    Innocase rugged here. Not a problem at all.

16. blckz28

blckz28 Newbie
    None

Jun 11, 2010
    I have a crack running down the middle of my lens and a bunch of fine scratches. The picture still look great.

17. Shawnz

Shawnz Android Enthusiast
    None

May 31, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm using a < $2.50 shipped TPU case and my camera is protected, as is the screen etc. Yes it adds a little bulk to the phone but it did not take long to get used to. I prefer the feel of the phone in the case.

18. conor.in

None

Oct 20, 2010
    Indiana
    Does anyone have any pictures they took with a screen protector on the lens?

19. MisterB

MisterB Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 25, 2009
    D

Dang, man. When you were a kid, did your mother have a sofa like this or something?

[​IMG]

20. droidjock

droidjock Newbie
    None

Nov 5, 2010
    I use this:

Amazon.com: Cellet Black Rubber Coated Rubberized Elite Holster with Swivel Belt Clip for Sprint HTC Evo 4G 9292 Supersonic: Cell Phones & Accessories

In addition to having a recessed camera lens when using this case, the swivel belt clip in upright (vertical) position protects the lens further from other objects in your pocket or bag/container. The case itself is slim enough and has a nice rubber coating on it and the option of being able to clip it to the belt also comes in handy...and the price is right - I bought two of them.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

21. Evo_droid_user

None

Jan 27, 2011
Tags: